Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu SRO training question

Author Topic: SRO training question  (Read 11241 times)

rachel81mom

SRO training question
« on: Apr 06, 2010, 07:47 »
My husband will probably be getting out of the Navy in Sept 2011. We are looking at moving to the Alabama area. He would be getting out with 7 years in, as an 03 with a BS degree in Chemical engineering from Drexel U. He has his dolphins so is engineer qualified. We are looking at working for TVA, and he could claim the veterans benefit. My questions are, how would he go about it. I am guessing to submit his resume with his veterans prefence document. Is it to early to do that, what is the likelyhood of him being accepted into the direct SRO position. Would he have to interview onsight? We are stationed in Hawaii. What would the transition be like, and what would the pay be while he is in training. We have four little children, so want to make sure it is a smooth transition out. Do you have any suggestions for us/him?

TIA
Rachel

Duchess

Re: SRO training question
« Reply #1 on: Apr 06, 2010, 09:26 »
I'm in a similar situation but I get out this summer.  I started applying to Direct SRO positions about 6 months before my separation date and just started getting interviews/offers recently.  I didn't use a head hunter. I just used the company websites and some networking.  One friend received a job offer 10 months before separation but that was a rare case.  Usually, the interviews start about 3 months before separation.  So, don't get too worried if he doesn't have a job until right before he gets out.  

He should make sure that all of his applications and resumes clearly point out that he will not be available for employment until Sept 2011 (or when his terminal leave starts).  That will prevent confusion/frustration.

Take some time to look at Nuclear Regulatory Commission jobs as well.  They will be hiring quite a bit over the next year or two and pay well.  The NRC HQ work schedule is very good.  You will just have to deal with living in the greater DC area.  He can apply at www.usajobs.gov

I don't think your husband will be able to use veterans preference since he is still on active duty.  Technically I don't think he is a veteran until after he has separated.  I think one of the required documents to use the preference is a DD214 which he will not get until he actually separates.  I might be wrong.  I don't think he will need the preference to land an interview or a job offer.

He should read "Knock 'Em Dead 2010".  It has a lot of good advice regarding resumes/interview prep/negotiations.  It helped me prepare and I'm sure my interview performance benefited from the advice in that book.

The initial take home pay will be lower (~$750-$1500/month lower) compared to his current salary.  The gap will be closed over time but be prepared for an initial dip in income.  I recommend saving as much cash as possible to pad the transition.

Once he submits his resignation letter he probably won't be able to rescind it later.  The officer community as a whole is over manned and they are trying to thin the herd.  So, make sure he understands the gravity of submitting the resignation.  Once it is submitted to NAVPERS he is a greased pig on a water slide out of the Navy and it will be very hard if not impossible to stop.  That being said...he will need to keep track of his resignation to make sure it is processed in a timely manner (just call the office his resignation is addressed to and they will direct him to the right person.)  I've seen it take over 14 months for someone to get a resignation processed and receive separation orders...which is a pain in the butt if you have a job waiting for you.

Good luck.  There are a lot of opportunities out there (inside and outside the nuclear industry).
« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2010, 09:35 by Duchess »

Duchess

« Reply #2 on: Apr 06, 2010, 09:37 »
Oh,...and use the search function.  There is a lot a good info on this site.

ranger2

« Reply #3 on: Apr 07, 2010, 02:09 »
The initial take home pay will be lower (~$750-$1500/month lower) compared to his current salary.  The gap will be closed over time but be prepared for an initial dip in income.  I recommend saving as much cash as possible to pad the transition.

Depends upon the employer. I made the O3 to SRO pipeline transition and saw a pay increase (plus hiring bonus). That was in the days prior to overtime and shift premium. Once out on shift, pay is quite a bit more.
« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2010, 02:14 by ranger2 »

co60slr

« Reply #4 on: Apr 07, 2010, 03:24 »
Depends upon the employer. I made the O3 to SRO pipeline transition and saw a pay increase (plus hiring bonus). That was in the days prior to overtime and shift premium. Once out on shift, pay is quite a bit more.
It varies widely by utility, geographical location, and resume/experience.   Some companies look for senior military and pay accordingly, some don't hire senior military into SRO ILT programs at all.

