Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Chemistry Major here, doesn't know what to do. honeypot

Author Topic: Chemistry Major here, doesn't know what to do.  (Read 4449 times)

Offline vbre101

• Very Lite User
Chemistry Major here, doesn't know what to do.
« on: Mar 13, 2010, 01:13 »
Hey guys,
I'm a current freshman at the University of Central Florida and want to Major in Chemistry with a Minor in Physics. I have been wanting to join the service since I was a LET 1 in JROTC my 5 years ago. I went crazy trying to find which branch would help me get what I want to become. My aspirations are to become a Medical Researcher then later become a Chemistry Professor/ High School Teacher. Sounds like a lot but becoming a professor/teacher is when I am around 45-50 yrs old. I know I can go to medical school with any degree. I have to pass the MCATS and what not.

In my search, I found that becoming a Navy Nuke is the only way of gaining experience in the chemistry field. Figured why not, heck I'm getting annoyed at pointless classes here at UCF anyways... and arrogant students as well. So I want to serve and gain experience, who doesn't? But I'm not sure if going Navy Nuke will help be gain my degree in Chemistry/Physics and help me in the long run to become a medical researcher. On top of that I'm not sure what to choose Active/Reservist. I have been told by many to choose Reservist because that way I still get to go to school and have a job. Anyone have any suggestions?

Offline vbre101

• Very Lite User
Re: Chemistry Major here, doesn't know what to do.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2010, 02:23 »
Thanks, I appreciate it.

Offline superbee

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 12:28 »
In my search, I found that becoming a Navy Nuke is the only way of gaining experience in the chemistry field. Figured why not, heck I'm getting annoyed at pointless classes here at UCF anyways... and arrogant students as well. So I want to serve and gain experience, who doesn't? But I'm not sure if going Navy Nuke will help be gain my degree in Chemistry/Physics and help me in the long run to become a medical researcher. On top of that I'm not sure what to choose Active/Reservist. I have been told by many to choose Reservist because that way I still get to go to school and have a job. Anyone have any suggestions?

As someone going into the health care field, let me say this:  Do not become a nuke just to rack up another EC on your application for medical school.  You will be a miserable sailor.  If you want experience, then pursue an internship.  We're sending students to labs in Berkeley all the way from somewhere way outside California. 

Military service is a big plus on your application, but you should sign up at least for a field where you have some inherent interest.  The chemistry used in navy nuclear power plants is on the same level of as that needed to maintain a pool at the proper pH and won't really make you look like a field expert.

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 05:05 »
My aspirations are to become a Medical Researcher then later become a Chemistry Professor/ High School Teacher. Sounds like a lot but becoming a professor/teacher is when I am around 45-50 yrs old. I know I can go to medical school with any degree. I have to pass the MCATS and what not.
Your goals, while high, seem all over the place. This is normal for a college freshman, but you can't really have it all in this regard and be successful.

What would probably fit your goals best is to get A's in college and apply for a medical PhD program. You would be able to teach Chemistry (among other subjects) at the collegiate/graduate school level while also working in research. Many PhD's teach on the side because it pays a lot for very little time consumed. It's like having a part time job that pays over $50k/year.

Something you probably haven't learned goes down significantly starting at around 40 unless you've done something to make yourself valuable. In other words, if you're applying for a job with no prior experience in that field at "45-50," chances are you are going to lose that position to like-qualified 22-24 year-olds who have the same exact in-field qualification that you do. Since you will not have held a teaching job prior to that age, it's unlikely that a school district is going to want to hire you over someone else who is much younger. I am not saying it's impossible to get a job or change careers when you are middle aged, but I am saying that it's harder due to a myriad of factors.
In my search, I found that becoming a Navy Nuke is the only way of gaining experience in the chemistry field.
I don't know where you got this information from. If you're talking about becoming an ELT, you have to realize that many ELT's never took a college course. Additionally, you can't guarantee yourself an ELT assignment, let alone an MM assignment to even have a shot at ELT when you sign up for the Navy. If you go officer, you will not be using that advanced chemistry degree at all.

There are many ways to obtain experience in the chemistry field through research and internships. Joining the nuclear Navy in hopes that you get ELT is not one of those ways.
Figured why not, heck I'm getting annoyed at pointless classes here at UCF anyways... and arrogant students as well.
Life lesson: you'll have to learn to deal with all types of people. What are you going to do when you're stuck under water with arrogant so-and-so for 6-8 months?

I find it ironic that a person who says "I know I can go to medical school" is calling other people arrogant. You do realize that the average acceptance GPA is around the 3.8-3.9 range, right? That's a bold claim for you to make when the hardest class you've taken is probably intro to 6th grade writing.
So I want to serve and gain experience, who doesn't? But I'm not sure if going Navy Nuke will help be gain my degree in Chemistry/Physics and help me in the long run to become a medical researcher.
It won't. You will not have time to work on your degree during your initial commitment. You will essentially be putting your goals on hold for 5-6 years. The only thing that you will have to show for it is some life experience and the GI bill, but neither of which will make you a shoe-in for a PhD program.
Anyone have any suggestions?
Yes. While I commend your desire to serve, the Navy doesn't fit in with your long term goals the way that you think it does. If you are willing to put those things on hold for a few years, then by all means enlist.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 05:13 by spekkio »

Offline KUrunner

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 06:32 »
Here's my two cents:

I have a B.S. in Chemistry with a Bioanalytical emphasis as well as M.S. in Physical Chemistry.  I was also a nuclear machinist mate.  In absolutely no way did being a nuke prepare or contribute to my chemistry career.  Don't get me wrong; I LOVED my time in the Navy -- so much that my husband decided to enlist.  During the pipeline, you will have some chemistry, but it's equivalent to the first few weeks of Gen Chem. 

If you want to be a medical researcher, get your chemistry degree and do undergrad research in a biological field.  If you want to be a high school teacher, forget getting a Ph.D. and get your teaching certificate.  If you want to be a doctor, get your degree and do awesome on the MCATs.  If you want to be a college professor or work in industry, get your Ph.D.  If you want to serve your country, join the Navy. 

Just a heads up though -- in this economy, it's getting harder and harder to get into a graduate program because all of the unemployed chemists figure it's a good time to go back to school.  Same thing about getting a teaching position.  Most school districts aren't even hiring subs, let alone full-time teachers.

Oh, and if you do decide to get a degree, you'll have to take those "pointless classes" sometime.   ;)
The first rule of thermodynamics is you don't talk about thermodynamics.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?