Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu shift schedule  

Author Topic: shift schedule  (Read 24171 times)

Offline drnuke

• Very Lite User
shift schedule
« on: Aug 31, 2010, 09:21 »
I am an NLO and we are trying to come up with some different schedule's for next year. We have had a vote and as it stands now it'll be an 8 hour one. We are currently working 12s. I'm just wondering what everyone else works.

Our current schedule is (with 5 crews):

TM TT TW TT OF OS OS DM DT DW DT OF OS OS OM OT OW OT NF NS NS NM OT OW OT DF DS DS OM NT NW NT OF OS OS
« Last Edit: Aug 31, 2010, 11:15 by drnuke »

Offline retread

• Old, fat meter reader
  • Heavy User
  • Every day above ground is a good one
Re: shift schedual
« Reply #1 on: Aug 31, 2010, 09:55 »
I am an NLO and we are trying to come up with some different schedule's for next year. We have had a vote and as it stands now it'll be an 8 hour one. We are currently working 12s. I'm just wondering what everyone else works.

TM TT TW TT OF OS OS DM DT DW DT OF OS OS OM OT OW OT NF NS NS NM OT OW OT DF DS DS OM NT NW NT OF OS OS

Seems like a pretty good schedule to me.  At least they seem to be thinking about your ability to sleep.  They seem to care about your ability to crash without alcoholic "help".  I'm all for that!!
In dwelling, be close to the land.
In meditation, go deep in the heart.
In dealing with others, be patient and kind.
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.
In business, be competent.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: shift schedual
« Reply #2 on: Aug 31, 2010, 11:05 »
It is pointless to list your current 12 hour schedule, if you are going to 8s. Most successful 8-hour schedules (oxymoron there) involve some variation on 10-hour training days to get an extra off day, from the baseline 10 shifts worked (to achieve 80 hours worked) and 4 days off within a 2 week period.

8s...my goodness, you can get a better rotation with more rest back on a CVN. Why did ANYone not vote for 12s?

Offline drnuke

• Very Lite User
Re:
« Reply #3 on: Aug 31, 2010, 11:14 »
true our current schedule isn't bad. however our contract is so vague about 12 hour shifts and the company uses it to their advantage. I have no idea if a 5 crew 8 hour schedule would work with the current fatigue rules. I just wanted to see what other plants work.
« Last Edit: Aug 31, 2010, 11:15 by drnuke »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: shift schedule
« Reply #4 on: Sep 02, 2010, 10:32 »
I've heard 12 hour rotations are solid, but I know we also save money by not being on them.

I'm not sure who is saving any money here. The 24/7/365 watchbill can be covered by fewer FTEs on 12s. Depending on your state laws and collective bargaining agreement, 12s might create more scheduled overtime. Looking at the Big Picture, the total benefits package to the additional bodies for 8s usually adds up to more than the OT in pockets of the fewer FTEs on 12s.  Most of the time the people pushing for 8s either a) haven't experienced 12s and it is fear of the unknown, b) management types or c) people hoping to someday be management by toeing the Party line.
« Last Edit: Sep 02, 2010, 12:38 by HydroDave63 »

Fermi2

« Reply #5 on: Sep 02, 2010, 12:20 »
Your company makes money on 12s.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #6 on: Sep 02, 2010, 01:17 »
Short-sightedness usually wins.  A 12-hour shift schedule invariably requires scheduled OT.  Averaging weeks is not legal for non-exempt employees in the private sector.  So, somebody somewhere is going to have to work more than 40 hours in a week to cover a 12 hour rotation.

But an 8 hour rotation simply cannot be done with fewer than six shifts.  You can write one on paper that uses five shifts without overtime, but it won't work in the real world.  You need six at least.

Naturally, a little built-in OT is much cheaper than increasing your full-time workforce by 20%.  BUT, OT gets tracked and managers get hammered for it, while a bloated staff on straight time doesn't draw the same negative attention.

Here's a sample of an 8 hour rotation that assumes no scheduled overtime, and a pay week of Mon-Sun.  If your pay week is different, you can adjust by starting your pay week where I have Monday.
Legend: 1=midnight to 8 am, 2 = 8 am to 4 pm, 3 = 4pm to midnight, A = first rest day (an off day that pays time and a half if you work it) B= second rest day (an off day that pays double time if you work) R=Relief shift(any shift may be worked that day, or work on days but not part of op shift) T= Training (which would be nice if you did 4-10's that week to get a 5 day weekend before starting the shift rotation)

Day         MTWTFSS|MTWTFSS|MTWTFSS|MTWTFSS|MTWTFSS|MTWTFSS|
Shift - 1  AB33333 |33AB111  |1111AB2 |22222AB|ARRRR2B |TTTTTAB | 
Shift - 2  TTTTTAB  |AB33333  |33AB111 |1111AB2|22222AB |ARRRR2B|
Shift - 3  ARRRR2B|TTTTTAB   |AB33333 |33AB111 |1111AB2 |22222AB|
Shift - 4  22222AB |ARRRR2B |TTTTTAB  |AB33333 |33AB111 |1111AB2|
Shift - 5  1111AB2 |22222AB  |ARRRR2B|TTTTTAB  |AB33333 |33AB111|
Shift - 6  33AB111 |1111AB2  |22222AB |ARRRR2B|TTTTTAB  |AB33333|

