Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Air Force Aviation to NLO  

Author Topic: Air Force Aviation to NLO  (Read 4983 times)

DC8AV8R

Air Force Aviation to NLO
« on: Jun 19, 2010, 12:23 »
I am asking all the experienced operators out there what they think my chances are of getting into an NLO position? I am currently an Air Force Flight Engineer in the Reserves and work for a defense contractor as a Field Service Rep, Avionics and Electrics on numerous aircraft. I have an FAA Airframe & Powerplant License as well as a security clearance. I currently do not have a degree due to the vast amount of time on the road, although I would like to finish that up. I am tired of living out of a suitcase, and my wife would really like it for me to be home more. I live in Harrisburg Pa, and would like to hear from some people at plants around that area. Thanks in advance for your help.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
Re: Air Force Aviation to NLO
« Reply #1 on: Jun 19, 2010, 02:24 »
I am asking all the experienced operators out there what they think my chances are of getting into an NLO position? I am currently an Air Force Flight Engineer in the Reserves and work for a defense contractor as a Field Service Rep, Avionics and Electrics on numerous aircraft. I have an FAA Airframe & Powerplant License as well as a security clearance. I currently do not have a degree due to the vast amount of time on the road, although I would like to finish that up. I am tired of living out of a suitcase, and my wife would really like it for me to be home more. I live in Harrisburg Pa, and would like to hear from some people at plants around that area. Thanks in advance for your help.

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/board,71.0.html

TMI obviously fits the bill, but several others may work if you are willing to move...?
« Last Edit: Jun 19, 2010, 02:29 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #2 on: Jun 19, 2010, 07:59 »

PM me and I will put you in touch with our local recruiter here. I work at peach bottom and this guy covers us, TMI and Limerick. Peach Bottom will be hiring for a class next Jan.

sanityassassin

« Reply #3 on: Jun 20, 2010, 12:22 »

While I can't help you out with anything in your area, I would like to give you some encouragement: Don't let anyone tell you it can't be done. I recently transitioned into the industry by being hired on as an AO (NLO) after working in the aviation maintenance field for 15 years (half military/half civilian). While I do have a AOS in Aviation Maintenance and a BS in Management, I don't think a degree is a necessity.

In my job hunt, I was confident that if I could just get my foot in the door and actually get an interview that my chances would be good. Unfortunately, with the vast amount of applicants there are out there, it can be tough to reach that point--it took me two years before I even got invited in to take the POSS test and get an interview.

Do you know anyone that works in Operations at a plant? If they are willing to vouch for you, then maybe they could at least help you get an invitation to take the POSS test/interview. Once there, it would be up to you to sell yourself through your resume, interview, and test results.

Good luck!

« Last Edit: Jun 20, 2010, 12:25 by sanityassassin »

RugbyGuy

« Reply #4 on: Jul 20, 2010, 11:34 »
Good technical skills and understanding of systems, electrical, mechanical, hydraulic, steam, liquid.  Good understanding of science and physics.  Ability to work in a highly structured, technical, procedure driven, rule based environment.

20 year NLO/EO/AO here, now an Instructor.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?