Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Just a general question  

Author Topic: Just a general question  (Read 11680 times)

degraaf.8

Just a general question
« on: Apr 21, 2010, 03:04 »
Since I enlisted Nuke (obviously or I would not be here posting this)a few weeks ago, I have been doing some research on things that I think might come in handy. i.e. things to study/ know before going in, fitness standards and other such things. One topic that I ran across (and honestly frightened me) was, being a nuke, one of the most depressing and suicidal rates in the USN. Now I don't know how true this might be or even if there is any truth behind it! So I guess I'm asking you guys your feelings on how your time in the Navy was and would you do it again given the ability to go back in time. I just want to be positive that I should be excited bout my time in (because I am)
thanks guys
Alex

JustinHEMI05

Re: Just a general question
« Reply #1 on: Apr 21, 2010, 07:55 »
I am probably wrong, but I attribute it to the wussification of America and the "everyone is a winner" in today's schools.

That said, yes, I would do it all over again. As much as I hated most of my time in the Navy, it has opened countless doors and directly led to the awesomely well paying career I have now.
« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2010, 07:39 by JustinHEMI »

degraaf.8

« Reply #2 on: Apr 21, 2010, 09:46 »
thanks Justin. Well I'm glad that someone else out there has the same train of thought in that society is teaching are kids that they are something better than what they really are. In some cases it might be true but that does not mean the "everybody is a winner". lol, anyways thanks for the feedback. I must say that one day i hope to be as successful as some of the other guys (and you) on here in this forum

Offline Golly Orby

• Light User
« Reply #3 on: Apr 21, 2010, 10:01 »
That would explain all of the random disappearances and the clouds of gigantic vultures that hang out on top of the BEQs.

They look well fed.

flblasted

« Reply #4 on: Apr 24, 2010, 07:20 »
If I could go back I would do it again too.  I'm not going to say it was the best time of my life but it set me up in a well paying career when I got out and the 6 years didn't seem that long.

vash845

« Reply #5 on: Apr 24, 2010, 06:58 »
I'm currently going through the pipeline and it has points where you will think that you're not going to make it through, i should have chose a different job, blah blah blah. You're going to struggle and it's going to be worth it in the end. I'm almost done with prototype (part 3/3 of the pipeline) and it feels great knowing that training is almost done.
« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2010, 07:13 by vash845 »

Offline Neutron_Herder

• SRO / STA
  • Moderate User
« Reply #6 on: Apr 25, 2010, 06:23 »
I'm currently going through the pipeline and it has points where you will think that you're not going to make it through, i should have chose a different job, blah blah blah. You're going to struggle and it's going to be worth it in the end. I'm almost done with prototype (part 3/3 of the pipeline) and it feels great knowing that training is almost done.

The training is never "done" when you're in nuclear power...  You'll leave prototype and head to a ship (or sub) where you'll qualify all over again, and along the way learn all of the other stuff (damage control, work management, personnel management, etc.) that you need to be a successful Sailor.

There's also a continuing training program to make sure that you keep your knowledge level up where it should be, which includes periodic exams.  Plus the visits from outside organizations to ensure that the entire department is doing things correctly.

It's all necessary, and I for one wouldn't have it any other way.  Just know that you're never done training...
"If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking" - Gen. George S. Patton

Donte9235

« Reply #7 on: Apr 25, 2010, 01:41 »
Its one hell of a rabbit hole... Not at all what I expected, but not bad. Good luck

Gavrilova

« Reply #8 on: Apr 26, 2010, 09:52 »
I won't lie, right now I'm in stage 2/3 of the pipeline and I hate it. But I think that's how it's supposed to be. If it was easy everyone would do it. If you signed the contract to be a NUC you are smart enough to make it through. It will take determination and self motivation to push yourself through. We lost a guy in our class cause he couldn't handle the stress, and he went to the fleet as a conventional ET. Another guy decided it wasn't for him and left too. Of course he had to do more than that to get out of the program, but I won't get into that. Once in the program it's not that easy to get out because your an investment that the Navy has made.

It can be a complete 180 degree change of lifestyle. It was for me at least. Be prepared to not have very much time for yourself, and have to deal with a lot of BS, but i think the whole Navy has a lot of BS to deal with. If you have any questions I'm still at NNPTC in SC till about OCT, so I know the latest and greatest on what the base is like, feel free to ask.

JDLong

« Reply #9 on: Apr 30, 2010, 02:50 »
It's challenging to be a nuke. The "3 stages" are easy compared to the challenges ahead of you if you make it that far. Take pride in yourself and your job and that will help you have a better attitude. To many of the newer nukes these days treat their job as a burden and not an opportunity.

