Career Path > Safety

BBS

<< < (4/6) > >>

Iceman24601:
Where I work we go to extreme measures to ensure that every analyst is safe and feels safe.  We spend 10's of hours a week working directly with the analysts and try to be positive, positive, positive.  As for my safety crew, though, I'm blunt and direct that I expect 110% from them and expect them to work harder than anyone else. ::)  We have a good management backed safety culture but it seems that no one will spend the extra five minutes to double check our work so we have to be 100% on the ball every day, every time.  I'm honest with my crew that it's probably unfair but that's why we have job security... no one else wants to do what we do everyday!   ;)  Love this thread by the way!

mostlyharmless:
Thank you. Now I can understand what I call passive consent. When a supervisor allows workers to ignore practices like wearing safety glasses when required (weather you agree or not) steel toe shoes, proper monitoring techniques, etc.  Some things are considered insignificant and are not enforced or rather encouraged.
The insidious nature of this environment is this: if I am the only one to hold the line day after day and am not backed up then I am the bad guy. I get tired of being the ---hole that makes them wear the glasses, shoes,etc.  And if I backslide once I lose all credibility.
I will rethink my thinking. I tend to look for large issues and will now reconsider.
So BWT is like the Russian saying " look after the kopecks and the rubles take care of themselves".
Thank you, I have accomplished something with this thread; I have learned something.MH

Already Gone:
Don't swing too far on that pendulum, dude.  Being a safety glass monitor, or stomping on shoes, isn't going to get you there.  The whole idea is this:  Safe behavior depends on choices.  If good choices lead to positive results, they will be repeated.  If bad choices lead to good results, they will be repeated too.  The objective of the BWT, it to make peer pressure a motivator.  So, if you wear your harness and get a good feedback from your peers, you will wear your harness.  If the negative reaction to leaving the harness in the box is greater than the ease and comfort of not wearing it, you will (again) wear your harness.
See?  This is the tie in to BBS.  It's cultural.  If your culture is one where you will be "one of the crowd" for doing the right thing, and ostracized for making the wrong choices, you will try to do what is right so you will fit in.  Conversely, if your culture makes it "uncool" to wear your PPE, and leaving a pile of trash at your worksite is accepted, you will do things that even you don't agree with just to fit in.
Really, if you look at the workplace like an advanced version of High School, this all makes sense.
Your Russian maxim is still on point, though.  Encouraging and rewarding small positive choices and behaviors will lead to a baseline culture that is safety positive.  Therefore the big things won't be so difficult.

Let me quote Archimedes here (with some parenthetical comments):
Give me a lever (peer pressure), and a fulcrum (standards), and a firm place to stand (management support) and I will move the Earth.

Chimera:
Daaang, BC!  As always, you are the master (no sarcasm intended or implied).  If'n you have no objections, I'm going to use that modified quote.

mostlyharmless:
NO, I don't want to be the safety police. I use the glasses as as easy example. I am looking for expanded perspective. Thats why the feedback is important to me, and a lot of other people judging by the number of views. In my years in the field I have seen a lot and am trying to understand a little better. Folks I really appreciate the posts. If you are not registered, please do, and post. Some of the things we discuss on this site have the potential to influence in a good way. So please share the information.
I think at worst these programs are endured but get people to think a little more about safety. At best they may motivate someone to behave differently and save a lot of pain and suffering. After all, its not about looking good to management or DOE,etc. Its about ( heres the cliche) being able to live your life without a debilitating injury, or the guilt of knowing you could have prevented one. Not all accidents are tragic of course,but you get my point.
Am I my brothers keeper?    Yes.
to a degree.  MH

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version