Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Newly enlisted looking for advises honeypot

Author Topic: Newly enlisted looking for advises  (Read 8420 times)

ntn9720

Newly enlisted looking for advises
« on: Sep 12, 2010, 11:20 »
I'm a 22 yrs old Asian women with US citizen. I'm a newly grad from college with a BS degree in Biomedical engineering (BME), GPA ~3.3, have a hard time looking for a job in the industry. Hiring freeze and all require so many yrs of experiences that I don't have
I just enlisted in the Navy as an avionic technician (AV) E-3, ship out in march 2011. Everything doesn't seem to fit together, a grad with BS in BME vs. Enlisted Navy AV. I'm confused myself too.  I chose the Navy bc I love to travel and I don't want to stuck to a boring civilian job, looking at computer screen all day. I feel that the Navy will bring challenge and make my life more interesting. Is my thinking correct?
Why not the officer program? For some reason, I want to first spend time doing the hand on jobs as an enlisted and later apply for the officer program (more leadership jobs). I feel that without doing the hand on jobs first, I won't be a good officer (especially I'm kind of a shy person, i don't feel like I'm qualify for military leadership just yet). Is my thinking normal or crazy? How hard is it to go from an enlisted to officer after 1-2 yrs? Is my chances higher with my degree?
Ok, now to the job. So I enlisted as an avionic technician, but my recruiter just called me and ask if I want to be an enlisted nuke. My line score is 245 so I need to score at least 50 on the other test (I forgot the name) to be qualify to be in the NUKE program. Should I stick with avionic technician or go for nuke? Which one pay more both in the navy and in civilian world? What are all the extra pay with NUKE? Is it easier to become a AV officer than the nuke officer? Which one is easier to find a job in the civilian world? I'm interesting in both so I'm totally confused right now. Are there many women in the NUKe program? different ethnic?
I know this is a nuke website but do any one know friends that are avionic technicians? I'm interesting to hear from their side of view too.

THanks for taking time to read this post

Fermi2

Re: Newly enlisted looking for advises
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12, 2010, 11:45 »
This is like a long run on sentence interrupted by question marks. Didn't they require English courses at the university where you obtained your degree?

co60slr

« Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2010, 11:54 »
This is like a long run on sentence interrupted by question marks. Didn't they require English courses at the university where you obtained your degree?
And your last post was filled with grammar and spelling errors too.   Fortunately, your postings are such a joke now that hopefully colleges will start briefing their students to ignore the disgruntled flack.

You're famous now.  Congrats on being an example what to not let your ego turn in to.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Sep 12, 2010, 12:19 »
And your last post was filled with grammar and spelling errors too.   Fortunately, your postings are such a joke now that hopefully colleges will start briefing their students to ignore the disgruntled flack.

You're famous now.  Congrats on being an example what to not let your ego turn in to.

Please keep your bickering and in-fighting in the gold member area, or PM's.  Off topic bickering is not encouraged.  A lot of folks have differing opinions.  It doesn't make anyone right or wrong.  It makes us different.

BZ knows that I don't like the negativity, but you know what?  It IS part of life.  There are people like BZ out there.  People will have to accept BZ for who he is, just as people accept Sloglo for who he is.

I suggest that to counter his negativity, you post positive comments, and not more personal attacks. 

Thank you.

I'm going to have to schedule a tolerance class for all of us, myself included.
« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2010, 12:21 by Rennhack »

ntn9720

« Reply #4 on: Sep 12, 2010, 12:34 »
I think I posted this topic in the wrong place. It should be in the Navy nuke section. Can someone please remove it for me?

Offline SA82

• Light User
« Reply #5 on: Sep 12, 2010, 12:49 »
Back on topic:

If your ultimate goal is to become an officer in the navy, then I would concentrate on that. Being a nuke can help a lot for those who do not have a degree. This would be the Seaman to Admiral program. Since you have a degree, you must apply to Officer Candidate School (OCS). Being enlisted, you should focus on getting good evaluations to submit with your package. In my opinion, you would probably stand out more, and get an above average evaluation, as an Avionics technician (since you would probably be one of the smarter ones, considering your major). In the nuke program, there is a lot of competition from smart high school students, college grads, and people with some college classes.

This is a link to the officer program instructions. Chapter 4 is about OCS:

http://doni.daps.dla.mil/Directives/01000%20Military%20Personnel%20Support/01-400%20Promotion%20and%20Advancement%20Programs/1420.%201B.pdf

There are good jobs, as you can tell from this site, for ex-navy nukes. I do not know about aviation techs. However, going navy nuke is a big commitment if you are just looking for a transition job. You will spend a lot of hours at work. It is a minimum of six years. Also, a lot of navy nukes find that they do not like their jobs once they get to the fleet. It is a decision you should take your time with.

t_tarbox

« Reply #6 on: Sep 13, 2010, 06:53 »
This thead should be merged with the identical one started by the OP in Navy: Getting in..

