Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Facing Civilian life after being administrative separation

Author Topic: Facing Civilian life after being administrative separation  (Read 10057 times)

Offline Warmonger711

• Very Lite User
3 months ago i was a senior electrician on a boat, sitting SRO, P/S and made a massive lapse in judgment inside the box and got caught for something that i been told in the civilian side of the house for watchstanding is not an issue. Now I'm waiting for a Forced Rate conversion to take effect, I have been told that if it doesn't occur I could be looking at civilian life earlier than expected. Is there redemption if one is tossed out with an administrative separation or Other than Honorable circumstances in the civilian side of Nuclear power?

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
Are you sure you are looking at Other than Honorable for a watchstanding violation? That seems a bit extreme.
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Fermi2

I want to know what he did that he believes would be tolerated in the civilian world...

Offline NHSparky

• Light User
Oh, ya gotta love these ambiguous, "Am I really screwed?" statements.
Also available in SOBER!

shocker

To avoid bringing a year old topic back to life - in a situation such as the Truman scandal, or similar, how would you advise a future nuke handle the problem?

Specifically if you were on a sub, underway, and the immediate chain of command supported actions that threatened integrity, how could a lowly E-4/5 keep their nose clean while avoiding living hell during that deployment or future deployments by being labeled a snitch?

The link to the cheating topic really got me thinking as to how to handle a situation.  While I would like to think I could simply "act" like I was cheating by studying and passing the tests anyway, if the tests were on information not presented or something along those lines I can think of no other option than failing and being brought to mast or other measures.

Perhaps a discussion of potential actions for the "Future Sailors" could help avoid career ending mistakes in the future.

co60slr

To avoid bringing a year old topic back to life - in a situation such as the Truman scandal, or similar, how would you advise a future nuke handle the problem?

Specifically if you were on a sub, underway, and the immediate chain of command supported actions that threatened integrity, how could a lowly E-4/5 keep their nose clean while avoiding living hell during that deployment or future deployments by being labeled a snitch?

The link to the cheating topic really got me thinking as to how to handle a situation.  While I would like to think I could simply "act" like I was cheating by studying and passing the tests anyway, if the tests were on information not presented or something along those lines I can think of no other option than failing and being brought to mast or other measures.

Perhaps a discussion of potential actions for the "Future Sailors" could help avoid career ending mistakes in the future.
First, we don't know what the OP's problem really is...other than he was fired.  He'll have to deal with what his DD-214 says after his potential future employers read it, what his security background reveals, and what his references maybe say about him.  No one here can tell you what all the nuclear/non-nuclear ex-Navy nuke employers will do with one in the vague case above.

Second, the punishment for significant lapses in integrity are fairly "nuclear universal".  There was nothing to "discuss" with the Truman, or any other public event.  You intentionally skirt the rules as a nuclear and you're a non-nuclear.   Simple.

Finally, study.  You study to get qualified/licensed, you have to study for requal/continuous training exams, you have to study for your next bigger qualification (e.g., EWS).  You have to know your plant.   The Boat/Ships that TRY to game the system usually get caught by ORSE grades.  So, before policing what you "think" might be going on around you, just make sure that if you're questioned YOU can say that YOU did the right thing.   I've never seen anyone fired from the Navy for failing a continuous training exam.   If you feel strongly that someone is going on wrong around you...there is ALWAYS a way to make your point heard to the right person...even anonymously.

Good luck.

IPREGEN

If you don't know what to do you have a problem. Short of being hypnotized you will be able to know the difference between  right and wrong.

shocker

Eh maybe I got a little carried away with how big the problem may be.  From reading the other posts about these kinds of problems I began thinking it would be a shipwide problem.  I have a habit of always going to a worst-case scenario when I think about things as to how I would handle that situation if it ever came about...

IPREGEN

Maybe you thought of the Caine Mutiny or Mutiny on the Bounty or maybe just Lord of the Flies.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?