BTW, the math isn't new.  It has been established long ago that you need a certain number of employees for each position to cover vacations, personal days, etc..  If you are covering 7 days a week, the factor is 1.7.  So, add it up.  You have 1 SM per shift.  There are three shifts per day   So, there are 3 SM's total per day.  3x1.7 = 5.1 Rounding off and adding 1 for Training means that you need at least 6 full shifts  to cover the week. 

For 12 hour shifts the math is the same.  You just have 2 shifts per day instead of 3.  So, the minimum number of shifts goes from 6 to 4.4.  Practically speaking, since you can't hire 0.4 shift managers, you really need 5 or there will be schedule problems.

Bottom line:  12's are better for everybody.

« Last Edit: Sep 02, 2010, 01:56 by BeerCourt »
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline drnuke

• Very Lite User
« Reply #7 on: Sep 02, 2010, 07:21 »
Short-sightedness usually wins.  A 12-hour shift schedule invariably requires scheduled OT.  Averaging weeks is not legal for non-exempt employees in the private sector.  So, somebody somewhere is going to have to work more than 40 hours in a week to cover a 12 hour rotation.

But an 8 hour rotation simply cannot be done with fewer than six shifts.  You can write one on paper that uses five shifts without overtime, but it won't work in the real world.  You need six at least.

Naturally, a little built-in OT is much cheaper than increasing your full-time workforce by 20%.  BUT, OT gets tracked and managers get hammered for it, while a bloated staff on straight time doesn't draw the same negative attention.

Here's a sample of an 8 hour rotation that assumes no scheduled overtime, and a pay week of Mon-Sun.  If your pay week is different, you can adjust by starting your pay week where I have Monday.
Legend: 1=midnight to 8 am, 2 = 8 am to 4 pm, 3 = 4pm to midnight, A = first rest day (an off day that pays time and a half if you work it) B= second rest day (an off day that pays double time if you work) R=Relief shift(any shift may be worked that day, or work on days but not part of op shift) T= Training (which would be nice if you did 4-10's that week to get a 5 day weekend before starting the shift rotation)

Day         MTWTFSS|MTWTFSS|MTWTFSS|MTWTFSS|MTWTFSS|MTWTFSS|
Shift - 1  AB33333 |33AB111  |1111AB2 |22222AB|ARRRR2B |TTTTTAB | 
Shift - 2  TTTTTAB  |AB33333  |33AB111 |1111AB2|22222AB |ARRRR2B|
Shift - 3  ARRRR2B|TTTTTAB   |AB33333 |33AB111 |1111AB2 |22222AB|
Shift - 4  22222AB |ARRRR2B |TTTTTAB  |AB33333 |33AB111 |1111AB2|
Shift - 5  1111AB2 |22222AB  |ARRRR2B|TTTTTAB  |AB33333 |33AB111|
Shift - 6  33AB111 |1111AB2  |22222AB |ARRRR2B|TTTTTAB  |AB33333|

BTW, the math isn't new.  It has been established long ago that you need a certain number of employees for each position to cover vacations, personal days, etc..  If you are covering 7 days a week, the factor is 1.7.  So, add it up.  You have 1 SM per shift.  There are three shifts per day   So, there are 3 SM's total per day.  3x1.7 = 5.1 Rounding off and adding 1 for Training means that you need at least 6 full shifts  to cover the week. 

For 12 hour shifts the math is the same.  You just have 2 shifts per day instead of 3.  So, the minimum number of shifts goes from 6 to 4.4.  Practically speaking, since you can't hire 0.4 shift managers, you really need 5 or there will be schedule problems.

Bottom line:  12's are better for everybody.

Thanks for the example. You said 8s w/ no scheduled OT can't be done with less than 6 crews. What about with scheduled OT, could it work with 5 crews?

Offline bdhoe

• Light User
  • Retreating is always an option...
« Reply #8 on: Sep 02, 2010, 11:23 »
As a NLO as well, why would you even vote on getting off 12's? you get OT on all 4 days in a row..sure some pay checks are lighter and some are fatter..just learn to budget..my rotation is slightly diffrent but pretty much work 18 days out of 35..cant beat it..plus covering people for OT gotta love that and holidays(which would cost the company more in the end if 3 shifts had them.. 8))
« Last Edit: Sep 02, 2010, 11:27 by bdhoe »
I think maybe I shouldn't have taken the blue pill after all...damn...

