Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Youngin wanting to ask some questions.  

Author Topic: Youngin wanting to ask some questions.  (Read 4651 times)

Offline Bitterguy

• Very Lite User
Youngin wanting to ask some questions.
« on: Jul 31, 2010, 02:25 »
My dad is and ex-nuke, (If you worked on the USS Washington and new a guy named "Bitterjack" please tell me maybe my dad will like meeting another ex-nuke from his ship.) and i have some question about the navy nuke program.

1. Do I need and college experience? (if so how much)
2. What classes should I take in high-school?
3. What is minimum GPA for nuke?
4. How long is the navy nuke program?
5. How long does it take to work off the cost?

-Thank you

Offline sovbob

• Fact-Checker
  • Moderate User
  • Vanguard of the Vox Populi
Re: Youngin wanting to ask some questions.
« Reply #1 on: Jul 31, 2010, 10:10 »
My dad is and ex-nuke...

Shouldn't you ask him?
"Everyone's entitled to be stupid now and then, but you're abusing the privilege."

Offline Bitterguy

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Jul 31, 2010, 03:21 »
Shouldn't you ask him?

He is off in Georgia training for some new equipment they received in the paper mill he works at.

Offline sovbob

• Fact-Checker
  • Moderate User
  • Vanguard of the Vox Populi
« Reply #3 on: Jul 31, 2010, 04:09 »
Alright then.

1. Do I need and college experience? (if so how much)

Enlisted, no.  Just a high school diploma.
Officer, yes.  You'll need a bachelor's degree.

2. What classes should I take in high-school?

Enlisted, definitely take algebra I.  Physics, chemistry, and mechanical principles are nice but not requirements.
Officer, take calculus I and calculus based physics.

3. What is minimum GPA for nuke?
There is no minimum GPA requirement for enlisted.  Instead, you take the ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery) and possibly the NAPT (Navy Advanced Programs Test).  If you score high enough on those tests, you're eligible for the nuclear program (along with various other requirements.) 

If you received a D or F in any high school math class, you'll need to get an academic waiver approved.

For officers, you're going to need at least a 3.5 GPA in a college engineering program to be competitive.

4. How long is the navy nuke program?
The initial training is approximately 15-18 months of classroom and hands-on training (plus two months of boot camp), broken up into three major stages.  'A' School, Power School, and Prototype.

5. How long does it take to work off the cost?
Enlisting in the nuclear program requires a six-year commitment.  You can, of course, re-enlist after that.

I'm not sure about the officer requirements.  GC, would you help with that?
"Everyone's entitled to be stupid now and then, but you're abusing the privilege."

Offline Bitterguy

• Very Lite User
« Reply #4 on: Jul 31, 2010, 05:15 »
One more question. Based on my knowledge, being an officer means you have to work harder and they can call you to go back to the navy anytime they want. That runs up the question should I join as an enlisted work off my time, go to college get a bachelors degree and become an officer or continue working as an enlisted or get a civilian job.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #5 on: Jul 31, 2010, 07:41 »

I'm not sure about the officer requirements.  GC, would you help with that?

Minimum obligated service (MOS)  for a nuclear Officer is 5 years....perhaps more if you go SWO(N)....you must do 2 years on CVN, so if you show up to your CVN late, you'll stay longer then 5.

One more question. Based on my knowledge, being an officer means you have to work harder and they can call you to go back to the navy anytime they want. That runs up the question should I join as an enlisted work off my time, go to college get a bachelors degree and become an officer or continue working as an enlisted or get a civilian job.
Your knowledge is somewhat suspect.  You will work hard as an officer, but it is a different kind of hard.  Its a grind in that you always have something to do.  You do have time to serve in the IRR, but I don't know of any nuke officer who has separated at the end of MOS that has been recalled.

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Wanna Know Mom

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #6 on: Jul 31, 2010, 09:05 »
Do you know of any enlisted nuke who has been recalled from the IRR to active duty or acitve reserves?

Kathy VPNNM

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #7 on: Aug 01, 2010, 07:21 »
Do you know of any enlisted nuke who has been recalled from the IRR to active duty or acitve reserves?

Kathy VPNNM

No
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?