Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu How long is the wait in DEP? honeypot

Author Topic: How long is the wait in DEP?  (Read 31989 times)

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
How long is the wait in DEP?
« on: Jul 08, 2010, 10:56 »
Hey,

I'm new here and I'm going to be taking the ASVAB in about a month. I've been doing lots of research on the internet and I'm sure you know how that can be. :)

How long do people usually have to wait in DEP to go to basic training? So far I've seen average estimates at about 7 - 9 months. I was also wondering if the wait time is any different for females.

Thanks!

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: How long is the wait in DEP?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 09, 2010, 12:09 »
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php?topic=22559.0

is a recent thread that might help.

Good luck!

Offline Estis

• Light User
« Reply #2 on: Jul 09, 2010, 12:02 »
The estimates of 7-9 months seem accurate based on my personal experience. I depped in on June 16,2010 and my ship date is Feb 22,2011, which makes my wait approx eight months. Other deppers who are going Nuke in my recruiting station have similar waiting-to-ship schedules.
Note: I am currently a NUB, therefore, take all answers/replies/opinions with the grain of salt it deserves

crewjobs

« Reply #3 on: Jul 09, 2010, 12:23 »
My son entered DEP on April 1, 2010 and leaves for  boot camp near the end of December --  almost 9 months.

« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2010, 12:32 by crewjobs »

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Jul 09, 2010, 12:50 »
Thanks for the input everyone. :)

Offline BK3

• Light User
« Reply #5 on: Jul 16, 2010, 02:33 »
Yep, I waited 10 months in DEP.

Offline tiffany_1686

• Lurker
« Reply #6 on: Jul 18, 2010, 01:56 »
I was up at meps 2 weeks ago. Both of the girls I went up with have to wait nearly a year to ship out.

I'm prior service so I didn't get a ship date or anything yet. It's a different program.

Offline Wanna Know Mom

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #7 on: Jul 19, 2010, 12:26 »
"....have to wait nearly a year to ship out."

Here's their opportunity to....
1. complete a college class, or two, or perhaps a full year
2. diligently work at squaring away debt
3. become physically fit beyond Navy standards
4. spend quality time with family and close friends, as these opportunities will be infrequent the first 2 years.
5. follow DEP requirements (which will nearly complete the 8th year of obligated service)
6. learn how to listen, follow instructions, research for answers before asking questions

Kathy VPNNM

proud dad

« Reply #8 on: Jul 25, 2010, 11:14 »
Well the wait for Nuke is about 9 months...I don't ship out until May, 2011 :(

But hey, another thing to comment about...You don't want to study too much about the ASVAB....You really don't want to qualify for something that you might not be ready for...(not saying you're not)

To qualify for Nuke, you'll need to make a 252 line score on Nuke, or at most a 240 with a score of 50 on the NAPT...I took the ASVAB and scored 235 on the line score, 81 overall, and then scored a 68 on the NAPT....just make sure that you don't study too much...might hurt you later on...but that's all you need to get in.

Maybe it's just me,being an outsider.That does not seem to be very good advice. Or, to plagiarize a NW member whom I respect"That is the most asinine statement I have ever heard"

Alan

co60slr

« Reply #9 on: Jul 26, 2010, 08:05 »
lol ok, I guess that's just how you feel.
He's not alone, and perhaps my resume allows the observation to go from "feeling" to fact.  Regardless...

It bothers me a bit to see you "fellow DEP'ers" giving each other advice about the Nuclear Navy when you're all standing in line waiting to get into boot camp.   You're not a nuke until you reach the finish line...about 2-3 years from now.  You can post anything you want...you don't answer to me.  As such, I'm typing more for your peers than for you.  The Navy will help you out when you get there.  :)

So, instead of whining or pontificating about how long it takes to get in (where the wait hasn't changed in 30 years), I recommend you guys/gals waiting to get into the Navy start preparing (yes, studying) for the most intense academic challenge in your life.   Your pre-Navy test scores are irrelevant in my opinion since I've seen people ace those exams and then wash out of Nuke School.  Navy Recruiting would do just as well by not telling anyone their scores and simply saying "you're in" or "you're non-nuclear".

If you had any clue what was ahead of you, this thread would be filled with "what can I do during DEP to get ready?" instead of giving poor advice on "how to skate by".  Meanwhile, I'll volunteer for your peers that they may consider familiarizing themselves with this material as a preparation of things to come:
http://www.hss.energy.gov/nuclearsafety/ns/techstds/standard/standard.html
Fundamental Handbooks....Math, Reactor Physics, Materials Science, etc.   Or don't...go play your XBox360.   The competition has already begun.

