Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuclear carrier in Mayport?  

Author Topic: Nuclear carrier in Mayport?  (Read 6107 times)

Offline SweetPea

• Very Lite User
Nuclear carrier in Mayport?
« on: Jul 16, 2010, 03:29 »
There has been lots of chatter about a nuclear carrier from Norfolk being moved to the Mayport base in Jacksonville, Fl.

My questions are:
1) What is the likelihood of this happening?
2) Would my husband be able to transfer to that boat? I have family there and having a new baby, it would ease our minds a bit knowing that I wouldn't be completely alone while he is on deployment.

Offline SweetPea

• Very Lite User
Re: Nuclear carrier in Mayport?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 22, 2010, 12:25 »
Thanks! I was half expecting a smart Alec answer from one of the old pros here. :)

I appreciate it!

I doubt that it's ever going to happen, but a girl can wish, right?

co60slr

« Reply #2 on: Jul 22, 2010, 05:47 »
Thanks! I was half expecting a smart Alec answer from one of the old pros here. :)

I appreciate it!

I doubt that it's ever going to happen, but a girl can wish, right?
Wish for...what?  A smart-Alec answer or the CVN in Mayport?  :P

After putting "Navy homporting CVN in Mayport" in the "Google Box", I found this:
http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=41810

See, you have both wishes now.  :)  However, read the fine print on "pending infrastructure" (e.g., nuclear support buildings, people, etc).   My guess is years down the road, but in any event, I wouldn't extend on my CVN right now waiting for orders to Mayport.

Co60

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Jul 22, 2010, 07:51 »
2016 timeframe is the best estimate to get all the infastructure in place.  But that's if they started yesterday.  I couldn't tell you what MILCON projects are currently underway there, but if the answer is none, then its a day for day slip in the timeline to get one there.
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

LaFeet

« Reply #4 on: Jul 22, 2010, 11:28 »
They were talking about this topic back in the 90's.  The facilities at kings bay were to be utilized until local facilities could be built.  Good luck with you hopes, and thank for your husbands service - Pablo

Offline gogamecocks

• Light User
« Reply #5 on: Jun 29, 2012, 01:41 »
I know this is an old post but I had to laugh when I read it. There was serious talk of putting a nuke carrier in Mayport when my husband joined the Navy. We were always hoping and waiting to go there b/c he has family there and it would make a much better sea duty station than Norfolk. 20 years later, my husband is retiring and it has not happened yet. I will believe it when I see it.

Offline eaton1981

• Moderate User
« Reply #6 on: Jun 29, 2012, 02:09 »
It MIGHT still happen. It's definitely in an "on hold" status at the moment.

http://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2012/02/13/mayport-nuclear-carrier-timetime-is.html

Sounds like the Mayport congressman are about to get into a fight with the Norfolk congressman.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?