Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Career change...  

Author Topic: Career change...  (Read 3537 times)

jfwefo

Career change...
« on: Sep 26, 2010, 10:00 »
I am 'retiring' from my current position as a Fire Chief (municipal sector) and seek to enter the nuclear power industry as my next career position.  I am 49 years old and have an MS in Emergency Management, BS in Fire Science, and AS in Law Enforcement.  I have seen nuclear employment postings (Preparedness, Safety, Security, etc...) that match my KSAs; however I have NO experiece in the nuke world. 

Is there a logical path that would help me to enter the nuclear power career path (based on my ksa's) ??

I thank you for your input.

jfw

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
  • Retired Plant Health Physicist CHP, NRRPT
Re: Career change...
« Reply #1 on: Sep 26, 2010, 10:55 »
This may sound kind of trite but APPLY!!!   Most of the areas that you have expertise in don't require detailed nuclear knowledge.  Look at the utilities websites and if you see something that you think you might fit in send a resume. 

There may be specialized firms that provide training to plant firebrigades that may also be a good fit for you.  Emergency Planning is becoming the next big thing now that INPO has taken an interest.  You may be a good fit for those jobs as well. 

Good luck
breath in, breath out, move on----j buffett

Offline Benwah033

• Light User
Re: Career change...
« Reply #2 on: Sep 27, 2010, 10:10 »
I am 'retiring' from my current position as a Fire Chief (municipal sector) and seek to enter the nuclear power industry as my next career position.  I am 49 years old and have an MS in Emergency Management, BS in Fire Science, and AS in Law Enforcement.  I have seen nuclear employment postings (Preparedness, Safety, Security, etc...) that match my KSAs; however I have NO experiece in the nuke world. 

Is there a logical path that would help me to enter the nuclear power career path (based on my ksa's) ??

I thank you for your input.

jfw

Where are you located?  At my plant, our Fire Instructor who is also a safety coordinator is nearing retirement (w/in 6 months) and will be next to impossible to replace due to his 30+ years as a firefighter and multiple years as a past chief.  We have access to the county fire training facility, which was actually built to model firefighting in different areas of a nuclear plant, and perform initial, and quarterly/yearly fire tower requal training.

PM me and we can talk about the location and I can put you in contact with some people if it works out...

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?