Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Enlistment Bonus  

Author Topic: Enlistment Bonus  (Read 15190 times)

Offline Fadge

• Light User
Enlistment Bonus
« on: Aug 18, 2010, 02:46 »
How much did you get?

What are you going to do with it?

What did you do with it?

I signed for 15k, I think I am just going to save most of it for when I leave the navy I will have some money to put down on a house.

Edit: I know that nothing is guaranteed until I pass initial schooling, but I will give it my best and earn that bonus.
« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2010, 02:52 by Fadge »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010, 02:53 by HydroDave63 »

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
Re: Enlistment Bonus
« Reply #2 on: Aug 18, 2010, 04:45 »
There are lots of things to do with it.  Some good, some smart, some fun, some stupid, some bad, and even some that are all of those at the same time.

There is always investing it in stocks, bonds, or other type of financial entity.

You can use it to put money down on a house.

You can use it to buy furniture to furnish an apartment.

You can blow it all on a kick-arse computer system and video games.

You can "donate" to several female's "college funds" in exchange for 2 for 1 dances in the Champagne room.

As you can see there are these and lots of other things to do with money.  If you can't think of anything to do with it, I am sure that there are several on here that have worthy endevours for your money.

I always recommmend that you take a percentage of any bonus(usually 10-20%) and have some fun with it, and use the rest to either invest, pay off debt, or save.

"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #3 on: Aug 19, 2010, 07:46 »
There are lots of things to do with it.  Some good, some smart, some fun, some stupid, some bad, and even some that are all of those at the same time.

You can "donate" to several female's "college funds" in exchange for 2 for 1 dances in the Champagne room.

Helping single mothers, one dollar at a time..... :D
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

IPREGEN

« Reply #4 on: Aug 19, 2010, 08:16 »

Is that like helping single mothers get their start?

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #5 on: Aug 19, 2010, 08:34 »
[jerry]  I don't care who you are, THAT IS FUNNY.
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

haverty

« Reply #6 on: Aug 19, 2010, 08:06 »

hahaha :)

I suggest spending the 5k you get after power school to play with, pay off bills, put down a deposit on a place to live (you get kicked out of barracks), and do whatever. The 10k you get after prototype should go to TSP if you are serious about saving it all.

THAT SAID, get your head in the game. Screw your bonus, you don't get a dime if you dont pass the school. Focus on that instead, mk?

Offline Fadge

• Light User
« Reply #7 on: Aug 20, 2010, 03:06 »
haha ok hav  8)

Offline Jechtm

• Moderate User
« Reply #8 on: Aug 20, 2010, 08:51 »
Pay the rest of my new car off, well 30% of it will do that. ;)
"Truth is the Daughter of Inspiration;... It is like a finger pointing a way to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory."

~Bruce Lee

haverty

« Reply #9 on: Aug 21, 2010, 12:03 »
haha ok hav  8)

Im sorry, did I say something funny? I'm well aware that the program has 0% attrition rate, and focusing on spending money you dont have yet is quite hilarious :)

haha I get it :) IT IS FUNNY!

I'd knock myself down some karma, but it's the truth.

Offline Fadge

• Light User
« Reply #10 on: Aug 21, 2010, 09:52 »
Kind of Hav.  :)

I was also asking what others did with their money, not just focusing on what I will do with the money I do not yet have.

haverty

« Reply #11 on: Sep 02, 2010, 07:17 »
Yes you did,.... :P :P :P

Over here: Career Path / Navy:Getting Out / Re: getting copies of service record
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,25158.msg128661.html#msg128661

First;

The panic, the horror, the drama;

Then,...the blonde moment;

I don't care who you are ,....THATS FUNNY,.... :P 8) :P 8)

Well, now that I have a job, I have no problem telling you that you are completely out of line posting this in here. I can't believe I thought people in the industry would behave like this to someone in my situation. Sorry I served. Sorry my misfortune is humorous to you.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #12 on: Sep 02, 2010, 10:17 »
Well, now that I have a job, I have no problem telling you that you are completely out of line posting this in here. I can't believe I thought people in the industry would behave like this to someone in my situation. Sorry I served. Sorry my misfortune is humorous to you.

Yo, Bruce Lee...when you can actually fill out your own travel voucher on the first try, or fulfill a contract, then get back to us. Until then, get some time!

haverty

« Reply #13 on: Sep 08, 2010, 12:36 »
EDIT:  I give up. You guys should probably have better things to do then attack a 24 year old trying to support his family on a supposedly "helpful" website.

