Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Study areas  

Author Topic: Study areas  (Read 4312 times)

Offline Neutron_Herder

• SRO / STA
  • Moderate User
Study areas
« on: Aug 04, 2010, 02:56 »
I'm an Instant SRO candidate at a BWR, and wondering how to spend my time for the next 6 weeks.

I've been here since January doing my six months on site, and through the guidance of some friends (and some really good posts on here) going through the same thing ahead of me I think I've done a pretty good job (thanks Brett, Dave, BZ, M1ARK, and JustinHemi).  I spent the first 4 weeks I was here studying the general operation of the systems and how they tied together to spin the turbine, in addition to studying the ECCS systems and the bases behind them.  I'm not going to say that I knew everything, or what I needed to know to pass a test...  But I knew basically how the systems worked.

It paid off.  I was the first in my class to complete my observation books, solely because I took the advice offered to me and actually knew something about how the systems worked before I went out on rounds with the operators.

So now I'm a little lost.  I still have to do GFES right before I start license class .  GFES test in Dec, and Systems starts in Jan.  I've talked to the Operators, ROs, and my Shift Manager on what to look at, but I'm looking for more input.  They all have "Exam Security" badges on, so they're apprehensive (understandably so) about giving me guidance on what's important.  From what I have been told the electrical distribution is very important.  I can draw the diagram down the the switchboard level now, and practice it a couple times a week to make sure I still know it.

So here's the question...  If you had 6 weeks to study whatever you wanted going into License Class what would it be?  Remember that I still have to go through GFES right before I start, so some of it is going to get lost along the way.  I currently spend half the day reviewing GFES notes and taking practice exams, and the other half either reviewing systems or going on rounds with the operators.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Jay
"If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking" - Gen. George S. Patton

Fermi2

Re: Study areas
« Reply #1 on: Aug 04, 2010, 04:04 »
Don't study GFES.

Stick with systems and being with Operators as much as you can. What you need to learn in GFES will be taught to you. Between that and taking the questions from the NRC Exam bank will be more than enough.

Mike

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #2 on: Aug 04, 2010, 08:10 »
Mike,
Great to see you posting again.
LM

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: Aug 04, 2010, 08:22 »
I just started AOIs at a PWR so I will answer your question based on what I wish I had done more of.  I am in Region 2.  I understand that your region greatly impacts what is on your license exam (at least that's what our ILT lead instructor says).

1.  Study your Tech Specs (T/S), particularly the bases.  Make your own copy of the T/S and write notes from the bases in your copy.  During my first few weeks of systems, I was overwhelmed by the required system knowledge and T/S.  I've heard that some plants teach T/S separately so this may not be a good idea for you.

2.  Make some large-size prints of the major systems (flow diagrams for mechanical systems, at least 11 X 17) and make notes on them such as interlocks for valves, failure positions, and power supplies.  

Mike's advice is sound, as usual.   

Good Luck!  
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Offline retread

• Old, fat meter reader
  • Heavy User
  • Every day above ground is a good one
« Reply #4 on: Aug 04, 2010, 02:19 »
Don't study GFES.

Stick with systems and being with Operators as much as you can. What you need to learn in GFES will be taught to you. Between that and taking the questions from the NRC Exam bank will be more than enough.

Mike
Great advice Mike, thanks for thinking of others AGAIN!
In dwelling, be close to the land.
In meditation, go deep in the heart.
In dealing with others, be patient and kind.
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.
In business, be competent.

Fermi2

« Reply #5 on: Aug 05, 2010, 10:20 »
Great advice Mike, thanks for thinking of others AGAIN!

That's the last time. A moderator here prefers I not give honest input, therefore I'm no longer giving any.

Later Man :)

Mikey

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?