Finally, you seem pretty willing to rack up a "negative Karma" and pop off to the father of one of your peers.  Would you do that in real life if he were standing in front of you? 

You don't answer to me or ProudDad though in some Internet Forum.  I do know with 110% certainty that someone you will soon answer to most likely reading your postings right now and preparing for your arrival in Boot Camp.

Good luck...sincerely.  The Navy needs you.  I hope you're ready to fullfill your end of the bargain.

Co60

DarrenE

« Reply #10 on: Nov 12, 2010, 09:28 »
I like how the troll above feels he has to trash and discredit peoples post due to them being in DEP. If you think about it, I'm sure they've done their research on our future job, and I'm pretty sure the internet and information received by recruiters is more credible than your post that really didn't have any decent advise in it. Pretty much restating what was already stated only with a more smug attitude

Back to the post, I signed in September and I get ship 20110419. Talking this week about getting it sooner, (hopefully)

co60slr

« Reply #11 on: Nov 12, 2010, 10:44 »
I like how the troll above feels he has to trash and discredit peoples post due to them being in DEP. If you think about it, I'm sure they've done their research on our future job, and I'm pretty sure the internet and information received by recruiters is more credible than your post that really didn't have any decent advise in it. Pretty much restating what was already stated only with a more smug attitude
You have no clue about anything to do with the NNPP yet...Darren.  Furthermore, your immature, smug-ass attitude will catch up with you on active duty.   Guaranteed.

You have no clue who the volunteers here are, what we did in the Navy, what we do now, or who in general you're talking to.

Run along Mr. Anonymous (real name posted in his email account with google search revealing his Facebook account, home town, and recruiters name).  You have much to learn. #fail

Co58
« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2010, 12:31 by Co60Slr »

tselby

« Reply #12 on: Nov 12, 2010, 10:54 »
Darren

I was going to keep quiet, but no matter how much research you do while in DEP prior to actually entering service nor how much you ask your recruiter it will not amount to anything substantial,,,,,,,, take it from me, I am a 21yr Naval Nuclear CPO who has seen many like you come his way,,,,,,,,,,,, if you showed up in my division the first thing i would do is volunteer you off to deck division to paint the side of my submarine to help adjust your attitude a little bit, oh BTW you would still be required to keep up on your qualifications...........

Welcome to Navy life sailor, GET HOT!!!!!!!

UGA

Offline Estis

• Light User
« Reply #13 on: Nov 12, 2010, 11:05 »

Meanwhile, I'll volunteer for your peers that they may consider familiarizing themselves with this material as a preparation of things to come:
http://www.hss.energy.gov/nuclearsafety/ns/techstds/standard/standard.html
Fundamental Handbooks....Math, Reactor Physics, Materials Science, etc.   Or don't...go play your XBox360.   The competition has already begun.

Co60

Sorry to thread-jack, but I have a few questions about how people should study these topics...

1. What order would you recommend learning the handbooks in?
2. Are some of these handbooks more critical than others? Which ones should I focus on knowing?
3. Any other handbooks (besides the ones listed) do you recommend we read? There are a whole lot of them on there. Most of them seem like they could be useful...

For example, all of the following seem like they could be useful to a nuke...but its hard to tell....
Electrical Science
Thermodynamics
Instrumentation and Control
Engineering Symbology
Radiological Control
etc.

4. Do you have any textbooks, for these subjects, that you would recommend? After reading the handbooks you linked, I noticed that the handbooks are more like a set of reference manuals designed for people who already know what they are talking about. As opposed to a textbook whose purpose is to teach those who don't have a clue...

Note: I am currently a NUB, therefore, take all answers/replies/opinions with the grain of salt it deserves

co60slr

« Reply #14 on: Nov 12, 2010, 12:37 »
Sorry to thread-jack, but I have a few questions about how people should study these topics...

1. What order would you recommend learning the handbooks in?
2. Are some of these handbooks more critical than others? Which ones should I focus on knowing?
3. Any other handbooks (besides the ones listed) do you recommend we read? There are a whole lot of them on there. Most of them seem like they could be useful...

For example, all of the following seem like they could be useful to a nuke...but its hard to tell....
Electrical Science
Thermodynamics
Instrumentation and Control
Engineering Symbology
Radiological Control
etc.

4. Do you have any textbooks, for these subjects, that you would recommend? After reading the handbooks you linked, I noticed that the handbooks are more like a set of reference manuals designed for people who already know what they are talking about. As opposed to a textbook whose purpose is to teach those who don't have a clue...
None are required, and none are identical to NPS.  These are just books to look through to get an idea of Reactor Physics, Thermodynamics, etc.  Radiological controls, Engineering symbology, etc are likely to not help you.  Look for the titles that sound like college courses.   