Then there are other variables:  state income tax, cost of living, etc which are NOT trivial variables!

co60

Offline knockld

• Very Lite User
« Reply #5 on: Oct 11, 2010, 02:51 »
It varies widely by utility, geographical location, and resume/experience.   Some companies look for senior military and pay accordingly, some don't hire senior military into SRO ILT programs at all.

Then there are other variables:  state income tax, cost of living, etc which are NOT trivial variables!

co60

Co60, (Great screen name) starting my research on the site and wanted to ask a quick question on your above comment.  I will be retiring rather soon, O-5 (Navy CDR), Previous ENG, New Construction XO, BS Physics, Masters Engineering Mgt, yadda, yadda.  Could you provide some clarity to which companies & where prefer to hire us olders guys.  Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Larry

Fermi2

« Reply #6 on: Oct 11, 2010, 04:41 »
Co60, (Great screen name) starting my research on the site and wanted to ask a quick question on your above comment.  I will be retiring rather soon, O-5 (Navy CDR), Previous ENG, New Construction XO, BS Physics, Masters Engineering Mgt, yadda, yadda.  Could you provide some clarity to which companies & where prefer to hire us olders guys.  Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Larry

I'm not sure he'd be in a position to know that, so far as I know he's not commercial.

co60slr

« Reply #7 on: Oct 11, 2010, 06:05 »
I'm not sure he'd be in a position to know that, so far as I know he's not commercial.
Well, I'm definitely not in the Navy.  Hmm...technically, I guess I am "inactive reserve".   

Otherwise, you've never asked me.  You've been too busy yelling at me.  ;-)

Fe59

Fermi2

« Reply #8 on: Oct 11, 2010, 06:44 »
Well, I'm definitely not in the Navy.  Hmm...technically, I guess I am "inactive reserve".   

Otherwise, you've never asked me.  You've been too busy yelling at me.  ;-)

Fe59

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Touche! I actually thought I asked in private BUT most likely I didn't!

co60slr

« Reply #9 on: Oct 11, 2010, 07:08 »
Like clockwork, it's worth the price of admission for these little nuclear forum kodak moments,... 8)
Pop the popcorn....

Fermi2

« Reply #10 on: Oct 11, 2010, 07:37 »
Use a WhirleyPop the best popcorn maker on the planet. Best 24.99 I ever spent.

co60slr

« Reply #11 on: Oct 11, 2010, 07:50 »
Use a WhirleyPop the best popcorn maker on the planet. Best 24.99 I ever spent.
That's crap.  For $0.20 less, you can live healthier with an air popper:

http://www.amazon.com/Presto-04820-Poplite-Corn-Popper/dp/B000AEE3TK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1286840783&sr=8-4

(I love being a Nuke.   We can even argue about what kind of popcorn maker to use).

[agree]

Fermi2

« Reply #12 on: Oct 11, 2010, 09:25 »
I know, or whether a BLT should actually be a BLTMT because it also has Mayo and Toast (I argue the Mayo and Toast are implied ingredients)

I have an Air Popper. I never liked the taste of the popcorn coming out of it, but in my lazier moments (ie no one is around to make the popcorn so I have to do it myself) I use the airpopper.

Offline Gamecock

• Gold Member
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #13 on: Oct 12, 2010, 10:04 »

Your pay check and his paycheck come from the same place.

Perhaps if you did a forum search before you posted, you would have known that.
« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2010, 10:48 by Gamecock »
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Fermi2

« Reply #14 on: Oct 12, 2010, 04:33 »
Your pay check and his paycheck come from the same place.

Perhaps if you did a forum search before you posted, you would have known that.

Why would I bother to do that? I'm not seeking information T Baller.

ISOCS

« Reply #15 on: Oct 12, 2010, 05:30 »
Are those 2 starting up again?? As for the original post, apply to TVA and ask for Watts Barr.
ISOCS

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?