Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Navy Nuke Counseling honeypot

Author Topic: Navy Nuke Counseling  (Read 25273 times)

prpantra

Navy Nuke Counseling
« on: Jun 26, 2004, 10:00 »
Ok. I've read many of the topics posted in this forum and have tried to cut and paste here and there to answer my questions. Unfortunately, I am found wanting. My navy recruiter is avoiding my direct questions concerning the nuke program. I simply want to join only navy nuke program but he is telling me to keep an open mind to other jobs. I have a HS Regents diploma from NY and a bachelors degree in chemistry. I must admit i did not apply myself accordingly in college and finished with a near 3pt. GPA. Anyway i would like to know the asvab qualifying score for entrance into this program. Also if i'm better off as an officer. I have many doubts going into the navy and i feel that my recruiter just wants me to sign the papers and be gone already. My recruiter wants me to take the asvab this monday, take my physical, choose a job and leave to IL. If i know whats the qualifying score at least i can study a bit for it. I love math and science and i know i would do my best in this field. Any and all advice concerning my situation would be highly appreciated.

Offline slarmox2

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Navy Nuke Counseling
« Reply #1 on: Jun 27, 2004, 06:01 »
Congrats for the eagerness to go Nuke Navy. Just go take the ASVAB. You will do fine on it. In my opinion, with your background you do not need to study. If you score over a 94, you should have no problem getting nuke thrown at you.

20 Years Gone

« Reply #2 on: Jun 27, 2004, 09:09 »
That's right... It's not a test you can study for over the weekend.  Do your best, and be firm with the recruiter that Nuclear power is what you want.  Be aware that you may have to wait awhile to actually go in, however.

Good Luck on the test

krimax

« Reply #3 on: Jun 27, 2004, 11:33 »
I currently teach in the program and we get students with mid to low 80's on the ASVAB.  If you have a degree then you should definetly go Officer.  You will go further faster then you would as Enlisted.  Good Luck!

RCLCPO

« Reply #4 on: Jun 28, 2004, 02:12 »
The ASVAB score is just one parameter.

The real indicators are the combination of specific line scores from the ASVAB.

The sheet with your test results is the 680-ADP.  Below the line scores are calculations, and the two for nuclear power are NUC and EL.  These are the sum of VE + AR + MK + MC or AR + MK + EI + GS, and either needs to be >= 252 to NOT have to take the NAPT exam.  Either calculation, plus the NAPT score, must be >= 290 to be eligible for nuclear power.

VE is verbal, AR is arithmetic reasoning, MK is math knowledge, MC is mechanical comprehension, EI is electronic information, and GS is general science.

Even an ASVAB of 75 can have line scores that are high enough for nuke, if the scores are high enough in the right areas.

With a BS in chemistry, you want to go ahead and speak to the officer recruiters in your area.  Your regular enlisted recruiter will  try, overtly or otherwise, to steer you away from them, but with a BS you're supposed to get an interview with an officer recruiter automatically.  If this doesn't happen, let me know, and I'll fix it.  I am the nuclear field recruiter for the Pacific Northwest, and can answer any question you may have.  Keep in mind, the typical Navy recruiter is not a Nuke, and is therefore hesitant to speak about Nuclear subjects, which is why all parts of the country have NF recruiters at each recruiting district headquarters.  I can also put you in direct contact with your local NF recruiter.

Get all your questions answered before you sign anything!

ETCSNuke

« Reply #5 on: Jun 28, 2004, 07:48 »
I currently work in recruiting as a Nuclear Field Recruiter and the information I am going to pass onto you is based on what I've seen over the past two years. With your background you should score well enough on the ASVAB to not have to take the NAPT (but that is not guaranteed). Unfortunately with your GPA you would not be competitve for the Nuclear Power Officer (NUPOC) program. In order to be competitive you would have to have a GPA of 3.3 or higher. With your degree already in hand, you could apply for Officer Candidate School once you complete your training. In FY'03 the selection rate for Nukes who completed training, performed well in the fleet, and had a Bachelor's in hand was over 90%. Of course, as has already been stated, even if you signed up tomorrow the probability that you would leave before January is pretty low. This has its own benefit in that you would recieve a higher enlistment bonus (payable in increments over the course of your training).
In short, don't sweat the ASVAB. If this is what you want to do...do it.

