Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu BOOT CAMP, AS OF JULY 7-SEPTEMBER 2, 2010.

Author Topic: BOOT CAMP, AS OF JULY 7-SEPTEMBER 2, 2010.  (Read 14685 times)

PotentialNuke

BOOT CAMP, AS OF JULY 7-SEPTEMBER 2, 2010.
« on: Sep 10, 2010, 03:00 »
You will get off at O'Hare in Chicago. From there you go the USO office and wait for a representative of RTC to arrange for you to get on the bus to boot camp. When you get on the bus to boot, it is approximately a 40 minute drive to RTC and during the commute you will be shown a video about boot camp. When you arrive at RTC, you are instructed to get off of the bus, and if you were lucky like I was, nobody was waiting to yell at us. We literally were instructed to get off of the bus and go inside. Most people had a few RDCs ready to yell at them, so you may not be as fortunate as our group. You will go inside, be instructed to throw away a lot of items like gum, garbage, so on and so forth. Next, or eventually I should say, you will perform a urinalysis.
After that, you go to Ditty Bag issue where you receive your sea bag and most items that pertain to your hygiene. You will NOT be given Q-tips or their generic equivalent, and you will NOT be allowed to buy them while at boot camp. Your ears WILL get disgusting, so try your best to keep them clean from day 1. You will be given the options to donate your civilian clothes and other items to charity, or to send them home. When Ditty Bag issue is all said and done, and clothing/unallowable items shipped home, you will be looking at a fee of roughly $600. By the way, do not talk during this time, or pretty much any other time during boot unless you have a question or are instructed to talk, or are allowed to talk. You will save YOURSELF a lot of problems.
Eventually during the next day (no sleep) you will receive your hair cuts, stand facing a bulkhead (wall) with your Recruit Training guide open "studying" for test 1. You will not sleep for almost 2 days, and your patience with fellow recruits will be limited. Try not to be the guy who complains about the crappy situations all the time. It gets old. As far as job distribution amongst the division goes, you may volunteer for most positions, but there is the possibility that you will be voluntold to perform one of these tasks. Here is a list with the most scrutinized positions within the division:
Master at Arms: In charge of keeping the division quiet. Typically yell A LOT, and may even get in trouble for not yelling enough. Ours got in trouble once for not yelling enough. He yelled more after that. Also in charge of keeping deadlines, such as, recruits have 15 minutes to hygiene, get on the toe line, etc.
STARBOARD WATCH= I slept next to him. This is probably the worst job within the division. He is in charge of keeping the deck logs on spot. While at RTC, you will stand watches, which means typically about 2.5-4 hours of your time will be utilized keeping watch, saluting all individuals above the rank of E-3 whilst sounding off a phrase, possibly phrases, and logging things that take place within the division, like division departed for chow, head off spot do to such and such, so on and so forth. Items entered into the deck log have to be perfect, i.e., periods, recruit handwriting, correctly crossing out mistakes, etc. STARBOARD WATCH typically gets in trouble for this, at all times of the day or night mind you. He or she is woken up constantly, ITE'd (intensive training exercises), which are typically 8 count body builders, mountain climbers, the works. He/she will be very tired the first few weeks of boot, and probably cry more than once. But, when STARBOARD WATCH gets sick of people messing up the deck log and realizes he/she writes the watch bill, said people will be standing the worst watches all the time, possibly. This may not mean much now, but on Holiday Routine (Sundays) when you need your time to get your uniforms up to standards and or want to write letters, you might be spending 4 hours of the 6 allocated for such things standing watch. Don't frustrate STARBOARD WATCH.
RCPO= Is actually pronounce arpock, but the acronym is Recruit Chief Petty Officer. This person is in charge of the movement of the division while it is marching, and is pretty much the most scrutinized recruit. A lot of pressure is put on them because they have a lot of things to learn, and if they don't, they either get replaced or just yelled at a lot, possibly ITE'd. Not as much as STARBOARD WATCH though.
AROC= Don't know if the acronym is even in the correct arrangement, but it is pronounced like ayerock. This person is in charge of singing cadence. A good AROC is amazing. About 3 times at boot did I hear AROC's that were just beautiful to listen to. They either had great voices, creativity, sometimes both, but when you hear these people do cadence, you may get out of step listening to them because you probably wont be paying attention to your cadence. This person is scrutinized quite a bit as well, roughly the equivalent of the RCPO.
Section leaders= All of the aforementioned positions might fall under this clause, but for the most part section leaders exist for all primary duties to keep the division functional, whether it be for laundry, cleanliness of compartment, head (bathroom), mail, all of that.
Yeoman= Call muster and keep track of hard cards. A hard card is something that is documented when successfully/unsuccessfully complete an evolution or when a good or bad deed has been incurred by an individual. Yeoman need to be responsible not just for the materials they physically carry around them in a pouch, but because they are also in charge of getting people to appointments and things of that sort. Secretary, pretty much.