Sun Dog

« Reply #9 on: Sep 03, 2010, 06:25 »
For jobs that require a 24/7 presence I always like the 6/9 (that is 6 days on and 3 days off working 8's)schedule the best.  Working 8's for 6 on is nothing, 3 off in a row is really nice!  Compared to a standard 40 hr/week schedule (5/8 or 4/10) we got an extra 24 hours off about every 2 months.
« Last Edit: Sep 03, 2010, 06:32 by Sun Dog »

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #10 on: Sep 03, 2010, 10:43 »
Thanks for the example. You said 8s w/ no scheduled OT can't be done with less than 6 crews. What about with scheduled OT, could it work with 5 crews?

Yes,
Take out the Relief Week.  Work the Saturday Dayshift on OT during Dayshift week.  Work the Training Week as 4-10's starting on Tuesday.  This leaves you with nobody to cover for vacations, etc. other than people swapping shifts or working them during training.
While this is possible, it isn't practical.  You aren't actually covering a three-shift schedule.  You are covering a three-shift-plus-training schedule.
Remember also that weekends are at the end of the week for a reason.  Having two days off every week is not the same thing as weekends off.  With six crews, you only get two full weekends off out of six.  You get part of a weekend two out of six weeks.  If you go to five crews, it gets worse.  If you work shifts you know that a long weekend is not such a great deal if most or all of your days off are during the week.  Can't take the kids on a trip if they are in school while you have a long "weekend".  You can't get your family to have their reunion on Wednesday to accommodate your work schedule.
If you go on 8's you are going to have to work 3 Saturdays and 3 Sundays every rotation.  Do you really want to go from working half of them to 60% of them?  Your life will suck.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
« Reply #11 on: Sep 03, 2010, 01:05 »

Man I SO WISH we were coming off our (4) Days going into long change.....instead we come off our (4) Nights and it ruins the first 3 days of long change.
"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

Irish_Wertzy

« Reply #12 on: Sep 03, 2010, 10:34 »
Bonds-

Which site is that for?

I just completed the BMST, Interview and Assessment Center for a possible SRO job at Peach Bottom, and am trying to figure out what the shift rotation would look like.

Seems very similar to what they mentioned.

If any PB SRO's on here, is this what you do?

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #13 on: Sep 04, 2010, 02:42 »
Pretty sure Peach is on 12s...

Irish_Wertzy

« Reply #14 on: Sep 04, 2010, 09:49 »
In the training week, is it also 12's? or do they shift to 10's?

Just curious, not worried about the number of total hours, just trying to figure how to explain it to the wife.

499tarheel

« Reply #15 on: Sep 04, 2010, 09:59 »
Usually 4 x 10's.

Some places do 5 x 8's.
5 x 8's suck.  ;D

mwdavis

« Reply #16 on: Oct 07, 2010, 04:51 »
For the plants on 12's what are the usual shift change times? The plant I'm at now goes 6:00 to 6:00. I've done 12 to 12 and that isn't a lot of fun.
« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2010, 04:52 by mwdavis »

Offline Bleyse

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #17 on: Oct 07, 2010, 06:15 »
At WBN we swap at 7. 

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #18 on: Oct 07, 2010, 11:11 »
Bonds-

Which site is that for?

I just completed the BMST, Interview and Assessment Center for a possible SRO job at Peach Bottom, and am trying to figure out what the shift rotation would look like.

Seems very similar to what they mentioned.

If any PB SRO's on here, is this what you do?

Columbia Generating Station in Washington State.....and Im an HP, but Operations follow the same schedule.

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #19 on: Oct 07, 2010, 11:19 »
For the plants on 12's what are the usual shift change times? The plant I'm at now goes 6:00 to 6:00. I've done 12 to 12 and that isn't a lot of fun.

We work 6 to 6....and yeah, getting up at 3:50am for work is pretty tough. :'(

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #20 on: Oct 07, 2010, 11:44 »

But luckily traffic is never backed up on the 240 ;)

mwdavis

« Reply #21 on: Oct 08, 2010, 02:35 »
But the 7 off makes up for it.

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #22 on: Oct 12, 2010, 05:29 »
But luckily traffic is never backed up on the 240 ;)

Very true.....our Dayshift guys work 6am-4pm and getting out at 4pm is pretty bad but doesnt compare to getting out at 430pm.  That extra 30 min makes for a 30-45 min longer ride home.  Im also convinced the majority of drivers out here believe the fast lane is actually the slow lane....nothing gets my blood flowing like vehicles in the fast lane (real) going 54 mph  >:(

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #23 on: Oct 12, 2010, 05:31 »
But the 7 off makes up for it.

Also working 26 days out of 42 makes up for it  :P

Fermi2

« Reply #24 on: Oct 12, 2010, 11:56 »
Very true.....our Dayshift guys work 6am-4pm and getting out at 4pm is pretty bad but doesnt compare to getting out at 430pm.  That extra 30 min makes for a 30-45 min longer ride home.  Im also convinced the majority of drivers out here believe the fast lane is actually the slow lane....nothing gets my blood flowing like vehicles in the fast lane (real) going 54 mph  >:(

In my world the speed limit is the low deck!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?