Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Looking for information honeypot

Author Topic: Looking for information  (Read 4458 times)

t-ray5887

Looking for information
« on: Oct 02, 2010, 03:35 »
I am looking for information about the South Texas Project. I am a Navy ELT and I have graduated RCTQS. I am a supervisor of the Forward 2 plants on the USS Enterprise. I have been in for 5 years, and I am looking to transfer to prototype soon. My questions involve any information about the STP including hours, prospective salary, work environment and what kind of jobs they have that are close to an ELT's. Is the degree from Thomas Edison worth anything or should I try to get the degree from a different college?

co60slr

Re: Looking for information
« Reply #1 on: Oct 02, 2010, 05:57 »
I am looking for information about the South Texas Project. I am a Navy ELT and I have graduated RCTQS. I am a supervisor of the Forward 2 plants on the USS Enterprise. I have been in for 5 years, and I am looking to transfer to prototype soon. My questions involve any information about the STP including hours, prospective salary, work environment and what kind of jobs they have that are close to an ELT's. Is the degree from Thomas Edison worth anything or should I try to get the degree from a different college?
I'll chime in before you get the "welcoming committee" pointing you to jobs as a janitor and endless threads of people that have asked the same questions before you.   Mine is but one perspective for your consideration and is based soley on the amount of time you have to consider your transition.

Why STP?  (Disclaimer:  I know nothing about STP).  The people that have the most difficulty during their Navy to CIV transition are those that want to live in one specific area.   You may want to cast a wider net for geographical locations and ensure your job search research plan includes various areas you would/would not live in, the profiles of different companies (e.g., Exelon, Southern, Entergy, TVA, etc). 

If you're a supervisor of the Forward 2 plants, then you're a PPWS?   Be careful of the terminology you use to ensure it's not overly inflated.   A large percentage of people in commercial nuclear started out in the Navy and are fully aware of the difference between the ELT assigned to a S/G, Plant ELT, LELT on a Sub, EWS, PPWS, EOOW, etc.   "Supervisor" means EOOW/EWS/PPWS.   

Yes, the TESC degree is valuable...depending on your career goals.  (Again, tons of information in the basement of Nukeworker here).   It's a non-ABET technology degree...not an engineering degree.   Yes, it is a "4-year technical degree" though.   It will get you a technical job that requires a degree and it'll get you into grad school to continue your education.   Excelsior is an ABET degree and is also popular, but requires a few more lab hours (hence, the ABET label).   If you want to design reactors, go to PSU and get a BSNE on the Navy College Fund.   My short answer:  do something!

At prototype, qualify EOOW, get your MTS, etc.   

You have time!   Use your last 3-4 years to your advantage.   Unlike the other people with 3 months to EAOS, you can start writing your resume now.   What do you want it to say?

Dive into the archives here and start networking with people.   You're on the right track.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #2 on: Oct 02, 2010, 06:43 »

I worked STP during startup, so any info I could give you would be dated, but can say that it was the second best job I've ever had...wish it had been closer to home...

I'm sure you have already looked through these STP-related threads?
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/board,242.0.html

As far as ELT-related jobs, STP had seperate chemistry & RP departments (and I think they still do), so either would be an option.  Or, you could probably get on in ops or maintenance....either of which would give you more mobility if you decided to get out of nuclear at a future date.

Again, I'm sure you have already been to these post-navy threads?
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/board,68.0.html
« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2010, 08:13 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

t-ray5887

« Reply #3 on: Oct 03, 2010, 07:52 »
I guess you're right about STP and limiting my options. I will however only want to work in Texas. On that note, does anyone know about Comanche Peak? How can you get hired as a NLO? Are there anyother entry level positions that I could expect to be eligible for? Maybe RCT or SRCT, Chemistry Tech. I know I am asking a lot of questions. Thanks for any help.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?