Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Applying as a contractor- good idea?

Author Topic: Applying as a contractor- good idea?  (Read 2870 times)

femtoscott

Applying as a contractor- good idea?
« on: Jul 23, 2010, 06:52 »
Hi all, I'm a new graduate looking to start a career, and I believe operations is where I want to be.  I have been watching job postings for a while and have not seen any openings in the area.  At this point I'm considering applying to a contract company, but I'm concerned that if I'm locked into a 6 month or year contract I may not be able to apply for the jobs I want when they become available.  I would like to end up working in Minnesota, but if I had to work somewhere else for a year or so first I'm not opposed to that.

My other question is whether there is another area I should be looking into- such as maintenance or IC- that might be equally appropriate for my skillset.  My degree is a BS in Automotive Engineering Technology with minors in Physics and Manufacturing Engineering Technology.  I actually nearly completed the physics degree but I just couldn't hack the wave calculations in quantum.  I have experience repairing and running a particle accelerator and have built and tuned a homebrew ECU for an engine.  I interned at Prairie Island a couple summers ago and while I was there I got some information on the NLO-RO-SRO and direct SRO options.  Direct SRO actually didn't sound as appealing to me as I am sort of a hands on person.  My aspirations are to do rewarding work with big machines, not to position myself to become high level management.

I would appreciate any advice you all have to offer.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?