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #10 on: Apr 30, 2010, 04:31 »
I've been out for a year and looking back I can safely say that the nuclear Navy was one of the biggest mistakes in my life.
Would I go back and do it again.... hell no. I may have still joined the Navy but not the nuclear community. The stress, working conditions, scrutiny, and other factors are not worth the paycheck and rapid advancement.

If you have a genuine interest in nuclear physics and the associated technology and desire to work in the nuclear field after the navy it may be worth it. But if like me, your only interest is the money look into something else.

degraaf.8

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 09:31 »
It can be a complete 180 degree change of lifestyle. It was for me at least. Be prepared to not have very much time for yourself, and have to deal with a lot of BS, but i think the whole Navy has a lot of BS to deal with. If you have any questions I'm still at NNPTC in SC till about OCT, so I know the latest and greatest on what the base is like, feel free to ask.-----

I was just wondering about what the classes are like at A school and then at power school. Are they really all that hard as they are cracked up to be... I've taken up to a Calc 2 course a Physics course and all 3 Gen Chem courses. I don't think that the classes are really going to be that hard for me. But if you have any input please post.

Offline War Eagle

• Moderate User
  • PWR SRO
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2010, 10:44 »
I was just wondering about what the classes are like at A school and then at power school. Are they really all that hard as they are cracked up to be... I've taken up to a Calc 2 course a Physics course and all 3 Gen Chem courses. I don't think that the classes are really going to be that hard for me. But if you have any input please post.

I went through nuke school twice, once in '88 and again in '95.  The classes aren't all that hard if you had all the time in the world to absorb the material.  I think the biggest challenge you will find is the pace of instruction.  If you haven't heard it before, its like "drinking from a firehose".  It will suck at times, but keep chugging along and remind yourself that, good or bad, everything will eventually end. There is light at the end of the tunnel, it just seems real damned faint when you first start.

degraaf.8

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2010, 12:40 »
I'm used to fast paced courses, I was on quarter systems in college. But if it is like "drinking water from a fire hose" then I may not be completely ready for that. Would any of you suggest going to a Community College to keep the math and science skills afloat, or is there nothing that I can do to prepare myself for what lies ahead?

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2010, 11:51 »
I'm used to fast paced courses, I was on quarter systems in college. But if it is like "drinking water from a fire hose" then I may not be completely ready for that. Would any of you suggest going to a Community College to keep the math and science skills afloat, or is there nothing that I can do to prepare myself for what lies ahead?

There really isn't much you can do in prep, in fact having taken other chem classes may hurt you. Power school requires that problems be solved using the "navy" way if you use equations or methods that are not taught at NNPTC you will not get much credit for the question, "answer by accident" is what the note on the test will say. This happened to a few friends of mine who started college prior to enlisting.

As for difficulty the material isn't that hard it's just fast. You probably have between 4-7hrs of new materal every day and almost no review. There will be an exam almost every week, there are no multiple choice questions all essay and short answer. Only the tests count for your grade and there is almost no support material given (aka never open book or notes). There is homework every day it dosn't count for your grade but must be completed perfectly or you redo the questions you missed, or ive seen people do badly enough on it that they had to redo the entire assigment.

mostlyharmless

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2010, 07:48 »
Who is admiral Mullin and why should he get the boot?

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2010, 09:53 »
Who is admiral Mullin and why should he get the boot?

He is the CJCS - recommended doing away with don't ask don't tell and allowing gays to serve openly in the military.  :)  http://tpmlivewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/02/how-mullen-changed-the-future-of-gays-in-the-military.php

Some people are all freaked out about this - considering it one of the signs of the apocalypse or something.  :o

More discussion in the Polisci board - Gays in the military   8)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

mostlyharmless

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2010, 08:32 »
All right navy folks, talk about safety in the fleet. Do you have a formalized system, do you use any off the rack programs ? Please post under safety topic. Any thing safety related would be great.

ELT_Phai

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2010, 03:32 »
I recently finished the pipeline.  Like everyone else has said, it has it's up and downs.  The material is not difficult, it's the quantity at which it comes.  From a Mechanic view, A School was easy.  Power School ramps up the difficulty and pace slightly.  Can't talk for NY, but NPTU Charleston (proto) will be a different learning environment than what you've been exposed to.  Take showers and don't be afraid to put yourself out there.  If you mess up they'll fix you...

My time here in Charleston, in the pipeline flew by.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?