Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu HP supervisor honeypot

Author Topic: HP supervisor  (Read 12846 times)

cougar015

HP supervisor
« on: Aug 27, 2010, 07:59 »
How much time and experience is needed in order to be a HP supervisor? Seems like there is a double standard that techs need training and experience to be a qualified ANSI tech but company's hire supervisors with little experience and then expect the techs to train them. Shouldn't they know at least as much as the techs they supervise? Don't they have to meet ANSI req's too?

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
Re: HP supervisor
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27, 2010, 08:05 »
I believe there are certain requirements for RPM, but not supv. I have seen RPMs that didn't meet the requirement require an experienced, qualified supervisor help them until they met the requirements (usually finishing a degree)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline RP Instructor

• Moderate User
  • Those who "can", "do", and go on to teach others.
« Reply #2 on: Aug 27, 2010, 08:42 »
Cougar:

No matter where you choose to work, you're going to encounter a supervisor(s) who clearly does not know his/her ass from a hole in the ground; and you're going to ask yourself: "How the hell did he/she make supervisor?!". Quite often, it's the "good ole' boy" network at play. Politics. It's not what you know, but who you know. Your best bet is to just be concerned with your own qualifications and doing the best job you know how to do, and try your best to steer clear of the political bullshit. Get promoted based on merit.

Offline let-it-ride

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #3 on: Aug 27, 2010, 09:18 »
I have worked at a utility where the supervisors were all buddies of the site coordinator. All except one was a good supervisor and it didn't take long for him to be replaced.
I was made a supervisor at the site mostly because of my career before being an HP. I took it very seriously and did my best to take care of the techs and their needs. I always thought that if you did the techs right, they would know and do you right. My first commitment was to the techs and not the house.
I remember being involved where the NRC tried to bribe me after they got caught doing the wrong thing. They screwed up and tried to blame it on one of the rovers. I turned it around and challenged them to make something of it.
Ok, enough patting myself on the back.
But having over 20 years in the business, I have found that the supervisors and site coordinators are hand picked by the Contract Company and not the utility.  The utility really doesn't care unless they do something that shows up the utility. Even then it it hard to replace them.
If the outage went ok, the RPM and the management lets it go.
Ok again, we all know supervisors and site people that are as smart as a box of rocks. BUT they are there year after year.
It is just the business. The techs know who is good and watch their backs.

Offline RP Instructor

• Moderate User
  • Those who "can", "do", and go on to teach others.
« Reply #4 on: Aug 27, 2010, 09:25 »
I always thought that if you did the techs right, they would know and do you right. My first commitment was to the techs

Kudos!

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #5 on: Aug 27, 2010, 10:30 »
I remember being involved where the NRC tried to bribe me after they got caught doing the wrong thing. They screwed up and tried to blame it on one of the rovers. I turned it around and challenged them to make something of it.

[Flamer]

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #6 on: Aug 28, 2010, 06:00 »
Ok, enough patting myself on the back.

ROFL

Sounds like a double dog dare to me...... :o

RG!

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #7 on: Aug 28, 2010, 08:59 »
Alot of times nobody highly qualified wants to be a supervisor, so they go with people not as good/qualified.  I wouldn't want to do it.  And the pay usually isn't worth it.

Offline c-zar

• Very Lite User
« Reply #8 on: Aug 28, 2010, 01:18 »
I've worked in the Canadian Nuclear Industry for over 20 yrs and we also see superviors who do not have the technical
qualifactions but they are placed in these positions because they have the people skills needed for these positions. The philosophy our station management has is that these individuals do not have to be strong technically because they have strong techs who can handle all the technical issues. These supervisors have the softer skills required to build good relationships and create a strong team enviorment. Its often refered to as "people at their best" or "the right people in the right positions" . I'm not saying that this is all peaches and cream but this is the idea behind it.

Offline jjack50

• Heavy User
  • Now, LEARN DAMIT!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Aug 28, 2010, 04:06 »
Supervisor qualifications and training requirements are pretty much up to the companies. There is NO accredited program for RP (HP) Supervisors.
There is a Maintenance First Line Supervisor program but none for RP. The expectations are growing through the industry that RP Supervisors will need to attend continuing training along with the techs but still no trend for an initial training program for them.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #10 on: Aug 29, 2010, 12:51 »
Please identify the employer who has a progression program for Maintenance First Line Supervisors but does not have a similar program for Radiation Protection First Line Supervisors.

He is talking about INPO accredited training. Most (if not all) utilities follow INPO training requirements without greatly exceeding them. An accredited training program is an expensive endeavor. So while INPO accredits a maintenance supv program (like Engineers, Operators, etc) they do not require one for RP supv, deconners, warehouse people, etc.
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline jkj

• Light User
« Reply #11 on: Aug 30, 2010, 11:02 »
You guys make some good points. Diversity, sensitivity are definitely big plusses. Here at SRS, ~5 years and a high school diploma and you're in. Oh yeah,--6 months packing groceries at a piggly wiggly sure helps. :)---just kiddin'
Words fail me and pictures aren't much better.

"Never take no cut-offs, and hurry along as fast as you can."-- (Virginia Reed; member of Donner party.)

BetaAnt

« Reply #12 on: Sep 17, 2010, 10:57 »
Playing golf, management relations, and hunt club management are other avenues too.  :o

BA  8) 8) 8)

Offline jkj

• Light User
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2011, 09:59 »
Playing golf, management relations, and hunt club management are other avenues too.  :o

BA  8) 8) 8)

Oh yeah, I forgot about those key quals, along with giving management discounts if you just happen to have a business going on the side---no use letting that rad work get in the way. Yeah, those quals are worth 3 or four years experience easy.
« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2011, 10:01 by jkj »
Words fail me and pictures aren't much better.

"Never take no cut-offs, and hurry along as fast as you can."-- (Virginia Reed; member of Donner party.)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?