Hydro -> good jabs man, glad the good ole boy network is alive and kickin on nukeworker.com. 

marssim -> My father is a medical researcher at a pharmaceutical company. If you think he had any pull over a reactor plant, Id be shocked. He taught me a bunch of things and prepared me for my interviews. I earned the job I received, all by my self. And who cares if he got me a job, that's how it works most of the time anyway. 
« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2010, 12:47 by haverty »

haverty

« Reply #14 on: Sep 08, 2010, 01:04 »
no dude, you told us your father was a hiring manager,.....

..."And be called a liar myself for the trouble!"....

but,.... you just keep editing, deleting, and scrubbing the posts as you go along kiddo to re fabricate your story however you need to...

wtf do you think stryker does....  he hires research associates.....
« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2010, 01:05 by haverty »

Offline stormgoalie

• Former RP Supervisor, now an Engineer......
  • Very Heavy User
  • Go fast or go home!
« Reply #15 on: Sep 08, 2010, 01:40 »
Goodbye Haverty, apparently the  [Flamer] got too hot for you.  We should all  :'( now that you have left us...... Darn I am starting to sound like a  :old: ROFL
WARNING: Translation of author's random thoughts may have resulted in the unintended introduction of grammatical errors, typos, technical inaccuracies, lies, propaganda, rhetoric, or blasphemy.

Offline Jechtm

• Moderate User
« Reply #16 on: Sep 08, 2010, 06:38 »
Goodbye Haverty, apparently the  [Flamer] got too hot for you.  We should all  :'( now that you have left us...... Darn I am starting to sound like a  :old: ROFL

Oh snap, I think to avoid the same fate, I'll just post when it's necessary ( most likely never again).... and skim through posts like a troll and take all the great information put out here.
+1 troll.

"Truth is the Daughter of Inspiration;... It is like a finger pointing a way to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory."

~Bruce Lee

Offline NHSparky

• Light User
« Reply #17 on: Sep 09, 2010, 01:32 »
Well, better late than never...

Hey, the 10 percent rule sounds like a pretty good idea--blow 10 percent on a vacation, whatever, and invest the rest (and by invest I don't mean pay off the car.)

Find a couple of good low-risk, low-cost mutual funds and invest in them.  And keep adding to them (even $100 per payday over your enlistment will make a HUGE difference 20-30 years down the road.)
Also available in SOBER!

hellfire1234

« Reply #18 on: Sep 21, 2010, 09:16 »
hahaha :)

I suggest spending the 5k you get after power school to play with, pay off bills, put down a deposit on a place to live (you get kicked out of barracks), and do whatever. The 10k you get after prototype should go to TSP if you are serious about saving it all.

THAT SAID, get your head in the game. Screw your bonus, you don't get a dime if you dont pass the school. Focus on that instead, mk?
wow wow...what you mean by get kicked out of barracks?

Offline KUrunner

• Moderate User
« Reply #19 on: Sep 26, 2010, 12:38 »
wow wow...what you mean by get kicked out of barracks?

You get kicked out of the barracks between Power School and Prototype.  You either have to go live out in town or rent a privatized house on base (depending on availability). 
The first rule of thermodynamics is you don't talk about thermodynamics.

Offline Golly Orby

• Light User
« Reply #20 on: Sep 30, 2010, 10:18 »
and by invest I don't mean pay off the car.
The interest paid on the car loan was much greater than the interest I'd earn on investment.  Still kept the lion's share of the bonus for myself, too.

I feel justified.

shocker

« Reply #21 on: Oct 01, 2010, 06:36 »
(50 U.S.C. App. ยง 526)

No obligation or liability bearing interest at a rate in excess of 6 percent per year incurred by a person in military service before that person's entry into that service shall, during any part of the period of military service, bear interest at a rate in excess of 6 percent per year unless, in the opinion of the court, upon application thereto by the obligee, the ability of such person in the military service to pay interest upon such obligation or liability at a rate in excess of 6 percent per year is not materially affected by reason of such service, in which case the court may make such order as in its opinion may be just. As used in this section the term "interest" includes service charges, renewal charges, fees, or any other charges (except bona fide insurance) in respect of such obligation or liability.

Burden of proof is on the creditor.  Add in "income" earned through the form of parental aid, student loans, etc and it's not hard to prove a decrease in financial ability entering the military.  If it's anything like disability, unemployment, etc. in certain areas you have a pretty good chance of winning even without a case.  (A previous boss of mine fired a guy because he caught him walking out of the restaurant with 36 ribeye steaks taped around his legs.  Still had to pay unemployment.)

Working on getting a few of mine taken care of under this law before I ship on Tuesday :-)

That being said I think it's obvious where at least the first section of my bonus is going... Time to pay off my youthful transgressions!
« Last Edit: Oct 01, 2010, 06:39 by shocker »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?