First literal week is known as P-days (processing days) and can last for up to 2 weeks, but is usually 1. During this time you will not be physically punished because they are waiting to see if you are medically cleared to be Fit for Full Duty (FFD) or commonly just called Fit for Full. Once you are fit for full, you will be punished physically. I think our first official week on a Saturday we were ITE'd for about 2.5 hours. The ground will become very slick with sweat, so be careful doing the exercises lest you become injured. Words to fear the most at boot camp will be ITE, ASMO, and female. ITE, potential to get hurt during this. ASMO, you get sent back in training usually a minimum of 2 weeks. Female, for males, do not touch them, do not really talk to them. If your name and a female's name are mentioned in the same sentence, you are probably in deep trouble. ASMO trouble more than likely.
Usually around week 3 or 4 your division will start to perform well together. Do not be the person/people who always feel they have an inspirational Band of Brothers moment to give to the division, because you are not at boot to love the people you are with. You are there to make it through and get on to the respective occupation you chose within the Navy. Get along with them and make things easier for the division. If you do make friends within the division, good on you. But the hardest thing in boot camp is putting up with the recruits within your division. All of them are "tough", all will talk crap, and most will get you in trouble if you give them the fuel to do so, i.e. cuss at them or do not do something correctly. You will get ratted out by people when the division is threatened with ITE.Even if someone thinks they saw you do something, they will rat you out. Don't be the rat.
Weeks 3 and 4 things become interesting. You will learn in week 3 about basic line handling and seamanship, week 4 you will shoot the m9 9 millimeter pistol and Mossberg 12 gauge shotgun. Week 5 is the gas chamber. Do not be the person/people who act like they are dying when they haven't even removed the mask. Laugh at the people who end up with spiderwebs between their fingers from the mucus that has secreted from their nostrils and mouth.
Week 6 will be Damage Control and Fire Fighting. PAY attention in these classes. This is some of the most important information you will receive at boot. If you feel tired during these classes, stand up. If people around you start to nod off, tell them to stand up. If you fall asleep in some classes, you may get kicked out of them, and some of these classes are MANDATORY. If you miss MANDATORY classes/events, you WILL get ASMO'd.
Battle stations is usually week 7. All I will say about Battle Stations is that you had better pay attention during Damage Control and Fire Fighting, and to remember that EVERYBODY is tired as well.
You will have a graduation rehearsal, then graduation the following day, possibly liberty after. If you are going to the base located right next to RTC, you will have an hour of liberty AT RTC before going to that base. When you get to that base, you will usually receive more liberty. You may be flying out to Pensacola the day after graduation. For nukes, we flew out 2 days after graduation.

HELPFUL HINTS= Do not talk in the P-ways or the galley. Our RCPO was caught talking by another RDC in like week 3. We didn't think he would get in trouble because boot was almost halfway over, but he was removed from this position and other recruits tried out to replace him, and 1 did.
Study for your tests, don't just look at your manual. I just looked at my manual most of the time, still passed, but on test 3 I earned a 3.21 on the final test. 3.2 is failing. A lot of the people you think are "dumb" will outscore you if you do not study. Plenty of "dumb" kids did VERY well on those tests.
Mind your own business, and try to avoid forming large groups.
Be able to pass the PFA before going to boot camp.
KNOW YOUR GENERAL ORDERS, CHAIN OF COMMAND, RANK AND RECOGNITION, AND SAILOR'S CREED PRIOR TO BOOT CAMP.

Good luck,
FN BOROTA

Offline Estis

• Light User
Re: BOOT CAMP, AS OF JULY 7-SEPTEMBER 2, 2010.
« Reply #1 on: Sep 10, 2010, 03:43 »
Good post, thanks for the information. I will definitely go back to re-read this before I leave. Can you elaborate on what the typical daily schedule is like? I have a rough idea about it from other posts on this forum/recruit stories about boot, but an updated impression would be nice.

