Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu college after nuke enlistment honeypot

Author Topic: college after nuke enlistment  (Read 19725 times)

flare

college after nuke enlistment
« on: Mar 28, 2010, 09:20 »
Like so many others, I'm in the DEP and I go to my boot camp adventures around July. My questions is after I finish my 6 year enlistment what kind of colleges would accept me? I volunteered for sub duty  and plan on going in for ET. When it comes to getting accepted are we talking community colleges, state universities, Ivy league or Places like MIT? any information would be helpful thank you.

flare

Re: college after nuke enlistment
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2010, 09:31 »
Like so many others, I'm in the DEP and I go to my boot camp adventures around July. My questions is after I finish my 6 year enlistment what kind of colleges would accept me? I volunteered for sub duty  and plan on going in for ET. When it comes to getting accepted are we talking community colleges, state universities, Ivy league or Places like MIT? any information would be helpful thank you.

also any advice on weather or not i should be looking at becoming a diver too? If im going to go though academic hell might as well go through physical hell too i figure.

flare

« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2010, 10:55 »
Thanks for the information ive taken a bunch of AP classes including AP calc AB, AP Physics B, AP Physics C (both), AP environmental science, AP biology, AP chemistry, AP government. but my grades are pretty low almost a 3.0. I do plan on taking the sat every chance I get untill I get a good score that satisfies me (over 2300). every one ive talked to has told me to get a B.A. in engineering or physics while im in my enlistment and when its over goto some prestigious school for a masters or higher in nuclear engineering on my Gi bill or NROTC what do you guys think is that possible? whats your opinion on trying to become a navy diver too b/c i already signed up for subs.

co60slr

« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2010, 01:13 »
whats your opinion on trying to become a navy diver too b/c i already signed up for subs.
As a nuke, anything you volunteer for that is nonnuclear will be met with opposition.   Your best best is to get ready for Dive school now by passing the Diver PRT and then maintain/improve your scores as you continue your career.   Also, once you get there, you'll have to pass a 1000 yd "bay swim" on your back using only fins, no hands.   You should practice that well in advance as well.   If nothing else, these exercises are good regardless if you go to Dive School or not so it won't be a waste of time.

One day, someone will ask for a volunteer that is ready to go then...(not get ready to go then) and you'll be able to raise your hand.   If your division can support your TAD for 6 weeks, then you're off getting your Dive Pin.

Your low high school GPA is going to follow you for awhile.   You may want to pickup some A's in college courses as you have time.

I don't know what a BA in Engineering is called.   Hopefully you meant B.S (Bachelor of Science) if a technical career is in your foreseeable future.

Finally, keep in mind as you collect these degrees, certs, etc that they only get you into an interview.   What you DO with them...and during your enlistment is what gets you hired later on.  When engineering problems arise on your boat, jump in and help, learn, excel.   Be the person that is not only technically competent, but is energetic, willing to help, a team player, and you'll go far forever.  Otherwise, no one will care that you have a 2300 SAT score.

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #4 on: Mar 28, 2010, 06:02 »
Allow me to make a point that is along the lines of what you are wanting, but may or may not be in your head yet.  If college after the Navy is what you truly want to do, then you have to plan for that every day that you are in the Navy.  For example, realize that for 6 years you are going to be living the life of a "post college" person.  You will have a job, most likely have a car and an apartment.  This means that you are going to have bills to pay.  These bills required you to keep working in order to pay them.  This means that you will either have to pay them all off before you get out, or you will have to find a job when you get out that will allow you to take the courses too.  More than likely, you might consider an engineering degree when you are done with the Nuclear Navy.  I can tell you first hand that there are not a lot of colleges or universities that offer engineering level courses at night.  Your basics, yes, but most of the your math, physics, and engineering fundamentals, no. 