prpantra

« Reply #6 on: Jun 29, 2004, 07:37 »
I thank everyone who gave me advice and offered help. I took the ASVAB yesterday, I got a decent score but did not qualify for Nuke. I plan to take the other qualifying exam. I will be reading the other posts but it would be to my great advantage if anyone can tell what topics are coming and at what depth are those  topics are covered. Again i thank everyone.

applenuc

« Reply #7 on: Jun 29, 2004, 07:53 »
I am the local NYC nuclear recruiter.  I have an approved study guide for the NAPT that I can provide to you if you can provide me your recruiter information and what station you are from.  If you are not in the NYC area then you should be able to recieve a similar study guide from your recruiting district's nuclear recruiter.
VR
ET1(ss)

Offline ckizzlestick

• Very Lite User
« Reply #8 on: Sep 15, 2011, 12:21 »
Hey all,

I take the NAPT in a week, and I have recently contacted one of the two nuke recruiters in the LA region to inquire about a study guide, like the one mentioned in the post before. He said there is no such thing and mentioned that it is more of a pop quiz. I pride myself in my effort for preparing myself as much as possible, and with several waivers under my belt, along with a determination to serve my country as a nuke, I want to be excellent in every aspect that I have control over. In this case, a concrete understanding on the materials covered on the NAPT. Does this approved NAPT study guide even exist? If so, what must I do to attain one?

I'm not trying to find a cliffnote style book so I can cram for a test. I'm looking for something that can help me focus my studies, in order to further my understanding on all the fundamentals required to be considered an excellent nuke candidate.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

MacGyver

« Reply #10 on: Sep 15, 2011, 07:57 »
Start here:
NAPT Test guides or practice tests?

Hey all,

I take the NAPT in a week, and I have recently contacted one of the two nuke recruiters in the LA region to inquire about a study guide, like the one mentioned in the post before. He said there is no such thing and mentioned that it is more of a pop quiz. I pride myself in my effort for preparing myself as much as possible, and with several waivers under my belt, along with a determination to serve my country as a nuke, I want to be excellent in every aspect that I have control over. In this case, a concrete understanding on the materials covered on the NAPT. Does this approved NAPT study guide even exist? If so, what must I do to attain one?

No and for good reason.  Stop trying.

I'm not trying to find a cliffnote style book so I can cram for a test. I'm looking for something that can help me focus my studies, in order to further my understanding on all the fundamentals required to be considered an excellent nuke candidate.

Yes you are.  Stop blowing sunshine up our backsides.

Offline ckizzlestick

• Very Lite User
« Reply #11 on: Sep 15, 2011, 01:05 »
Lol, love it. Thanks for answering the question. And please don't assume anything about me and my intentions. Its a simple question. Does it exist or not. If anyone knows if a us military approved study guide for the napt is attainable, sharing that info would be much appreciated :)

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #12 on: Sep 15, 2011, 01:23 »
There's no such thing as a military approved study guide for the NAPT because the Navy doesn't want you to study for the test.

They want people who already know the stuff, not people who can cram.

MacGyver

« Reply #13 on: Sep 15, 2011, 01:32 »
Lol, love it. Thanks for answering the question. And please don't assume anything about me and my intentions. Its a simple question. Does it exist or not. If anyone knows if a us military approved study guide for the napt is attainable, sharing that info would be much appreciated :)

Okay I won't assume.  If you don't mind I'll resume my dialogue with known's.

First known
You posted in a thread that doesn't have the first thing to do with NAPT.
Second known
You didn't read the link I provided (or TheHiggs provided either).
Third known
You did not search the threads after being prompted.
Fourth known
You are asking the same question after it was answered.

Now how's that for not assuming?

NOW TO BE CLEAR
NO OFFICIAL NAPT GUIDE EXSISTS.  NO UN-OFFICIAL GUIDE EXSISTS.  THIS IS AN ASSESSMENT OF YOUR APTITUDE.

