Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu TECH Test for Radiation Protection Position.

Author Topic: TECH Test for Radiation Protection Position.  (Read 20168 times)

lzap

TECH Test for Radiation Protection Position.
« on: Sep 01, 2010, 12:56 »
I have a TECH Test to take on tuesday with PSEG at the Salem Nuclear Plant. It's for a Radiation Protection Position. Can anyone tell me what I should be studying for this test? I also have no nuclear or experience with any radiation, is there information anyone can share about this position to help me?

lzap

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
Re: TECH Test for Radiation Protection Position.
« Reply #1 on: Sep 01, 2010, 01:06 »
I have a TECH Test to take on tuesday with PSEG at the Salem Nuclear Plant. It's for a Radiation Protection Position. Can anyone tell me what I should be studying for this test? I also have no nuclear or experience with any radiation, is there information anyone can share about this position to help me?

lzap

Look here for info:
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/board,250.0.html

The TECH is another standardized test like POSS or MASS.  Do a bunch of practice tests to get in 'test-mode'.  The utility probably gave you a link to the EEI site?  Do that practice test...and then go get an ASVAB study guide for more tests in the pertinent areas.

Don't worry about not knowing anything about radiation.   They won't test you on that if it's a trainee position.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: Sep 01, 2010, 07:31 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

mostlyharmless

« Reply #2 on: Sep 01, 2010, 02:29 »
You may be taking a basic comprehension tests. It will be timed and you will need to answer as much as possible. What I remember,if you take something similar to what I had to, is simple math,but timed, and reading comprehension,a passage and questions.The difficulty was that it was timed, so you really have to zip. There were other math and science based sections, all basic, but all timed. Looks like Uncle has you lined up for practice,so practice like a mad b@@@@@d . Good luck.

twinturbo427

« Reply #3 on: Sep 01, 2010, 04:40 »
I asked the same question a few months ago and the answer is study and familiarize.  Study the math, and familiarize yourself to the format of the test.  Do not make the mistake of doing the practice tests solely on the computer.  Instead, print the practice tests and time yourself taking them.  The only surprise to me was the amount of graphing on the poss/mass, but you will be taking the tech, a different version. 

The other things to remember that are not on the practice test;  get plenty of sleep the night before, eat something to carry you through the hours of testing, and leave your cellphone in the car.  :)

Good luck!

mostlyharmless

« Reply #4 on: Sep 01, 2010, 07:14 »
There were several types of graphs including logarithm graphs. To print the test is great advice. I went into it cold, did not know I would be tested and was sweating bullets. Make it easy on yourself and prepare. I wish I had the same advice.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #5 on: Sep 01, 2010, 07:38 »
I've never taken the TECH (although I've taken other EEI tests), so went to see what was on it.  Looks like:

Graphic Problem Solving, Interpreting Diagrams, Mechanical Concepts, and Reasoning from Rules

If you weren't supplied with a link to practice tests, try:
http://www2.eei.org/practicetests/

Use 'progress' as name and 'practice' as password.
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

lzap

« Reply #6 on: Sep 02, 2010, 12:29 »
Thank you everyone. I have been taking the practice test, but I didn't want to keep retaking the same tests supplied by EEI. I have taken and passed the POSS/MASS almost two years ago. However the Tech test is different. I will fallow everyone's advise, including taking some ASVAB tests and getting plenty of practice. Thank you so much guys,.... wish me luck.

Offline retread

• Old, fat meter reader
  • Heavy User
  • Every day above ground is a good one
« Reply #7 on: Sep 02, 2010, 09:18 »
I don't think I could be more proud of being a member of this site!  The advice given shows how much those of us with experience can offer.  Being that we do offer, shows what a great group Mike has assembled.   [GH] [GH]
In dwelling, be close to the land.
In meditation, go deep in the heart.
In dealing with others, be patient and kind.
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.
In business, be competent.

kbaxendale

« Reply #8 on: Sep 04, 2010, 05:49 »
I too am taking the test but I was informed yesterday that it will be adminiastered by phone. Does anyone know how that works?

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #9 on: Sep 07, 2010, 08:53 »
I too am taking the test but I was informed yesterday that it will be adminiastered by phone. Does anyone know how that works?

Are you sure you are not the victim of a practical joke? I can't imagine how that could work.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

stownsend

« Reply #10 on: Sep 07, 2010, 01:28 »
Hope they don't need a proctor for the test.
« Last Edit: Sep 07, 2010, 01:29 by stownsend »

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Sep 07, 2010, 02:30 »
Now you see to me that is not the hard part 'cause all they have to do is send me a booklet in the mail before the exam,....

What's that?!?

...Test integrity you say?!?

.......Integrity shmegrity, no one is gonna compromise integrity, what kind of person would do a thing like that?!?

..............Hey!, you setup a little icam thingamabob on your computer, you tear open the exam package in full view of the proctor's icam thingamabob and it's all so simple,....

But, back to kbaxendale, I am curious as to how this all works out for taking the TECH by telephone, please keep us posted, sincerely. Don't let our back & forth with Sun Dog deter you, inquiring minds want to know.

Actually, I did think of doing it that way... but then you don't need the phone... just someone with some of that integrity stuff you were talking about. The instructor in me doesn't quite feel right with that (and the NANTeL proctor in me hates it!)

I, too, am curious and would like to know how they plan to do it.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

kbaxendale

« Reply #12 on: Sep 07, 2010, 06:14 »
yes I am being proctored. They are sending me to one of the plants they own near San Antonio. So I will have someone there watching me while another person is on the phone asking me questions is what I am guessing.  I am hoping they will have a copy of the test there and she will just expect me to give her my answers by phone. I am not really sure at all what is going to happen tomorrow but i know i am prepared for it as much as I can be. I guess I will let you all know the outcome and post on here how they had it set up so if anyone else is put in this situation they know what to expect.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: Sep 08, 2010, 08:28 »
OK, so they are not administering a test by phone, just reporting the results by phone. Much better.
« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2010, 09:57 by RDTroja »

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

Dwayne

« Reply #14 on: Sep 08, 2010, 04:58 »
Dang a test by phone!!!   would love to take that test!!

kbaxendale

« Reply #15 on: Sep 08, 2010, 06:55 »
This is how it went.....met the lady i was told to meet, she put me at the desk of someone who was out for the day,called the lady in Jersey left me in the office and shut the door behind her...... The lady from Jersey stayed on speaker phone with me the entire time, her role in all of this was to read me the directions from all the individual test sections and time me.  So next time someone goes through this they wont go in not knowing what to expect..........

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #16 on: Nov 29, 2010, 03:13 »
Gotta say, if you had to cheat on the TECH test... GTFO! lol. It was infinitely easier then the POSS or the MASS.  Passed all 3 fwiw.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #17 on: Nov 29, 2010, 03:16 »
Gotta say, if you had to cheat on the TECH test... GTFO! lol. It was infinitely easier then the POSS or the MASS.  Passed all 3 fwiw.

For which plant(s)?

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #18 on: Nov 29, 2010, 03:18 »
For which plant(s)?

Not comfortable disclosing my applications to people that openly hate me. If you wish to have a real conversation, please PM me.  edit : sent you a pm.
« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2010, 03:25 by Charlie Murphy »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?