So to sum all of this up, if you truly want to go to college when you get out, make sure that you have all your debt paid in full, you don't have a family to support, and make sure that you have the necessaties such as a decent car, some furniture(maybe), and some money in reserve for "just in case".  Otherwise, while it can still be done, it is just that much more difficult and will take much longer than the other route. 
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Offline crusemm

• Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: Mar 28, 2010, 08:04 »
I would like to inject some reality, and add yet another option.  This is your approx. timeline for the next 2 years :
8 weeks of boot camp
6-16 weeks of NF "A" school (not sure on lengths any more, sorry)
6 months NNPS
6 months NPTU
Congratulations, now your a NUKE!, now for the next year:
get to your first ship, Welcome aboard, your Dinq, get hot NUB
now you have to qualify all of your in rate and dolphin quals, assuming you are an ET on a 688
RT, AEA, PVO, Phonetalker, BEQ, RO, SRO, SEO
Now your career is approx half over, and this is where I would like to put in a plug for another option.  the Navy has a program called NCPACE, which you can use to take college courses for free (plus the cost of books, about $200 per class) while serving shipboard.  If you are smart, manage your time well, and have the support of your command, you can conceivably complete a degree over the next 3 years.  There are several key factors to making this work: 1) you have to not be seen as a dirtbag by your crew.  i.e. qualify early, know your stuff, don't get in trouble.  2)realise that the needs of the division/dept/ship come before everything else.  3)have to be willing to put in the time/effort on your own time after working hours or between watches i.e. when all your buddies are out partying or burning a flick, you gotta be hitting the books.  You can also use what is called TA, Tuition Assistance, similar to NCPACE.  I have seen a few people actually do this, but it is pretty rare.  However between NCPACE, TA, and CLEP/DANTES Exams to test out of stuff, it can be done.
Good luck, and welcome to the Navy, it's gonna be a helluva ride
-Matt
Authentic truth is never simple and that any version of truth handed down from on high---whether by presidents, prime ministers, or archbishops---is inherently suspect.-Andrew Bacevich

flare

« Reply #6 on: Mar 30, 2010, 10:35 »
First off thank you very much crusemm and Preciousblue1965 for some good advice. Ive read my fourms when it comes to the challenges of clawing out a degree as a navy nuke, especially when I'm drowning in trying to get my dolphins. has anyone heard of this college program? https://www.excelsior.edu/Excelsior_College/School_of_Business_and_Technology/Technology_Programs/AS_IN_NUCLEAR_TECHNOLOGY
also ive been reading around the other posts, what is a the difference between EOOW, EWO, and what does AUO stand for? And what are the best ways to qualify for EOOW and EWO? Qualifications are the most important thing for a nuke from what I've gathered what other optional ones should i strive for to better my military and civilian career? Also any one been to the installation at Charleston what should i expect there in terms of contact with the out side towns, recreation available stuff like that? Also if you know the locals opinions of the nuke students? any information would be great. Oh and besides a TSP do you guys have any good investment advice for this stage in my life? Besides blowing my pay checks on a fancy new car?

also what does NRO and SLO ( i think those are them) mean?
« Last Edit: Mar 30, 2010, 10:45 by flare »

Offline sovbob

• Fact-Checker
  • Moderate User
  • Vanguard of the Vox Populi
« Reply #7 on: Mar 30, 2010, 12:03 »
Alright Flare, I'll cut you a break.  Just ask the guys around here, I'm usually too soft on the newbies.

Anyway, you definitely need to get your acronyms straight, because some of them are very similar (especially without much context).

EOOW (Engineering Officer of the Watch):  A watchstation that is almost exclusively qualified by nuke officers.  The EOOW oversees operations in the engine room from the maneuvering control room.  A relatively junior watchstation (for officers).

EWS (Engineering Watch Supervisor): The counterpart to the EOOW is the EWS.  A senior enlisted member qualifies EWS after completing their senior-in-rate watchstation.  The EWS oversees operations in the engine room outside the maneuvering control room.

SRO (Shutdown Reactor Operator): A watchstation qualified by EMs and ETs for keeping an eye on the reactor while it's shut down.  Senior-in-rate.

SRO (Senior Reactor Operator): A supervisory position in the commercial nuclear industry.

NLO (Non-Licensed Operator): An entry-level position in the commercial nuclear industry.

I'm not sure what an AUO is.  Perhaps you meant AO (Auxiliary Operator) which is similar to an NLO.