Ex.

0500 - Wake up
0530 - Breakfast
0600 - PT
0800 - Class
etc.

Note: I am currently a NUB, therefore, take all answers/replies/opinions with the grain of salt it deserves

PotentialNuke

« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2010, 04:38 »
Usually 0600 is reveille.
07 something to 08 something is usually breakfast.
08 something to 11 something might be studying/RTC instruction.
11 to 12 lunch. 12 to whatever designated times might be reserved for studying, ITE or whatever. Some ITEs are scheduled, so no matter how well behaved the division is, you will still get it.
PT for our division was either around 16 something or 17 something. After PT, you will either hygiene or go to dinner.
1800 to 21 might be more studying, an ITE session, RDC instruction, whatever.
2100 or 2155 is evening routine, which is usually passing out laundry and folding/stowing said laundry. Also another opportunity to get ITE'd if people aren't being quiet.
When you start doing the more significant events in boot, you might be going to them in the morning until around 12. Battle Stations starts at around 2030 or 2100. But ya, good luck, it's a machine there, so if you fail to do something right, your RDCs probably wont care because whether or not you stay in the division is up to you for the most part. They are there to PUMP out basically trained sailors. Roughly 40,000 recruits/year graduate boot. Do you really think they care if 1 recruit gets set back a week or two, or is ASMO'd out of the Navy? Probably not.

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: Sep 10, 2010, 06:37 »
PotentialNuke great job!

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #4 on: Sep 10, 2010, 06:47 »
PotentialNuke great job!

Just think BZ, for 10 cents a day you could be giving PotentialNuke posikarma like us! ;)

Fermi2

« Reply #5 on: Sep 10, 2010, 06:49 »
LOL I would but as a rule we coddle too many people here.

Offline Jechtm

• Moderate User
« Reply #6 on: Sep 11, 2010, 10:42 »
Where was this when I was about to leave. =/
"Truth is the Daughter of Inspiration;... It is like a finger pointing a way to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory."

~Bruce Lee

cptfarlow

« Reply #7 on: Sep 11, 2010, 08:58 »
Great post. I only have two bits of advice to add:

1. Wake up early. Don't wait for RCPO to start yelling to get up. Wake up 20 minutes early and be prepared. Then you don't have to fight for a sink.

2. Get a bottom bunk! I understand this may not be possible for some people, I was Yeoman. But by getting the bottom bunk you are almost guaranteed to not get your rack inspected (internally). They usually just have all  of the top bunks raise the racks and inspect your folds, placements, etc., while the bottom rack gets the bed inspection. You want the bed inspection. Doing your rack properly is easy, but they can always find a hit if they want.

Most of all, have fun! You'll miss the friends you made while in boot. Hang with people that bring you up, not the guys that are always complaining.

EDIT: Fixed spelling.
« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2010, 08:59 by cptfarlow »

Fermi2

« Reply #8 on: Sep 12, 2010, 11:46 »
Great post. I only have two bits of advice to add:

1. Wake up early. Don't wait for RCPO to start yelling to get up. Wake up 20 minutes early and be prepared. Then you don't have to fight for a sink.

2. Get a bottom bunk! I understand this may not be possible for some people, I was Yeoman. But by getting the bottom bunk you are almost guaranteed to not get your rack inspected (internally). They usually just have all  of the top bunks raise the racks and inspect your folds, placements, etc., while the bottom rack gets the bed inspection. You want the bed inspection. Doing your rack properly is easy, but they can always find a hit if they want.

Most of all, have fun! You'll miss the friends you made while in boot. Hang with people that bring you up, not the guys that are always complaining.

EDIT: Fixed spelling.

I don't agree with #1 but I think #2 is great advice.

Offline NapoleonMikey

• Very Lite User
« Reply #9 on: Sep 12, 2010, 04:41 »
Thanks for this information. A lot of good advice I will be sure to remember when its my turn to leave.

