Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu My "nuclear journey" thus far.....

Author Topic: My "nuclear journey" thus far.....  (Read 73435 times)

Offline yota

• Moderate User
My "nuclear journey" thus far.....
« on: Nov 06, 2010, 08:41 »
I don't post here much, but I constantly lurk and keep seeing the same questions pop up around here. In seeing this, I thought it might be helpful to share my personal story about how I got where I am. I will start with some background information on myself. Within this information, you will see hints relating to some of the obstacles I had to overcome to get to this point.

I am 27 years old from a small town and grew up knowing, without a doubt, that I wanted to be a mechanic when I "grew up." I graduated high school in May, 2001 towards the top of my class having completed many advanced courses while maintaining a fairly respectable grade point average. My biggest problem with any life endeavor is that I almost always end up bored once I truly figure something out- in fact, it drives me crazy when I'm not learning something new. I grew up working in my family's HVAC business during the summers and sometimes on the weekends. I went to a community college after high school and studied automotive systems before landing a job at the local BMW dealership. Three, or so, years later I became bored with working on cars and came to despise the amount of money I was spending on my personal tool collection. I left the industry and lept into the world of warehousing and international freight forwarding (logistics). Within one year, I was the warehouse manager and life was "good." Unfortunately, even in a field dubbed the name "logistics", I realized that none of the problems presented to me took any real effort to solve. In the end, I once again became bored- then the economy hit and I lost that job. Fast forward a few months and I am sitting in a recruiter's office talking about my options.

Now that all of that is out of the way, lets talk about the process of enlisting and getting a "nuke" contract and what happens from that point forward.

When I started the process of enlisting, I was already 25 and about to turn 26. Oops, red flag number one since the cutoff for the program is 25. My recruiter- a surface EM(N) told me very clearly that he could probably get me in, but that the nuke job might be a struggle. He was right. I scored a 99 on the ASVAB, which by any other standard other than age would have qualified me immediately for any job i could ever dream of in the enlisted military. In my case, it wasn't good enough though and I still had to take the NAPT in order for my age waiver to be considered. I came to this website around that time, searching, as many others before me have, for information related to what might actually be on this dreaded test. After seeing what was on the test, I stopped worrying so much and decided "if I know it, great... if not, oh well." Bad choice on my part as I feel that I struggled a bit more on the test than I should have given how truly easy the test should have been to take. My advice would be to definitely study, or at least brush up on old topics. None the less, after being out of any formal education for six years or so, I scored a 69 out of 80 and was granted my waiver. 

Now imagine living life in the "real world" as a civilian for almost 9 years and trying to enlist in the military without needing ANY other waivers. I don't really think it is possible. Life happens. Bad luck happens. Life goes on. What is paramount to receiving any of the waivers one might need for unfortunate circumstances (or stupid mistakes/actions) is how you handled these things and how forthright you are in telling what happened. Always be upfront and tell the truth, it's worth it on every level. I won't go into specifics on what other waivers i needed, but suffice to say with dedication, honesty, and a little work on my end, the paperwork went through.

Fast forward through 10 months of waiting in DEP and I left for Boot Camp. there is an excellent writeup on this site of a recent sailor's experience at RTC Great Lakes. I suggest anyone who wants to know what to expect should search for it and read through it. I will suffice to say that it was only as hard as the recruits made it on themselves.

I was selected to be an MM at Boot Camp which, fortunately, was my first choice given my background and life experience. I'm also not one to play WOW or the likes so I believe Navy made the right choice there!  ;) MM School was much easier than I imagined it would be and I strolled through, finishing second in my class with a 3.56 overall GPA. The information is all given to you, it's just up to you to learn it. I think the number one piece of advice that I can offer is to manage your time responsibly! So many people here fail to recognize the importance of a good night's sleep with regards to success. I promise if you go to bed at a decent time- rather than playing video games or chatting your girlfriend, you will have more time on your hands to do those things. The only people that I personally ever saw struggle through School were the ones who had to stand up, or be woken up by the instructor, because they didn't get enough sleep the night before.

I am now on the celebrated portion of the pipeline called "t-track." In my honest opinion, this is the worst part of the pipeline/process to date. Many people absolutely LOVE the time off. I have found it intolerably boring and expensive. I can only hope that my wait to go to prototype after power school is short. T-track is filled with fun things like rotating shift work manning various watch stations or incessant boredom on cleaning crew. When not doing these mostly bogus jobs, you have lots of free time to spend all of your money. Yay. I guess there's a bitter spot inside me about it also since our class-up date was moved back two months from when we were told we would start. The original date would have had me starting power school classes on Monday. Such is life in the Navy though. Your schedule will always be adjusted as they see fit but I still hold fast to the notion that all of this hard work, almost 2 years to get to this point, is worth it in the end.

I know that I have written something more than a simple short narrative here, and something just shy of novel length  :P but what I wanted to put out there for anyone considering going in, staying in, or whatever- it's not easy to get here, it's not easy to stay here, and there are a lot of sacrifices involved but so far it's worth it. Don't ever give up if "nuke" is what you want.