Because if you persist then you will be headed for the

Offline ckizzlestick

• Very Lite User
« Reply #14 on: Sep 15, 2011, 03:59 »
Thanks guys, I read all those posts already. I was just inquiring because most of those posts were between 2004 to 2008 and maybe they decided to have one since then(and the post right before my initial one mentioned about him being a recruiter in ny and having access to one).

Im not worried about passing the napt, I got a 97 on the asvab, 264 on the BEE, and a 266 on the nuke and I absolutely love math and science. But I have several waivers and want to do whatever it takes to score as high as possible to help outshine said waivers. And trust me, the last thing I want to do is cheat. If there is a us military approved study guide, then its not cheating.

I pretty much knew the answer before posting, but taking 5-15 minutes out of my day to maybe reaching out to a person who might have this illusive material is worth it.

Every step I take in this endeavor is taking I step closer to fulfilling my dreams. I greatly appreciate any further input.

And mcguyver, youre funny guy. You take the time to help people answer their questions but you're a complete a-hole about it. You're like a disgruntled old man who can't help but have a kind heart. I especially thank you for adding flavor in this inquiry

MacGyver

« Reply #15 on: Sep 15, 2011, 04:10 »
Thanks guys, I read all those posts already. I was just inquiring because most of those posts were between 2004 to 2008 and maybe they decided to have one since then(and the post right before my initial one mentioned about him being a recruiter in ny and having access to one).

Im not worried about passing the napt, I got a 97 on the asvab, 264 on the BEE, and a 266 on the nuke and I absolutely love math and science. But I have several waivers and want to do whatever it takes to score as high as possible to help outshine said waivers. And trust me, the last thing I want to do is cheat. If there is a us military approved study guide, then its not cheating.

I pretty much knew the answer before posting, but taking 5-15 minutes out of my day to maybe reaching out to a person who might have this illusive material is worth it.

Every step I take in this endeavor is taking I step closer to fulfilling my dreams. I greatly appreciate any further input.

And mcguyver, youre funny guy. You take the time to help people answer their questions but you're a complete a-hole about it. You're like a disgruntled old man who can't help but have a kind heart. I especially thank you for adding flavor in this inquiry

Nahhhh, I am not disgruntled.   :P   My reasons are just that.  My reasons.  The fleet needs mentally mature adults.  It's a lot to ask when you have (e.g. not you directy but the youngsters today) coddled in and by the government school system.  My goal is to bridge the gap so it's not such a culture shock when you actually get to the fleet.  In the fleet we don't have time for fluff.  Not even your pillow (with one exception .. once qualified you may fluff your pillow ...  ;)  ).

drayer54

« Reply #16 on: Sep 15, 2011, 08:25 »
Nahhhh, I am not disgruntled.   :P   My reasons are just that.  My reasons.  The fleet needs mentally mature adults.  It's a lot to ask when you have (e.g. not you directy but the youngsters today) coddled in and by the government school system.  My goal is to bridge the gap so it's not such a culture shock when you actually get to the fleet.  In the fleet we don't have time for fluff.  Not even your pillow (with one exception .. once qualified you may fluff your pillow ...  ;)  ).

WHAT?! No fluff? Your memories are getting further from reality my friend.

You can relax in the fleet after hitting golf balls on the flight deck.

Did I mention the food?!

I thought the hardest part of the fleet was learning how to regulate your fluids so you could get that 12 hour plus nap.

No fluff....... what a crock.

MacGyver

« Reply #17 on: Sep 15, 2011, 09:06 »
Drayer IMHO think we served in two completely diffffffferent fleet's ... ;)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #18 on: Sep 16, 2011, 01:04 »
Drayer IMHO think we served in two completely diffffffferent fleet's ... ;)

Cream Puff carrier assignment, not Fast Attack tuff.  8)

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #19 on: Sep 17, 2011, 03:11 »
. I especially thank you for adding flavor in this inquiry

Flavor added! ;)

Offline ckizzlestick

• Very Lite User
« Reply #20 on: Sep 21, 2011, 12:48 »
I take the napt tomorrow. Aiming for that 80/80! Wish me luck!

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #21 on: Sep 27, 2011, 07:20 »
They want people who already know the stuff, not people who can cram.

Oh the irony....

I take the napt tomorrow. Aiming for that 80/80! Wish me luck!

lol, good luck! :)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?