Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Ex-nuke wanting a EE B.S. + Eng. Management; waste of time for Nuc. Industry?

Author Topic: Ex-nuke wanting a EE B.S. + Eng. Management; waste of time for Nuc. Industry?  (Read 5324 times)

Offline maltheopia

• Very Lite User
So there I was, a thoroughly average RO. Enlisted right out of high school, ET1, good but not outstanding evals, had a lot of 'petty' collateral duties like Training PO/Rx Damage Control/Etc.. but nothing real leadership-like. To be honest, I feel kind of inadequate compared to most of the people on these boards what with your EOOW quals and your EWS quals and whatever. I got out because I felt like my brain was turning into mush and wanted to become a real engineer. Not saying that being a nuke isn't a real job, but I really didn't like the feeling of reading through wire diagrams or troubleshooting a circuit board and being all 'WTH am I reading--I only know how to do this through tribal knowledge and cookbooking, I don't really KNOW electricity and computing'.

So I applied to the University of Texas Engineering department and got accepted into their EE program. Right now I'm having a ball even though it's been eating up all of my free time. I have about a 3.7 GPA right now and have been in for only a year and a half. I don't know how it happened, but after swearing off nuclear power I was bitten by the nuclear power bug again. I in all seriousness started having dreams about sitting at the panel again and liking it. And even though I loathe to admit it I actually really did enjoy being a RO. I liked doing maintenance, too. I liked my job onboard the ship, I just didn't like doing it for the Navy and I kind of let my bad attitude kept me from doing things like qualifying anything more than RT or taking any leadership position more stringent than 'you're the team leader for a series of XXX-maintenance for the next month. Go.' ; I could've done EWS but I just didn't feel like it, but now I'm starting to regret it.

Short story long, I have been strongly thinking about going back into the nuclear industry again. I was thinking about angling for NLO, but at this point I'd be satisfied with being a janitor and working my way up. Only problem is; I think I'm doing fairly well in college and I'd also like to get my Engineering Management or an MBA while I'm here. But on the other hand, nuclear power industry. If there's a way to fuse these life goals together to have a satisfying career path up to at least SRO I'd like to do that. But moving upwardly mobile in the nuclear power industry comes first--if it comes between becoming a SRO in a reasonable amount of time and kicking ass at the job or getting my master's, I'll choose the former. So I'm starting to feel like I'm wasting my time and I'm thinking that as I complete this semester I should go back to the 'real' world again and try out for some NLO goodness.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2010, 01:27 by maltheopia »

Offline walstib

• Moderate User
  • I hate Monday's
Long term vision, I'd complete the degree first.  Without it you will most likely never move beyond low level management.  There are some exceptions, but very few.  I must say though that you sound to me like a person where the grass is always greener on the other side.  You said you got out because you wanted to become a real engineer - so become one.  Then go back into the Nuke field if you still feel that way.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail -Emerson
If you are going through hell, keep going
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - H S Thompson

co60slr

So there I was, a thoroughly average RO. Enlisted right out of high school, ET1, good but not outstanding evals, had a lot of 'petty' collateral duties like Training PO/Rx Damage Control/Etc.. but nothing real leadership-like. To be honest, I feel kind of inadequate compared to most of the people on these boards what with your EOOW quals and your EWS quals and whatever. I got out because I felt like my brain was turning into mush and wanted to become a real engineer. Not saying that being a nuke isn't a real job, but I really didn't like the feeling of reading through wire diagrams or troubleshooting a circuit board and being all 'WTH am I reading--I only know how to do this through tribal knowledge and cookbooking, I don't really KNOW electricity and computing'.

So I applied to the University of Texas Engineering department and got accepted into their EE program. Right now I'm having a ball even though it's been eating up all of my free time. I have about a 3.7 GPA right now and have been in for only a year and a half. I don't know how it happened, but after swearing off nuclear power I was bitten by the nuclear power bug again. I in all seriousness started having dreams about sitting at the panel again and liking it. And even though I loathe to admit it I actually really did enjoy being a RO. I liked doing maintenance, too. I liked my job onboard the ship, I just didn't like doing it for the Navy and I kind of let my bad attitude kept me from doing things like qualifying anything more than RT or taking any leadership position more stringent than 'you're the team leader for a series of XXX-maintenance for the next month. Go.' ; I could've done EWS but I just didn't feel like it, but now I'm starting to regret it.

Short story long, I have been strongly thinking about going back into the nuclear industry again. I was thinking about angling for NLO, but at this point I'd be satisfied with being a janitor and working my way up. Only problem is; I think I'm doing fairly well in college and I'd also like to get my Engineering Management or an MBA while I'm here. But on the other hand, nuclear power industry. If there's a way to fuse these life goals together to have a satisfying career path up to at least SRO I'd like to do that. But moving upwardly mobile in the nuclear power industry comes first--if it comes between becoming a SRO in a reasonable amount of time and kicking ass at the job or getting my master's, I'll choose the former. So I'm starting to feel like I'm wasting my time and I'm thinking that as I complete this semester I should go back to the 'real' world again and try out for some NLO goodness.

