Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Preparing for SOIT interview for southern co  

Author Topic: Preparing for SOIT interview for southern co  (Read 20164 times)

bigblackford

Preparing for SOIT interview for southern co
« on: Oct 26, 2010, 08:02 »
I have an interview with southern co next week and was wondering what i could expect such as questions ill be ask Also what questions should ask them.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
Re: Preparing for SOIT interview for southern co
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26, 2010, 09:10 »
I have an interview with southern co next week and was wondering what i could expect such as questions ill be ask Also what questions should ask them.

Here is a start...
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php?topic=3488.0
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php?topic=10882.0
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php?topic=17531.0

:)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

bigblackford

« Reply #2 on: Oct 26, 2010, 09:36 »
Thank You

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: Oct 26, 2010, 11:51 »
I'd advise speaking better English than you write.

tselby

« Reply #4 on: Oct 27, 2010, 12:41 »
Which plant are you interviewing at?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #5 on: Oct 27, 2010, 12:47 »
Just remember that you caint fix a De-graded cornerstone with JBWeld and duct tape! ;)

tselby

« Reply #6 on: Oct 27, 2010, 12:50 »
But a roll of EB silver will patch anything

bigblackford

« Reply #7 on: Oct 27, 2010, 02:35 »
I'd advise speaking better English than you write.
I do speak better english than I write. THe whole typing process is overated when working off of a phone. I can do a lot better when I have the proper equipment. Thank you for the advice.

dtucker89

« Reply #8 on: Oct 28, 2010, 07:27 »
Does anyone know what the difference is between a system operator and a nuclear operator?

-Daniel

MacGyver

« Reply #9 on: Oct 28, 2010, 07:36 »
Does anyone know what the difference is between a system operator and a nuclear operator?

-Daniel

You bet I do.  But, I do believe you shortened the description a bit.  Though to be fair I haven't seen the ad / job posting you refer.

SO - System Operator (aka Aux Operator / aka NLO (Non-Licensed Operator) / aka .... etc.); These are your Non-Licensed Operators.

PO - Plant Operator (aka Licensed Operator / aka Reactor Operator / aka nuclear operator {sic} / aka etc.); These are your Control Room workers that are Licensed and give instructions to the SO's.

SRO - Senior Reactor Operator (aka Th' Dude ... kidding); Is a Licensed Operator / Manager of the RO's and more.

This is the end of our generic play at home definition session.  Tune in and play along next week when Rocky finally witnesses Bullwinkle pulling a rabbit out of the hat.
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2010, 07:41 by MacGyver »

499tarheel

« Reply #10 on: Oct 28, 2010, 08:52 »
I heard that System Operator referenced an Apprentice Electrician  :P
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2010, 08:53 by 499tarheel »

dtucker89

« Reply #11 on: Oct 29, 2010, 05:56 »
Thank you for the reply, MacGyver.

-Daniel

Offline Contract SRO

• Moderate User
« Reply #12 on: Oct 29, 2010, 12:55 »
I heard that System Operator referenced an Apprentice Electrician  :P

In some utilities a System Operator can refer to the operator controlling the grid.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #13 on: Oct 29, 2010, 01:01 »
In some utilities a System Operator can refer to the operator controlling the grid.

As long as they are NERC certified, yes!

fission_frenzy

« Reply #14 on: Oct 29, 2010, 02:11 »
I already interviewed for this and it does refer to a non-licensed operator in which you would seek your license after training and qualifying as SO first.

tselby

« Reply #15 on: Nov 01, 2010, 09:11 »
SOIT,,,,, System operator in training as posted on Southern Company website,,, refers to NLO/NPO positions at all 3 of their plants....

MacGyver

« Reply #16 on: Nov 03, 2010, 07:54 »
SOIT,,,,, System operator in training as posted on Southern Company website,,, refers to NLO/NPO positions at all 3 of their plants....