If anyone has any questions about anything, please feel free to ask me here or in a PM.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: My "nuclear journey" thus far.....
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2010, 09:03 »
Thanks for sharing.

Offline Bradtv

• Moderate User
  • NukeLurker
« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2010, 12:32 »
My biggest problem with any life endeavor is that I almost always end up bored once I truly figure something out- in fact, it drives me crazy when I'm not learning something new.

I'm in a similar boat.

In socionics (Meyers-Briggs Type Indicator specifically), this would be classified as an xNTp personality.  Sub an I or E for the x whether you tend to be introverted/extraverted.  While each variable is a dichotomy (that can share equal value), when a person is properly typed, they can learn a lot about predictable lifestyle behavior.

As for learning, if you can't find employment that provides a forever learning environment, when you have freedom (whether time or money) you can satiate the learning process by hobbies.

Anyhow, I don't mean to derail the thread on minor details.  You provide good help for people in the Navy... if they WORK and STUDY and fight to provide themselves with the proper environment (sleep/avoid distractions), they will SUCCEED.

Good luck to you and thanks for your service.
"Life is pleasant.  Death is peaceful.
It's the transition that's troublesome."  -Asimov

co60slr

« Reply #3 on: Nov 07, 2010, 07:32 »
...for anyone considering going in, staying in, or whatever- it's not easy to get here, it's not easy to stay here, and there are a lot of sacrifices involved but so far it's worth it. Don't ever give up if "nuke" is what you want.
No truer words have been spoken here.

The challenge doesn't end at boot camp, NFAS, NPS, Prototype, First Boat, Second Boat, Commissioning Program, Commercial Nuclear Power, etc.  It doesn't end when you're qualified your senior in-rate watch, EWS, EOOW, OOD, etc. 

You've "gotta want it" in a challenging technical career, or you'll get tire marks on your back...regardless of your past successes sometimes.

If you're bored, it's your own fault.  You've taken an exit ramp and will be duly rewarded.

This is what so many people try to convey here (some in their own colorful styles).

Offline yota

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2010, 09:36 »
I'm in a similar boat.

In socionics (Meyers-Briggs Type Indicator specifically), this would be classified as an xNTp personality.  Sub an I or E for the x whether you tend to be introverted/extraverted.  While each variable is a dichotomy (that can share equal value), when a person is properly typed, they can learn a lot about predictable lifestyle behavior.

As for learning, if you can't find employment that provides a forever learning environment, when you have freedom (whether time or money) you can satiate the learning process by hobbies.

Anyhow, I don't mean to derail the thread on minor details.  You provide good help for people in the Navy... if they WORK and STUDY and fight to provide themselves with the proper environment (sleep/avoid distractions), they will SUCCEED.

Good luck to you and thanks for your service.

Thank you for the words here. I never got into psychology but your reference has piqued my curiosity. Looks like that's what I'll be looking at for a while later today! :)

On the hobby note, I used to have a wonderful hobby to satisfy what was missing from other facets of my life. I kept saltwater reef tanks for about four years and it was wonderful. Unfortunately, the Navy gives me access to the largest tank in the world without much opportunity to own a small slice of it for myself. You should have seen my instructor's face when we were talking about distillation and I knew natural seawater levels of various elements in ppm and asked him about specific gravity, RO/DI, refractometers, conductivity of a fluid, and the likes- all things that are very important to keeping a successful reef tank. Apparently, that goes way beyond the scope of what we were expected/allowed to know about at that point in training! :P

No truer words have been spoken here.

The challenge doesn't end at boot camp, NFAS, NPS, Prototype, First Boat, Second Boat, Commissioning Program, Commercial Nuclear Power, etc.  It doesn't end when you're qualified your senior in-rate watch, EWS, EOOW, OOD, etc. 

You've "gotta want it" in a challenging technical career, or you'll get tire marks on your back...regardless of your past successes sometimes.

If you're bored, it's your own fault.  You've taken an exit ramp and will be duly rewarded.

This is what so many people try to convey here (some in their own colorful styles).

This is what I like to hear, and why I chose this path. I hope I never find out about those tire marks personally. Life is too short to give up and become complacent in what you know. Thank you!

Offline sovbob

• Fact-Checker
  • Moderate User
  • Vanguard of the Vox Populi
« Reply #5 on: Nov 07, 2010, 11:13 »
If you're particularly interested in the Myers-Briggs personality types, I suggest you read "Please Understand Me" by David Kiersey.  It provides an in-depth and easy to read explanation of the personalities and temperaments.  There's also a website featuring quick overviews of them.

http://www.keirsey.com/4temps/overview_temperaments.asp
(each personality type is listed in the column on the right)
"Everyone's entitled to be stupid now and then, but you're abusing the privilege."

Offline zoomies

• Light User
« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2010, 05:24 »
Take full advantage of T-Track and power school grad hold, it is the best deal you will get. If you think the rotating shift work sucks on t-track be prepared for the 15 day death march in prototype. Ill let you figure out what that entails haha. Best of luck, keep working hard and at the end of prototype when you walk out of that final board room knowing you passed, it will be the best feeling you can imagine.
Mechanic

Offline yota

• Moderate User
« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2010, 05:47 »
Take full advantage of T-Track and power school grad hold, it is the best deal you will get. If you think the rotating shift work sucks on t-track be prepared for the 15 day death march in prototype. Ill let you figure out what that entails haha. Best of luck, keep working hard and at the end of prototype when you walk out of that final board room knowing you passed, it will be the best feeling you can imagine.