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,25441.msg130107/topicseen.html#new
« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2010, 06:56 by T Tarbox »

co60slr

« Reply #7 on: Sep 13, 2010, 08:29 »
Please keep your bickering and in-fighting in the gold member area, or PM's.  Off topic bickering is not encouraged.  A lot of folks have differing opinions.  It doesn't make anyone right or wrong.  It makes us different.

BZ knows that I don't like the negativity, but you know what?  It IS part of life.  There are people like BZ out there.  People will have to accept BZ for who he is, just as people accept Sloglo for who he is.

I suggest that to counter his negativity, you post positive comments, and not more personal attacks. 
In the absence of effective moderation of personal attacks particularly to Newcomers to Nukerworker.com (ignoring those to me...I'm not going to email/whine to you), I tried a weekend experiment in "if you can't beat 'em, join em".   After all, this is now officially accepted behavior, as you suggest above for Broadzilla.  It appears that some of the more seasoned Forum veterans don't have the "thick skin" that they advise our newcomers to have after they've been slandered.  "That's the way we roll here new guy...suck it up.  Go use the Google function...we're headed back to GM: Poly Sci.  Oh yeah...get qualified NUB".

So, given your public coaching is there any reason why maybe people won't have to accept Co60 and his pet peeve of senior people slandering newcomers asking about our industry?

Separately, I don't care about titles or Karma.   Feel free to reset my Karma to Zero.  I don't need it.   I'm not here for me.

We have a process flaw here with regard to newcomers asking "stupid questions".  I don't think 5 Gold Members need to run out of their GM: Poly Sci wrestling match to go sharpen their claws on a newcomer.  Those forums have moderators that can help (see numerous Marissm posts...he's an expect at quickly finding, cutting, pasting relevent text for people).   Regardless, I'm in favor of the Pre-Kindergarten lesson of "The Golden Rule", which is clearly articulated in your Forum rules.   However, if it's "each man for himself here" in the free-for-all posting, then it's not clear what action is necessary on my part.   Deleting the account seems to be popular.

Another solution would be to not delete inappropriate postings (i.e., censor), but move them out of public domain and to a GM Forum.  For example, GM: Broadzilla.  In fact, you can make him the Moderator of his own Forum.  Perhaps then, the virus attacking other people would either give up, or actually pay you money to be here as many of us have.

r/Co60

Offline Gamecock

• Gold Member
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #8 on: Sep 13, 2010, 08:46 »
This thead should be merged with the identical one started by the OP in Navy: Getting in..

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,25441.msg130107/topicseen.html#new

You're right.  But I can't do it.

GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #9 on: Sep 15, 2010, 10:27 »
In the absence of effective moderation of personal attacks particularly to Newcomers to Nukerworker.com (ignoring those to me...I'm not going to email/whine to you), I tried a weekend experiment in "if you can't beat 'em, join em".   After all, this is now officially accepted behavior, as you suggest above for Broadzilla.  It appears that some of the more seasoned Forum veterans don't have the "thick skin" that they advise our newcomers to have after they've been slandered.  "That's the way we roll here new guy...suck it up.  Go use the Google function...we're headed back to GM: Poly Sci.  Oh yeah...get qualified NUB".

So, given your public coaching is there any reason why maybe people won't have to accept Co60 and his pet peeve of senior people slandering newcomers asking about our industry?

Separately, I don't care about titles or Karma.   Feel free to reset my Karma to Zero.  I don't need it.   I'm not here for me.

We have a process flaw here with regard to newcomers asking "stupid questions".  I don't think 5 Gold Members need to run out of their GM: Poly Sci wrestling match to go sharpen their claws on a newcomer.  Those forums have moderators that can help (see numerous Marissm posts...he's an expect at quickly finding, cutting, pasting relevent text for people).   Regardless, I'm in favor of the Pre-Kindergarten lesson of "The Golden Rule", which is clearly articulated in your Forum rules.   However, if it's "each man for himself here" in the free-for-all posting, then it's not clear what action is necessary on my part.   Deleting the account seems to be popular.

Another solution would be to not delete inappropriate postings (i.e., censor), but move them out of public domain and to a GM Forum.  For example, GM: Broadzilla.  In fact, you can make him the Moderator of his own Forum.  Perhaps then, the virus attacking other people would either give up, or actually pay you money to be here as many of us have.

1.”Effective moderation” – The site users have spoken, that they do not want moderation.  That is what they are getting.
2. Your in-fighting with BZ only serves one purpose, and it’s not your intended purpose.  Your intended purpose is to discredit him, with the desired outcome being that either BZ stops his behavior, or the OP’s ignore him.  Correct?  I agree with you that BZ can be a jackass, or is a jackass.  If you answer an OP’s question, and also add “Oh, by the way, you can ignore BZ, we all do.” I believe your desired outcome will be accomplished.  When you simply start off topic flame wars with BZ, you are no better than he is, and it damages YOUR credibility.

Hey, it’s just a suggestion.  If you two want to throw them on the table and measure them, go for it.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #10 on: Sep 15, 2010, 10:44 »
  If you two want to throw them on the table and measure them, go for it.