PotentialNuke

« Reply #10 on: Sep 12, 2010, 05:54 »
Thank you Broadzilla and others who donated Karma to my cause. I think it worked, because my cold is going away. ;). I just remember that when I went to boot, I had a lot of esoteric questions I wanted answered prior to going, so hey, I figured that since I haven't classed up and have a decent amount of time on my hands, why not try to answer some specific questions to those going to boot. I begin briefs for classing up tomorrow, so I imagine the week after that I will be starting the actual schooling. I wish to become an ELT, and will utilize the site for information concerning ELT because I have visited, posted on nukeworker.com more than once and realize that most of my questions can be answered by using the search function. (Another helpful hint for people new to this site).
FN BOROTA

jay121

« Reply #11 on: Oct 26, 2010, 02:16 »
Well, sorry to burst the bubble, but just because you do good in boot camp doesn't mean you'll do good the rest of your navy time. 

jowlman

« Reply #12 on: Oct 27, 2010, 12:08 »
I'll add one little piece of advice, while you are going through it. Just remember that Boot Camp is not the Navy. Just think of it as their initiation to let you into their club. Things will change dramatically once you actually make it to the fleet.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #13 on: Oct 27, 2010, 12:23 »
I'll add one little piece of advice, while you are going through it. Just remember that Boot Camp is not the Navy. Just think of it as their initiation to let you into their club. Things will change dramatically once you actually make it to the fleet.

Good point, boot camp is conditioning (brainwashing) for a new recruit who gets his sense of pride (ego) primarily from his personal accomplishments. The Navy wants Sailors who act and think in a specific way and take pride in group accomplishment more than their own (think High School Clique) thats why jocks do so much better there while nerds struggle ( latter to succeed in Nuke school)  [whistle] its better to be both (a Renaissance Man i.e. ELT).
« Last Edit: Oct 27, 2010, 12:31 by Marlin »

30378wby

« Reply #14 on: Nov 07, 2010, 11:52 »
Boot camp should be the easiest task of any in the navy as they are designed to get almost anyone through and tailored to help.  But the amount of help everyone else gives you in a nuclear career will go down from there.  So if boot camp was tough just call it a draw and the USN can let you out if you are earnest enough.

Nuke school will also "help" those who are not making the grade with mandatory hours and other diversions to get someone studying harder.  Prototype slightly less but they are still inclined to drive the herd.  The fleet will be less interested in your personal motivations but will apply mucho unpleasant diversions, "positive motivation through negative reinforcement" if you fail tests or fail to qualify in a timely manner or if you sleeze your quals and then are a brain dead watchstander.  Remember quality counts on knowing your watchstation and all of the equipment.  Commercial nuclear power?  Well, we give you classes, we move you on shift to the plant and we give you a year or so and if you aren't qualified the first watchstation by the 1st or 2nd year (depending on the company and the plant) you are gone.  In commercial you need to be able to motivate yourself---self-starters will go very far, those who are willing and eager to step up, volunteer and stay positive.  In my navy, volunteering was a sure sentence of a lousy job or lousy duty with no reward. 

Offline Fadge

• Light User
« Reply #15 on: Nov 08, 2010, 08:19 »
Good write up. Very interesting read. I need to start studying!

Offline crewjobs_too

• Light User
« Reply #16 on: Nov 11, 2010, 02:38 »
Very informative thanks.

I have a couple of follow up questions on this topic if I may because my son is leaving for boot camp in 4 weeks.

• Assuming you enlisted without the MM guarantee, during which week of boot camp will  you learn that your rating will be MM, EM, or ET?  Is it after Battle Stations?
  • Does the physical screening for nuclear field candidates (and also sub volunteers) occur during boot camp, or does that come later at Goose Creek?

Thanks
« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2010, 02:48 by crewjobs_too »
Dad of a 22 year old ETN.

Samabby

« Reply #17 on: Nov 11, 2010, 02:53 »
    * Assuming you enlisted without the MM guarantee, during which week of boot camp will  you learn that your rating will be MM, EM, or ET?

No guarantee, ever. Last week or so he will be told which one he got.

* Does the physical screening for nuclear field candidates (and also sub volunteers) occur during boot camp, or does that come later at Goose Creek?

At Goose Creek.

Offline DadofMM-ELT

• Light User
« Reply #18 on: Nov 11, 2010, 09:49 »
Greetings crewjobs!

My son PIRs next Friday (11/19). His letters indicate the future nukes met with the nuke Master Chiefs to get their ratings in week 6ish. He says it was pretty cool - everybody else had a big cattle call while the nuke candidates met with the Chiefs in their offices.

Son of DadOfFutureNuke is going to be an MM - the first step to the (apparently) hallowed ELT!

And thanks to those who've gone before - that advice about the bottom bunk was spot on (not to mention about million other bits and pieces he used to make his decisions!)
« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2010, 09:57 by DadofFutureNuke »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?