Thoughts?
The commercial nuclear opportunities are only going to get better.   Although, it's not clear in your post why EE (vice ME or NE)...do you see yourself designing circuits or being a Systems Engineer for a specialized control system?   Regardless, having a degree with "Engineering" in the title has you on the correct path.

It sounds like you "half-assed" your Navy tour.  So be it.   However, perhaps it's time to stick to something and be good at it (e.g., 3.7 GPA at UTex).  It sounds like you're on to something.  I doubt you'll be happy going BACK to being a "janitor".  In Commercial, Operations and Maintenance are two separate organizations.  (No after watch PMS for you as an Operator).  They also have "janitors" that wax the Turbine Deck...so, no after watch field days either.   However, as an AUO you occasionally have to wipe up oil; however, the leaks and "operator burdens" are tracked as metrics relative to the station's performance.

MSEM or MBA?  After your BSEE is done, you can jump into Commercial to get your career going again.   At your entry level, I doubt anyone is going to care if you have an MBA or not...especially if you want into Operations.  If you want to get a corporate job in the nuclear business office, then get your MBA, but chances are they want SRO/Commercial experience.   You can always get your MSEM (www.smu.edu) or MBA through another college later.

So, short story wrapped up: 
1)  BSEE (3 more years)
2)  Nuclear Operations (AUO/Engineering to SRO Instant, etc). (2 years of training)
3)  Graduate Degree (once you've learned commercial nuclear).  (2 years of online courses).
4)  More Nuclear Operations.   Maybe Shift Manager.  (5 years later)
5)  Management...Engineering, Operations, Business Office, etc? (5 years later).

How's that for a plan?  I hope others will jump in...it's an interesting crossroad that you're considering, but I think you should ignore it and continue on.   The delayed neutrons will still be there for you when your academics are done and then you can ALWAYS fall back on that solid education.

Co60   

Offline Creeker

• Moderate User
So, you're probably around 26-27 years old, and 3 to 4 years from getting your EE, and I assume that navy is paying for a good chunk of it.  I'd stay the course.  Your degree will only make you more marketable when you get out.  Commercial power isn't going to go away in the next couple of years.. If anything, demand for people with your proven skill set will increase.  You'll be able to enter the field at 30, which probably seems pretty old to you, but in this field, you'll be a relatively young man.  By 32, you'll be a senior NSO.  By 35 an RO.  By 39, an SRO.  By 44 a SM.  That engineering degree will only make you more eligible to shift over to engineering management, if you choose to follow that course.  If it's a money thing, and you can't afford college.. well, that's one thing.  If you're just champing at the bit..  I'd say hang in there, enjoy college.. Maybe work in some internships if you can while finishing your degree..  That degree will help you later on!
Of course, your milage may vary, as they like to say around here.  The above dates are given with the assumption that you're a good operator with your wits about you, and you don't make major mistakes continually while on watch of judgement or a technical nature.
Best of luck,

Bill

Offline maltheopia

• Very Lite User
I must say though that you sound to me like a person where the grass is always greener on the other side.  You said you got out because you wanted to become a real engineer - so become one.  Then go back into the Nuke field if you still feel that way.

You know what, I never really realized that until you pointed that out. Thanks; I have a problem focusing on what I will be doing rather than what I am doing (which probably accounts for my vanilla performance, but whatever) but just hearing it makes me realize it better.

I should be thankful for what I got and focus on excelling NOW rather than later--I feel grateful to get a 'third' chance to excel so to speak and I shan't blow this one.

Fremont

Playing devil's advocate.
As an ex-RO with at least 2 years qual experience, you can go either RO or SRO Instant license. Make money. Hate the job. Go to school part time to finish a degree that won't advance you a bit, unless you want to go STA or Engineering. As an engineer at a nuke, you won't actually engineer anything, you'll babysit surveillances.
Commercial is different from the Nav. Operators operate. Maintenance maintains. Training trains (at least, I flatter myself we do, after 25 years as an instructor). If you like novelty and changing jobs, well, it's possible, but it seems to depend on the utility on how much mobility they will allow you.

Offline tr

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
As an engineer at a nuke, you won't actually engineer anything, you'll babysit surveillances.

Depends on the utility.  Some do a lot of engineering type work (designing modifications, etc.), others farm it all out.  By the time you get out, there may also be some new plant opportunities.  Being an engineer at a plant finishing construction is a great way to get a huge amount of experience in a few years.  You might want to take a few nuclear courses as your technical electives.  That plus your Navy background would set you up well for either the nuclear utilities, the mega-operators like Exelon, or the vendors like Westinghouse.

Offline NukeNTO

• Moderate User
Agree with tr.  I'm an engineer in the modifications group and we do plenty of "real engineering".  Finish up your degree and see what happens, if you don't finish it I think you'd regret it.  I'd advise waiting on the MBA too, get in the field and get some more experience an MBA won't do you any good in an entry level position in engineering or ops. 

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?