Pardon me for the inter-ruption but NPO is not a good term here.  In fact it would refer to the NPOIT (Nuclear Plant Operator In Training / i.e. RO - Licensed Operator) position that SNC is offering too.  They refer to RO's as Nuclear Plant Operator's (NPO's), thusly they are a Licensed position Not a NON-Licensed SO position.

I only mention this because SNC is offering Instant NPO positions at ALL three sites.

So to summarize: SOIT is a Non-Licensed operator in training and NPOIT is a Licensed Operator in training.

Back to your regularly programed nub loving posts.

tselby

« Reply #17 on: Nov 03, 2010, 08:14 »
Mac

brings forth a good point he is right on. NPO (ie nuclear plant operator) is a term at least in Southern's point of view as a Reactor Operator (licensed). Some companies like the one I currently work for use NPO as basically an NLO.

The point being ask, and be aware of exactly what the term means if you are going to apply for a position.

tselby

« Reply #18 on: Nov 08, 2010, 09:35 »

This is a success story Ryan was offered the SOIT position at Hatch,,,,,,,,,,, way to go everyone who gave this young man some helpful advice!!

bigblackford

« Reply #19 on: Nov 15, 2010, 09:05 »
Thanks for all your help now i have to go through processing. I have nothing on my criminal history. I got a window tint ticket in 2005 but since then i recieved a doctors excuse for the tint and now when i get a ticket it is dropped when i show the excuse. I have never done drugs, and have a left great impressions on everyone i meet. My health has always been great. So maybe they will let me in, what do yall think.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #20 on: Nov 15, 2010, 09:28 »
Thanks for all your help now i have to go through processing. I have nothing on my criminal history. I got a window tint ticket in 2005 but since then i recieved a doctors excuse for the tint and now when i get a ticket it is dropped when i show the excuse. I have never done drugs, and have a left great impressions on everyone i meet. My health has always been great. So maybe they will let me in, what do yall think.

Your chances should be good! Just remember to be safe, "don't Bob it up!", and to lock your buggy up when not in use ;)

bigblackford

« Reply #21 on: Nov 18, 2010, 08:42 »
I went for processing today. Now i have to wait and see what they decide. Does anyone know how long this process usually take? The doctor told me everything was ok some was good and some was ok.My bloodwork will be in tomorrow so then it will be up to the psych and security. Anybody that doesnt mind sharig some information will be greatly appreciated.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #22 on: Nov 18, 2010, 09:32 »
Don't sweat the in-processing... unless you are a psychopath.

bigblackford

« Reply #23 on: Nov 18, 2010, 09:35 »
Don't sweat the in-processing... unless you are a psychopath.
No worries there thanks for the info I wonder if they will hold my weight against me im 6'2 340 lbs I am not really fat just solid with a little gut

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #24 on: Nov 18, 2010, 09:50 »
Nope. :) Not unless you are going to drop dead at any minute.

bigblackford

« Reply #25 on: Dec 07, 2010, 09:28 »
Thursday will be three weeks since i went for in-processing, now i am waiting on the the background check to come back. I know they have contacted my current and former employers and and also some of the references. I know that everything should be good but the anticipation is killing me  [BH]

jwhite

« Reply #26 on: Dec 08, 2010, 01:00 »
Don't sweat it. On mine, they asked my references for more references. If you have made it this far, it shouldn't be a problem unless you rob or murder someone for drugs in the next few days.

bigblackford

Just wanted to tell everyone thank you for all your help. I recieved my clearance today and I am scheduled to start on January 10th. Thanks for all of your helpful advice. ;D

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #28 on: Dec 31, 2010, 02:02 »
Congratulations and welcome to the commercial world! Just make sure you are somewhat active around here so that you can share your experience and perspective with other new comers. That would be a great way to thank this site.
« Last Edit: Dec 31, 2010, 02:03 by JustinHEMI »

mwdavis

« Reply #29 on: Dec 31, 2010, 06:21 »
Good luck!!!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?