Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu For the Newbies; Should there be a "START HERE" page?

Author Topic: For the Newbies; Should there be a "START HERE" page?  (Read 4227 times)

twinturbo427

Wading through the 10+ years of posts and replies can be a daunting task and a task not without merits.  However, would a general "Start Here" type of posting that could be pinned or locked be helpful?  What things should be included?

What would be the top five Q&A's ?

My rough draft (and I am a greenhorn myself) would probably start something like this;

Welcome to Nukeworker!
  You are obviously interested in a career in one of the rewarding nuclear fields and have found your way to the preeminent source of information on the internet.  So after you have read a few postings as a guest you should:

1)  Sign up for the Forum and post a Hello! to introduce yourself to the community.

2)  Sign up for the Nuclear Jobs section and post a resume'.

3)  Find the search button and use it before firing off that first question.

....that is what I have so far, give me some ideas and we will see where this goes.   Thanks [nuke]

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: For the Newbies; Should there be a "START HERE" page?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 30, 2010, 08:59 »
1)  Sign up for the Forum and post a Hello! to introduce yourself to the community.

17000 Hello's and 2000 new hello's a year would quickly drown out the useful existing topics and posts. A large chunk of new arrivals show up, trick-or-treat their question, maybe a response or two, then vanish. That will kill the site for those folks looking for outage housing, upcoming outage news, etc.

Other than that, your idea of a Start Here section has been suggested and tried. I know I'd like to see it as a mandatory read-and-check like a EULA on software.

Just my two yen...

masse

new in the field,
« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2010, 03:11 »
Hello-
I am currently a student in Nuclear Power Technology at Bismarck State College so I can get in tghe nuclear field.. Any advice????

499tarheel

Re: For the Newbies; Should there be a "START HERE" page?
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2010, 04:20 »
The Bismarck State Program is a very good. I think that will definitely help you land a job, but you'll have to find a company that is familiar with it. Companies that have had employees from that program should be very receptive, but not all companies know about Bismarck State.

I personally went through that program and practically slept through the  GFES portion of class at my plant. You'll have all the theory to just about pass the GFES, but you'll still need to pay attention during systems training.

Finish your degree at Bismarck State. Start applying for NLO jobs, and start on finishing your BS at Excelsior. The BS is too easy once you have the AS from Bismarck. Give it time because nuclear moves slow. Give yourself at least a year of applying and testing to every utility that'll have you.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?