You'll be taught everything you need at NNPS, so no one needs to study in advance.   I reference those links for those that are dying to see what is taught and those books provide a good start with some of the engineering basics.

Make sure your math skills stay sharp and the rest should fall into place nicely for you with sound study habits.

Offline sovbob

• Fact-Checker
  • Moderate User
  • Vanguard of the Vox Populi
« Reply #15 on: Nov 12, 2010, 01:07 »
Estis,
Check your PMs.
"Everyone's entitled to be stupid now and then, but you're abusing the privilege."

Offline jimbo0697

• Light User
« Reply #16 on: Nov 12, 2010, 02:51 »
It really depends on the needs of the Navy at this point.  If you are looking to leave early and you don't mind it being with little notice ask your recruiter to submit a DAR or dep action request to move your date up.  He may ask if you would be open to switching jobs and if you want to be a Nuke then don't under any circumstances agree to change jobs just to move your date up.  The first opening that opens up due to someone waiting in DEP messing up or getting injured they will slide you in.  You may only have 3 days to two  weeks before leaving for bootcamp but you can.  Most of the time when signing up at MEPS you can leave for boot as far out as a year from your DEP date.  Moving your time up is harder due to every person DEPing in is filling a seat in school and if they do not have a seat open then they can't put you in it.  Most recruiters are more than willing to put in a DAR to help you out because it cuts down the potential for losing a DEP recruit due to unforseen circumstances.  I was a recruiter and am a nuke MM if you have anymore questions just ask.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #17 on: Nov 29, 2010, 03:02 »
It really depends on the needs of the Navy at this point.  If you are looking to leave early and you don't mind it being with little notice ask your recruiter to submit a DAR or dep action request to move your date up.  He may ask if you would be open to switching jobs and if you want to be a Nuke then don't under any circumstances agree to change jobs just to move your date up.  The first opening that opens up due to someone waiting in DEP messing up or getting injured they will slide you in.  You may only have 3 days to two  weeks before leaving for bootcamp but you can.  Most of the time when signing up at MEPS you can leave for boot as far out as a year from your DEP date.  Moving your time up is harder due to every person DEPing in is filling a seat in school and if they do not have a seat open then they can't put you in it.  Most recruiters are more than willing to put in a DAR to help you out because it cuts down the potential for losing a DEP recruit due to unforseen circumstances.  I was a recruiter and am a nuke MM if you have anymore questions just ask.

what this post doesnt tell you, if you enlist early you potentially lose your bonuses. The difference between enlisting earlier then later was about 8,000 dollars for me, and Im sure its much more now.   make sure you ask.... 

Offline Rock Chalk Jayhawk

• Light User
  • Stay positive, and love your life!
« Reply #18 on: Nov 29, 2010, 09:01 »
what this post doesnt tell you, if you enlist early you potentially lose your bonuses. The difference between enlisting earlier then later was about 8,000 dollars for me, and Im sure its much more now.   make sure you ask.... 

Nope..I left recruiting a couple weeks ago, and the bonuses were $15K...year round.  I DID hear about the potential drop down to $12K year round, but that hasn't hit yet.

Rock Chalk
"A shortcut's a self defeating means.  If you cannot do it clean, you'll never reach your reward. And when the day is done, what you receive is the sum of what you took out from what you put in." ~311

co60slr

« Reply #19 on: Nov 29, 2010, 11:46 »
I think I actually lost IQ points by reading this.   However, when C.M. posts in a dozen different subforums, it's hard to avoid.

Nukeworker needs a Poster Filter!   Similar to NewsGroups, each member can chose to block posts from annoying posters.   However, then I'll see 10 people replying to a post that I can't see, which will also make no sense.

(Sigh).   /Rant.

Co58

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #20 on: Nov 29, 2010, 03:24 »
I think I actually lost IQ points by reading this.   However, when C.M. posts in a dozen different subforums, it's hard to avoid.

Nukeworker needs a Poster Filter!   Similar to NewsGroups, each member can chose to block posts from annoying posters.   However, then I'll see 10 people replying to a post that I can't see, which will also make no sense.

(Sigh).   /Rant.

Co58

haha.

Ok, lemme rephrase. Nuke bonuses varied depending on the time frame I joined. I dont know how the system works, but I was in dep for 13 months. They offered me an earlier seat, but I would have lost 8000 dollars to do it.  Apparently they have changed the system AND lowered the bonuses O.o.  sorry for being presumptuous.

Nope..I left recruiting a couple weeks ago, and the bonuses were $15K...year round.  I DID hear about the potential drop down to $12K year round, but that hasn't hit yet.
Rock Chalk

well its been a good several years since I signed any papers. when I was joining the bonuses changed depending on the time of year.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?