Wonder if they are both Irish....

ROFL
 [OT] [oops]
did I say that out loud?

[stir]
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

co60slr

« Reply #11 on: Sep 15, 2010, 12:21 »
1.”Effective moderation” – The site users have spoken, that they do not want moderation.  That is what they are getting.
2. Your in-fighting with BZ only serves one purpose, and it’s not your intended purpose.  Your intended purpose is to discredit him, with the desired outcome being that either BZ stops his behavior, or the OP’s ignore him.  Correct?  I agree with you that BZ can be a jackass, or is a jackass.  If you answer an OP’s question, and also add “Oh, by the way, you can ignore BZ, we all do.” I believe your desired outcome will be accomplished.  When you simply start off topic flame wars with BZ, you are no better than he is, and it damages YOUR credibility.

Hey, it’s just a suggestion.  If you two want to throw them on the table and measure them, go for it.
Nukes are widedly recognized debaters on the most ridiculous of subjects (e.g., GM: Poly Sci).  The debates between BZ and I are lame compared to what Navy Nukes do to each other underway...particularly right around the 1/2-way through deployment phase.  However, they're also good at going out after a deployment, laughing about the "zingers" that got each other, and then buy each other a beer.

If BZ and five other Gold Members want to "thump" a newcomer, than I hope they're as thick-skinned as they claim to be.  However, since I'm convinced that 50-75% of the "newcomers" are just trolls looking for entertainment, that will be considered in my future postings as well.  I think we have some junior "kids" throwing rocks at the Bee's Nest and then running when the hornets come out.  I'm not biting on that too much anymore.

As far as my credibility, I think we all risk professional credibility with our postings (e.g., your reference that two of your Forum members should put their male genitals on the table).   I'll go buy BZ a beer, as he and I have discussed and probably laugh at our online rantings...or so I suspect.   No position or title is above "peer checking"...from MMFN to ADM.   That's the way nuclear power programs work.   Sometimes, our emotions get in the way, and you're right...no one wins. Anyone afraid to challeng, to peer check, or to question what has become the Status Quo is truly at risk of losing professional credibility.

Meanwhile, while I thought for sure my Karma would take a nose dive (including the head-smiter himself), it has taking a sharp rise with many "thank you" PMs.   Go figure.  It appears I'm not alone.   However, my previous post stands...you're dink in smiting me.  I'm not here for thank you's, I'm here as a volunteer.  Given the lessons learned I had from Boot Camp through my transition into the commercial industry, I see many with the same questions that I had.   If you want people to just go Google their questions, then why should anyone come here to begin with?

My credibility is already challenged by being here.  I'm frequently asked why I bother on "DisgruntledNukes.com".  Perhaps people like myself, JustinHemi, and other Nukeworker Newbies thought we could inject some positive energy here.  I know when I first arrived with 0 Karma, I was stuffed back in my "outer circle box".   Meanwhile, the notion that you have a long-standing group of "Nukeworker Dinosaurs" that dominate most discussions is what discourages open thought.  A notion that is VERY contrary to how our industry operates.

Most importantly, I don't know anyone on here enough to credit or discredit them.   Most Nukes pave their destiny through their competence, writing ability, and communication skills.   I can do nothing to help/hurt BZ or any other member.   All the rest of us should do is pay attention to how many public guests, viewers, lurkers are ALSO viewing our postings and consider the broad range of our words.   People are watching/listening.  I know many very senior industry people bop in here from time to time and I'll bet a paycheck we'll NEVER see their name/title in a signature line.

All good.  As the wise Marissm has counseled on several occasions..."Lighten up.  It's just a website".

Co58

co60slr

« Reply #12 on: Sep 15, 2010, 12:24 »
Wonder if they are both Irish....

ROFL
 [OT] [oops]
did I say that out loud?

[stir]
As for you, Mr...(lol)...if you want to compare/contrast male endowment versus ethnicity/race, then man-up already and do it.   See you in GM: Bathroom.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #13 on: Sep 15, 2010, 12:34 »
Meanwhile, while I thought for sure my Karma would take a nose dive (including the head-smiter himself), it has taking a sharp rise with many "thank you" PMs.   Go figure.  It appears I'm not alone.   However, my previous post stands...you're dink in smiting me.  I'm not here for thank you's, I'm here as a volunteer

I’m confused about these smites you are talking about.  I just looked at your Karma History, and you have not been smited once.  Since July 28th, you have been applauded 31 times.  So, explain to me what the heck you are talking about.

co60slr

« Reply #14 on: Sep 15, 2010, 12:48 »
I’m confused about these smites you are talking about.  I just looked at your Karma History, and you have not been smited once.  Since July 28th, you have been applauded 31 times.  So, explain to me what the heck you are talking about.

Right.  I'm surprised at the absence of smites considering the coaching I've now received.  Don't you think I'm overdue for some -K;)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #15 on: Sep 15, 2010, 01:05 »
Right.  I'm surprised at the absence of smites considering the coaching I've now received.  Don't you think I'm overdue for some -K;)

Not at all.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?