Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Advice for soon to be Graduate

Author Topic: Advice for soon to be Graduate  (Read 6078 times)

RTHinesley

Advice for soon to be Graduate
« on: Oct 29, 2010, 12:16 »
Hey guys and gals, I'm a soon to be grad from Georgia Tech with a BSNRE.  My program GPA is a 2.79 and I've TA'd at GT.  I also had a part time job working at Geek Squad throughout my whole time at Tech to help pay for school, fraternity, and car.  So, I have no real relevant experience in the industry with the exception of taking the Nondestructive Analysis Applications for International Safeguards Training Lab at ORNL.  I found that Safeguards and Safety were the two most interesting topics that I enjoyed the most.  IAEA doesn't want anyone without 5 years experience for the most part.  Anything shielding and safety pretty much requires 3-5 years experience as well as tons of certifications.  I've really only found power jobs in the entry level but no safety and shielding.  Any advice?  Thanks

fission_frenzy

Re: Advice for soon to be Graduate
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2010, 01:17 »
Best bet is to get your foot in the door by any means necessary, even if it has nothing to do with your field of study. Gotta start somewhere gaining experience in the industry.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #2 on: Oct 30, 2010, 02:06 »
Sounds to me like you should be looking for non-licensed operator type jobs.

TN_LELT

« Reply #3 on: Oct 30, 2010, 02:24 »
If you are interested in possibilities outside of the power generation side of the house, Y-12 currently has a posting out for a new graduate nuclear engineer.  Did you make any good contacts while you were attending your IAEA lab at ORNL?  If  you did, perhaps they could give you some leverage at Y-12. 

One item worth noting, however, is that Y-12 requires a minimum GPA of 2.80.  You might want to step it up a notch in your final semester and finish strong in order to raise your GPA that extra 0.01 if this position interests you.

RTHinesley

« Reply #4 on: Oct 30, 2010, 11:20 »
yeah, I don't get why such an emphasis is put on grades in school.  Average GPA at Georgia Tech is a 2.6 or 2.7 (bounces between the 2).  I am above the average at GT, but it still looks like ass compared to other schools with average GPA's of 3+.  Am I learning less by having teachers that give out 2.2-2.8's which is the average grades for 3 and 4 level engineering classes at GT? *Sarcasm*

Offline Bradtv

• Moderate User
  • NukeLurker
« Reply #5 on: Oct 31, 2010, 02:40 »
One of my adjunct college instructors is a Quality Assurance/Safety Manager for his plant.  He said there are no "entry level" jobs for his department and that he only hires people with 5-10+ years of experience in the nuclear power industry.

The path to all departments has been mentioned as being an SRO.  If commercial nuclear power is your area of choice, getting in the Operations pipeline (NLO-AO/RO-SRO) should be your short term goal.  Then as an SRO, you can look into safety departments if that still interests you.

There are plenty of options with a BSNRE.  The limiting factor is the "Safeguards and Safety" category.  Perhaps there are options that will more quickly satisfy your interests in the contractor side (Westinghouse, Shaw, Mitsubishi, etc), but my own knowledge/experience is limited.
"Life is pleasant.  Death is peaceful.
It's the transition that's troublesome."  -Asimov

RTHinesley

« Reply #6 on: Oct 31, 2010, 08:08 »
Honestly, I'll do anything.  I'm not as arrogant and naive to believe I'll have my pick in jobs and can do whatever I want wherever I want.  At this point, I'd take the best/any job that I receive.  I am not saying I'm opposed to working at a nuclear power plant.  It just seems that literally every job for companies I've looked at is 100% 3-5 years experience with clearance or certification.  To whomever said something about Y-12, thanks.  Applied to that last night.

Offline tr

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #7 on: Oct 31, 2010, 08:01 »
I'd get yourself out to Vegas week after next and hit the ANS national meeting.  It's an easy way to talk to a lot of the big players, both utility and vendor.  I believe they offer cheap registration if you are a student.  PM me if you want more information.

RTHinesley

« Reply #8 on: Nov 01, 2010, 10:12 »
Unfortunately I can't make it out there.  I have a test that monday.  Hooray for school

Rich French

« Reply #9 on: Nov 01, 2010, 04:18 »
1. To mitigate the perception of a low GPA, put your class rank in parentheses next to your GPA. 
2. The best place to get a job after graduation is your school's job placement center. Seriously,  what have you been doing the last couple of years?  They are (were) a great source for summer internships so you would not be without some professional experience once.  There will be many companies recruiting fall and spring, with Fall probably already over.
3. Get in touch with your school's Nuclear Societies.  Become a member (you should have done this when you declared Nuclear 2-3 years ago).  People from the industry will come to school to give presentations.  They are also looking for smart people to hire.  Make contacts!  Talk shop afterwards.  Talk about the industry.  They will ask you for a resume if you seem smart, articulate, and humble.
4. Look at the mechanical/civil societies and see who is coming to campus and what are the events.  See below companies. If they are coming try to make contacts with them after the presentation. They will hang around afterwards in mixers talking shop.  Research what the company is doing and use it as a topic of discussion: " I see where Areva got a contract to build 10 nuclear plants in china, I bet you are excited Mr VP of engineering Areva guy" as an ice breaker.
5. Areva, Westinghouse, GE, Bechtel, Shaw, Sargent and Lundy hire nukes to support their construction/engineering (EPC).  I will bet most, if not all, are on campus this fall (but you missed them).  Sign up to interview with them.

I have a hard time believing this a serious post but I have answered to add general knowledge that might be of some help to freshman and sophomores.     

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?