Ok, that's all the help you're getting.  Now go out there and find some answers!
« Last Edit: Mar 30, 2010, 12:03 by sovbob »
"Everyone's entitled to be stupid now and then, but you're abusing the privilege."

co60slr

« Reply #8 on: Mar 30, 2010, 12:45 »
https://www.excelsior.edu/Excelsior_College/School_of_Business_and_Technology/Technology_Programs/AS_IN_NUCLEAR_TECHNOLOGY

...what does AUO stand for?
Excelsior provides an ABET accredited BSNET degree, TESC provides a non-ABET BSAST (NET) degree.   They'll both get you into an ABET MS engineering grad program at SMU.  Neither will allow you to design reactors or get a PE License.

AUO: Assistant Unit Operator (same as NLO, AO).   He/She works for the UO, SRO, US, etc.   Terminology is utility dependent.

Offline Wanna Know Mom

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #9 on: Mar 31, 2010, 11:11 »
flare, you might find this helpful....some acronyms and a lot of definitions of navy terms.

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,12646.0.html

Kathy VPNNM

Offline superbee

• Very Lite User
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 12:34 »
It's anecdotal evidence, but I can tell you that I have two friends who were accepted to strong academic programs.  One attended MIT while the other completed a MS at George Washington.

I personally did my six and out, spent the next two years completing some pre-requisite courses and am now entering into a doctorate program.  The nuke program is what you make of it.  The best advice I can give to someone who's about to enter into that world is this:  lie low.  Don't be the guy who's a superstar or a dirtbag.  Being in the middle will give you the most flexibility to pursue college credit while you're enlisted.

Hope that helps.

Offline xjackstarrx

• Very Lite User
« Reply #11 on: Mar 28, 2011, 06:51 »
lie low is really not the best advice in my opinion

although nuke work will never get easy and the workload will never lessen personally it seems to always work out best if you can strive to master and bring your peers up to your level overall everyone gets more time

your personal best and understanding that its not about beating anyone, its about pulling pulling your brothers up to your level

that and priorities, which is more importaint to you being able to spout off movie quotes or achieve depth and knowlege

MacGyver

« Reply #12 on: Mar 28, 2011, 07:41 »
It's anecdotal evidence, but I can tell you that I have two friends who were accepted to strong academic programs.  One attended MIT while the other completed a MS at George Washington.

I personally did my six and out, spent the next two years completing some pre-requisite courses and am now entering into a doctorate program.  The nuke program is what you make of it.  The best advice I can give to someone who's about to enter into that world is this:  lie low.  Don't be the guy who's a superstar or a dirtbag.  Being in the middle will give you the most flexibility to pursue college credit while you're enlisted.

Hope that helps.

Offline shipoffools

• Light User
« Reply #13 on: Mar 28, 2011, 09:33 »
Excelsior provides an ABET accredited BSNET degree, TESC provides a non-ABET BSAST (NET) degree.   They'll both get you into an ABET MS engineering grad program at SMU.  Neither will allow you to design reactors or get a PE License.

Completing an ABET-accredited Eng. Technology program offers the opportunity in many states to get a P.E. license.  You're typically required to spend a few more years working under a licensed P.E. before being eligible to sit for the licensing exam, compared to an Engineering grad.  In my state its 4 years for an Engineering Grad, 8 for Engineering Technology.     

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #14 on: Mar 28, 2011, 09:38 »
lie low is really not the best advice in my opinion

although nuke work will never get easy and the workload will never lessen personally it seems to always work out best if you can strive to master and bring your peers up to your level overall everyone gets more time

your personal best and understanding that its not about beating anyone, its about pulling pulling your brothers up to your level

that and priorities, which is more importaint to you being able to spout off movie quotes or achieve depth and knowlege

"depth and knowlege" eh?

hmm. That aside; albeit your advice is prudent, necro threads are rarely a good idea...

edit : your advice is flawed, you are implying everyone desires the same amount of success and are all willing to put the same effort you do. Karl Marx rings a bell here...
« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2011, 09:39 by Charlie Murphy »

Offline Loffy Muffin

• Moderate User
  • Little hand says it is time to rock and roll
« Reply #15 on: Mar 29, 2011, 07:42 »
Schools, other then the ones that specifically market to the military, will place the most emphasis on your grades, SAT scores, AP tests. 

