Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Construction question: crossing over from commercial to nuclear?

Author Topic: Construction question: crossing over from commercial to nuclear?  (Read 4559 times)

cucamonga

I am an unemployed 47 year old Construction Manager/Superintendent who has a background in commercial and retail construction. As I look around at different segments of the construction industry I see that Nuclear seems to be one of the few growth industries out there. With that in mind, I am beginning to explore the likelihood of making the jump into your world. Although most members here are not employed on the construction side of the equation, I would still appreciate any advice or input that you all might have.

May I throw out a few questions?
     How reasonable is it to consider making the transition from commercial construction to nuclear?
     What types of certifications would be beneficial for me to attain?
     Is anyone aware of coursework or schooling that would aid me?

I don't have any expectations that I will be able to break in to this field at my most recent level or responsibility or pay scale; I am accepting of the fact that I will likely have to restart my career if I choose to go this route. But as I look at this present economy and what it holds for the next few years, starting anew might not be a bad career choice.

If you think I'm out of my mind- please explain why this a flawed idea.

Thank you to any who reply to my post!

cucamonga

Hi Tim, and thanks for the welcome!
Also, thank you for directing me to the employment portion of the site. That was great advice. I see a number of agencies listed on the sidebar; now I just gotta dig in and talk to some folks. I suspect I am in for an uphill battle, but a bit of perseverance never hurt anyone, right?

I don't know if you all have noticed... but you DO speak an entirely different language. I have never seen so many acronyms in my life  ;).

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Hi Tim, and thanks for the welcome!
Also, thank you for directing me to the employment portion of the site. That was great advice. I see a number of agencies listed on the sidebar; now I just gotta dig in and talk to some folks. I suspect I am in for an uphill battle, but a bit of perseverance never hurt anyone, right?

I don't know if you all have noticed... but you DO speak an entirely different language. I have never seen so many acronyms in my life  ;).

Yes we know. You ain't seen nothin' yet.

Good luck in your search.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

kp88

If it made sense, anyone could do it.  You'll get used to it.

Offline tr

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
The biggest change will probably be the importance of the paperwork, from quality assurance testing requirements, required hold points for witnesses to observe certain actions, to every single change from the construction drawings requiring formal review and approval.  Productivity will in all likelihood be an order of magnitude less than what you are used to.  You might also try to hook up with a company like Bechtel or Shaw for some of the smaller nuclear projects they have going on now (outage modification work, steam generator replacement, etc.).  Typically, each nuclear plant has an outage with at least some construction activities every 18 or so months.  If you can get in, it's a good way to get some nuclear experience.

cucamonga

Thanks to you folks that have responded to my query.
I am beginning to appreciate the fact that you all work in a different world that operates with unique timelines, safety and accountability practices.
Currently I am targeting various employers' HR departments and trying to get some more hiring tips.

Thanks again,

Cucamonga

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?