Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu DEP Monday. Have to go electronics? honeypot

Author Topic: DEP Monday. Have to go electronics?  (Read 8012 times)

Offline FLoridaNuke

• Very Lite User
DEP Monday. Have to go electronics?
« on: Jun 03, 2010, 12:05 »
Hey guys!
I am heading down to Miami MEPS on sunday night. I thought everything was all set until today, I was talking to my recruiter and he said I will have to DEP in as advanced electronics or something similar and then wait to be changed over to nuke. I have a 95 AFQT. He said that this is how it has to be done and that it is impossible for me to get nuke into my contract. He said, and I quote, "You have to DEP into something similar and then the nuke coordinator will put you on a list of people who want to be a nuke and when you qualify then you'll have your contract sent here [the recruiting station]"

Should I trust this? I've heard alot about people getting "screwed by their recruiter" and to only "trust what you get in writing" which makes me really hesitant about this. I feel like I could get stuck doing something other than nuke.

Would really appreciate some feedback, thanks!

Offline crusemm

• Moderate User
Re: DEP Monday. Have to go electronics?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 03, 2010, 12:14 »
Not sure if things have changed, but 20+ years ago, when I entered DEP, everything I had signed said "nuclear".  Though, I don't kn ow why your recruiter would do something like that.  As far as I know, nukes still count as two ascesions (sp?) for recruiters, i.e. you as a nuke count as two people as any other rating.  Now, he may have been talking about "advanced technical training" which is what gets you the extra one year on your enlistment.  Or he could just be a guy that doesn't know what he's talking about.  If the contract you sign does not say specifically what you want to sign up for, don't sign it.
Authentic truth is never simple and that any version of truth handed down from on high---whether by presidents, prime ministers, or archbishops---is inherently suspect.-Andrew Bacevich

Offline FLoridaNuke

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Jun 03, 2010, 12:20 »
Thanks for the quick feedback! :)
He was definitely talking about Advanced Electronics. I got the impressions he knew what he was talking about and wasn't completely clueless as to the nuclear program. He was going on about how the nuclear coordinator was on his ship with him for 4.5 years so they're all buddy buddy and I'm shoe-in once I dep in. The chief at the recruiting station was telling me that I need to make sure I choose something that won't ship out in say 2 or 3 months to ensure I can get my contract changed to nuke.
That made me feel a little better about this but I'm still not too sure.
Thanks again! :D

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #3 on: Jun 03, 2010, 12:59 »
Never, ever, ever sign a contract that has a 'Trust Me' verbal clause at the end. NEVER!

Did I say never?

If not, I will repeat. NEVER!!!!!!
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

fireb0x

« Reply #4 on: Jun 03, 2010, 01:39 »
I am currently contracted as a DEP nuke. When I was in MEPS, they classified me as something else and after I took the NAPT, they reclassified me as a nuke.

This was my process though, I suppose any recruiter could actually be lying to you, but that process is pretty much exactly what I went through.

I was only that other classification for the 2 hours that it took me to take the NAPT, at which point I became a nuke that same day. There was some fear that it would slip over into the next day, though.

Offline Neutron_Herder

• SRO / STA
  • Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: Jun 03, 2010, 02:12 »
If you want to be a Nuke, don't sign anything that doesn't say it.  They might be able to get you into the program later, but what if they're suddenly short on people with advanced electronics training out in the Fleet?  Now you're going to go be a conventional ET, or something else.  Not to bash them, they're better at electronics than most Nuke ETs are...  But if you want to be a Nuke, make them put it in your contract.  If not the hated phrase "Needs of the Navy" will rear its ugly head and you'll spend six years of your life pissed off because you should have been a Nuke.

Hold out for what you want!!

Good luck...
"If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking" - Gen. George S. Patton

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #6 on: Jun 03, 2010, 03:36 »
25 years ago I was an RM until about 1600 on the day of my MEPS visit.  That's when I decided that nuke was too good to pass up.  Count me among those who believes he chose wisely.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #7 on: Jun 03, 2010, 06:27 »
Never, ever, ever sign a contract that has a 'Trust Me' verbal clause at the end. NEVER!

Did I say never?

If not, I will repeat. NEVER!!!!!!