Nuke ET applying to say at Yale or Berkeley will only act as a tie breaker waaay down the selection criteria:  At Yale it get you in, at Berkeley it will get you rejected.
See right through the red, white and blue disguise
With lecture I puncture the structure of lies
Installed in our minds and attempting
To hold us back
We've got to take it back, Take the power back

MacGyver

« Reply #16 on: Mar 30, 2011, 02:40 »
Schools, other then the ones that specifically market to the military, will place the most emphasis on your grades, SAT scores, AP tests

Nuke ET applying to say at Yale or Berkeley will only act as a tie breaker waaay down the selection criteria:  At Yale it get you in, at Berkeley it will get you rejected.

And "you" know this how (re: bold type)?  Also, what rank with the College Admittance Board do you hold?  Prior Military (IIRC) do not have to take entrance exams for admittance.

drayer54

« Reply #17 on: Mar 30, 2011, 06:31 »

And "you" know this how (re: bold type)?  Also, what rank with the College Admittance Board do you hold?  Prior Military (IIRC) do not have to take entrance exams for admittance.
I was wondering the same thing. Maybe the guys at the paper mill told him all about it....
I applied to several colleges and never had to do this. Granted, Yale and Berkeley were not on my list....
They were not all military oriented colleges either.

has anyone heard of this college program? https://www.excelsior.edu/Excelsior_College/School_of_Business_and_Technology/Technology_Programs/AS_IN_NUCLEAR_TECHNOLOGY
also ive been reading around the other posts,  Also any one been to the installation at Charleston what should i expect there in terms of contact with the out side towns, recreation available stuff like that? Also if you know the locals opinions of the nuke students? any information would be great. Oh and besides a TSP do you guys have any good investment advice for this stage in my life? Besides blowing my pay checks on a fancy new car?

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions in these areas. I love talking investments!
« Last Edit: Mar 30, 2011, 07:43 by drayer54 »

Offline Loffy Muffin

• Moderate User
  • Little hand says it is time to rock and roll
« Reply #18 on: Mar 30, 2011, 11:22 »
The "rejected at UCB" was obviously a joke based on the very liberal (and well known) bent of Berkeley.  For the record, UCB will review favorably, as all schools, on your military background.  But you have to have the grades, tests scores to get considered. Military will get you in if you are on the bubble. 
Jeeez.. an avalanche of rocks.

See right through the red, white and blue disguise
With lecture I puncture the structure of lies
Installed in our minds and attempting
To hold us back
We've got to take it back, Take the power back

MacGyver

« Reply #19 on: Mar 31, 2011, 01:03 »
The "rejected at UCB" was obviously a joke based on the very liberal (and well known) bent of Berkeley.  For the record, UCB will review favorably, as all schools, on your military background.  But you have to have the grades, tests scores to get considered. Military will get you in if you are on the bubble.  
Jeeez.. an avalanche of rocks.

From what I recall you are "Wrong" (once again).  This doesn't apply to prior veteran's getting into ANY university.  The university must accept / admit ANY veteran WITHOUT testing (i.e. ACT/SAT/etc) for under-grad.  As for post-grad (e.g. a completely different animal) work, yes they can ask and demand you test for those vacancies.

« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2011, 01:02 by MacGyver »

Offline playswithairplanes

• Moderate User
« Reply #20 on: Apr 01, 2011, 01:25 »
My personal experience with grad school was that you still have to take the appropriate grad school entrance test. Regardless of military experience or no. I only applied to a few schools, both public and private. All required entrance exams.
Airplanes and submarines... they are similar it's just the density of the fluid that separates them

Offline withrespecttotime

• Very Lite User
« Reply #21 on: Apr 02, 2011, 05:39 »
B.A. in Engineering ????  I think you mean B.S.!!!!

After doing 6 years as a nuke you can get into MIT as an undergrad(PROVIDED you prove you are a genius[which you may be] and not just a trained monkey that turned values and watched blinking switchboards).

I know student loans suck, but that being said why would you do 6 years as a Nuke when you may be smart enough to get a Master's Degree in 5-6 years?  

Good luck! Wish me luck too(cause I need it)!
« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2011, 06:27 by withrespecttotime »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?