Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Asked a million times, but I'm different (haha)

Author Topic: Asked a million times, but I'm different (haha)  (Read 4026 times)

U_235

Asked a million times, but I'm different (haha)
« on: Mar 30, 2010, 01:14 »
Hello Folks,

I know it gets asked 1000 times-a-day, “How do I get in?”  But I’m hoping I might be just a little bit unique.

After 22 years as a very successful electrical engineer, I am making a career change and Nuclear Power is where I WILL BE. 
Here’s why…
Not only am I a great engineer, but I am also motor head, can teardown and rebuild an engine in my sleep, so excellent mechanical skills.  I am also a carpenter, plumber and electrician, built my own house.  I am an inventor, built all kinds of mechanical, pneumatic and hydraulic devices to do cool things around my house. 
Although as an engineer I design very small things (I am a semiconductor design engineer) I love big things and systems.  My favorite way to spend my lunch hour was in the basement of the building looking at the heat exchangers, pumps and such, or in the penthouse looking at the elevator system.  I’d bet if someone showed me a system in a nuke plant, after looking at it and it’s associated components, I could tell them what it is, what it does, how it does it, it’s most likely failure mechanisms and potential PM required.  Oh ya, I am also a world-class diagnostician, not just cars and appliances, but, I have on many occasions had to diagnose and repair systems in a semiconductor facility.  Systems of all types, high-pressure gas handling, vacuum, liquid cooling, etc. etc. etc.

Not only do I believe I can be a real asset, but ever since I was a child I have been a proponent of nuclear energy.  I grew up in the 70’s, Jane Fonda and the China Syndrome, which I always knew was total BS.  Even back then I would lecture people that we had a choice, burn fossil fuels or nuclear, take your pick.  Fast-forward to today and even the environmentalists have to agree, nuclear is the best alternative.  It is my understanding that at this time there are many new plants under construction, thankfully, and when completed people will be needed to work in them.  Sorry about the soap box, but I am passionate about nuclear power.     

I’m realistic, I have no illusions of being an operator, I know the key is to just get in.  I’ll sweep floors or whatever. 

If I may, and you would be so kind please…
I do have a friend at FitzPatrick, but he says all hiring is through corporate HR now and knowing someone is worthless, is that true?
I’d like to create a resume’ highlighting the specific skills that might be sought, but how do I know what those are?
Anything else you’d offer I would be very grateful please?

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
Re: Asked a million times, but I'm different (haha)
« Reply #1 on: Mar 30, 2010, 02:23 »
Your enthusiasm is impressive. But you have to back it up.

Most (if not all) utilities hire via an HR webpage (most list here on Nukworker also). The friend inside may be able to give limited help, but you still have to go through the process.

Operations may not be out of your reach - but you would need to start with non-licensed operator, and work up.

Engineering would be a good path. Many of the engineers at nukes aren't real good in the field, many are. A good field engineer (able to direct craft, maintain project deadlines, etc) is worth his weight in gold to the people that work in a plant.

Look around the site here - look at the job postings. Lookup the different plants, and utilities, and see what postings (by reading the job description) you may qualify for. Apply for them.

Contract engineering might be worth looking into - there are current postings on Nukeworker. Here is an example: http://www.nukeworker.com/job/view.php?job_id=11558

Might consider switching to decaf too.... ;)

Good luck. After you've looked into it more, come back with specific questions, and somebody may help you out.  :)
« Last Edit: Mar 30, 2010, 02:27 by HouseDad »
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

L._LaGarde

Re: Asked a million times, but I'm different (haha)
« Reply #2 on: Mar 31, 2010, 06:21 »
Be willing to re-locate and/or travel.

Many of the major engineering firms (Bechtel, ENERCON, Shaw, Sargeant and Lundy) that provide support for new and operating plants have been hiring recently.  Check their websites.  Most have multiple office locations, plus employees at power plant sites.  There are lots of plant upgrades and maintenance activities going on.  Good engineering skills, writing skills, and attention to detail are required.  Previous nuke experience is nice, but not typically required.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?