What he said is very good advice.

NEVER
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline FLoridaNuke

• Very Lite User
« Reply #8 on: Jun 04, 2010, 11:34 »
Thanks so much for the advice guys :D

PotentialNuke

« Reply #9 on: Jun 14, 2010, 04:35 »
Do not believe this. They told me the same thing when I went, constantly telling me that there were no jobs available in the Navy, but constantly giving me the job titles of positions that I did not want that were open to be contracted. I told them no on every one of them until I got my nuke waiver back. Do not fall for this. Be adamant and only settle for what you want. I'm sure you regret it if you do not. Leave July 7th, excited to be on my way.
Elias

crewjobs

« Reply #10 on: Jun 24, 2010, 03:51 »

My son entered DEP on April 1, 2010.   His enlistment contract says NUCLEAR FIELD right on the contract.  It gave a ship date (late December, 2010).  It says he will enter basic training as an E-3.   It also listed his enlistment bonus for Nuclear Field payable upon successful completion of his schooling.   All of this was right on the contract.  There were no surprises, everything was as he expected.

He also volunteered for submarine duty, and that was also mentioned in his enlistment contract as an addendum.

So if someone wants current information, this is from a young man currently in DEP who just signed the contract 2 months ago.

LaFeet

« Reply #11 on: Jun 30, 2010, 12:53 »
That's the way it should be..... only sign the paper if it says what  you want on it.  If you desire to be a Nuke, verify that the contract reflects that PRIOR to sigining. 

Good luck and than you for your service

Offline walstib

• Moderate User
  • I hate Monday's
« Reply #12 on: Jun 30, 2010, 01:22 »
From FloridaNuke -  "He was going on about how the nuclear coordinator was on his ship with him for 4.5 years so they're all buddy buddy and I'm shoe-in once I dep in."

Right!  He probably knows the Commander of the sub fleet also, if you want to go subs.
« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2010, 01:24 by walstib »
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail -Emerson
If you are going through hell, keep going
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - H S Thompson

Offline USNGreaseMonkey

• Lurker
« Reply #13 on: Jul 26, 2010, 11:18 »
whoever your recruiter is, he is a liar and an idiot you might not even have to take the aptitude test, i didnt.  There is no set way of determining what you will rate as at meps so long as you dont sign a contract unless it says what you want on it you will be fine.  Remeber this until you sign the piece of paper and hold up your hand to swear in no one i repeat no one can tell you what to do at meps if you dont like what they have to offer walk away you have the power.

Samabby

« Reply #14 on: Jul 27, 2010, 02:27 »
" whoever your recruiter is, he is a liar and an idiot you might not even have to take the aptitude test, i didnt.  There is no set way of determining what you will rate as at meps so long as you dont sign a contract unless it says what you want on it you will be fine.  Remeber this until you sign the piece of paper and hold up your hand to swear in no one i repeat no one can tell you what to do at meps if you dont like what they have to offer walk away you have the power."

Somewhere, an English teacher is weeping.  :'(

co60slr

« Reply #15 on: Jul 27, 2010, 02:34 »
Somewhere, an English teacher is weeping.  :'(
You think the quality of these DEP'er threads would improve if the English was correct?

Somewhere there are 10 Navy Nuke Vets weeping.  The English teacher can stand in line.

;)

Co60

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #16 on: Jul 27, 2010, 02:42 »
Notice that FloridaNuke hasn't replied in over 6 weeks.

50 quatloos says the OP signed up for whatever blue-light special the recruiter was serving that day.

They start the threads, ask lots of questions, play the what-if game for more details, and then do it anyways. Maybe 2 in 10 hold out for Nuke and come back to tell us about their adventure. Hence the frustration.

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #17 on: Jul 27, 2010, 06:27 »
Notice that FloridaNuke hasn't replied in over 6 weeks.

50 quatloos says the OP signed up for whatever blue-light special the recruiter was serving that day.

They start the threads, ask lots of questions, play the what-if game for more details, and then do it anyways. Maybe 2 in 10 hold out for Nuke and come back to tell us about their adventure. Hence the frustration.
Heh. We use you for your knowledge.  ;)

But don't fear. If I get into the program I'll stick around to make sure you know about it. :)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?