Thanks for the words here. I guess I'm just anxious to get back in the classroom and to continue doing what I came here to do. I am fully aware of the benefits of T-track, just not so excited about them personally as it truly feels like time wasted. I'm a fairly motivated person and I hate looking back and seeing that my time was not spent being productive. I can honestly sit here and tell you that I did not join the Navy to collect a check for sitting on my rump all day- I came here to learn and serve my country. Maybe I'm just weird?  :P

Offline zoomies

• Light User
« Reply #8 on: Nov 08, 2010, 06:05 »
I don't know what the current situation is with power school grad hold is, but when I went on hold they had me on triple hold (6 months), but I found someone with a similar GPA as me who wanted to stay on hold and got permission from the hold chief to take his place. This saved me 2 months of sitting on my ass on hold, so I would suggest you take the initiative if you are truly trying to get out of this place ASAP.
Mechanic

Offline yota

• Moderate User
« Reply #9 on: Nov 08, 2010, 08:40 »
Roger that. I was slated to class up with 1101 but they bumped my entire A-school class along with half of the class before me to 1102. Unfortunately, not much I can do there but I will definitely keep the given advice in mind when the time comes for grad hold next year. Thanks.

Offline zoomies

• Light User
« Reply #10 on: Nov 09, 2010, 05:23 »
Random bit of advice since I just got a eval today and remembered, get into class leadership in power school! You will get a good eval no matter how dumb your job was (or at least our class did).
Mechanic

tselby

« Reply #11 on: Nov 10, 2010, 08:07 »
Random bit of advice since I just got a eval today and remembered, get into class leadership in power school! You will get a good eval no matter how dumb your job was (or at least our class did).

leadership positions no matter where they are garnered are very important, but it is very premature to 1.) tell someone they will get an eval better than the rest when they are in a leadership, this is not to say they wont but it is not always true,,,

and finally - the most important thing to remember is you are in school and your main focus / job is to do well in school become a nuke support the fleet and your country..............

just my 2 cents

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #12 on: Nov 29, 2010, 03:47 »
Thanks for the words here. I guess I'm just anxious to get back in the classroom and to continue doing what I came here to do. I am fully aware of the benefits of T-track, just not so excited about them personally as it truly feels like time wasted. I'm a fairly motivated person and I hate looking back and seeing that my time was not spent being productive. I can honestly sit here and tell you that I did not join the Navy to collect a check for sitting on my rump all day- I came here to learn and serve my country. Maybe I'm just weird?  :P

Ill tell you something... the grass is ALWAYS greener. I remember being in your shoes for a while. I hated T track while I was in it. Looking back I was completely retarded and wasted every day. 

God Im going to get negative Karma for this one... Leadership positions are meaningless in the pipeline unless you are applying for STA-21. No one in the fleet will give a rat's behind that you were section 3's assistant class leader. You MAY get a better eval with a leadership position. You WILL get a better eval if you score well. 3.6's got MP's and 3.8's got EP's when I went through.

And last but not least I still have my T-track card in my wallet lmao. Its funny because 3 of these chiefs on here got kicked out in that cheating scandal a few years ago lol.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #13 on: Nov 29, 2010, 08:27 »

God Im going to get negative Karma for this one... Leadership positions are meaningless in the pipeline unless you are applying for STA-21. No one in the fleet will give a rat's behind that you were section 3's assistant class leader. You MAY get a better eval with a leadership position. You WILL get a better eval if you score well. 3.6's got MP's and 3.8's got EP's when I went through.

For once I agree with you. :) No one cares about that sort of thing, except the person filling the position. If it gives you personal satisfaction and pride, then it is worth something. Just as my "honor recruit" and "military excellence" awards at boot were meaningless anywhere except in my own head and heart. I remember when we "purged" our records and the yeoman gave me the letters for those awards and said keep em or throw them away... I keep them with my other self serving, yet meaningless accolades from the Navy. ;D

co60slr

« Reply #14 on: Nov 29, 2010, 11:03 »
... Leadership positions are meaningless in the pipeline unless you are applying for STA-21. No one in the fleet will give a rat's behind that you were section 3's assistant class leader. You MAY get a better eval with a leadership position. You WILL get a better eval if you score well. 3.6's got MP's and 3.8's got EP's when I went through.
The only thing that matters in a Training Pipeline is your GPA.  The "King of the Non-Quals" (i.e., Section Leader) is still just that..."unqualified".

You're not a nuclear leader until you're an EOOW or EWS.   /PERIOD.

Co58

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #15 on: Nov 29, 2010, 11:12 »
The only thing that matters in a Training Pipeline is your GPA.  The "King of the Non-Quals" (i.e., Section Leader) is still just that..."unqualified".

Co58

Couldn't agree more.

Fermi2

« Reply #16 on: Nov 29, 2010, 01:12 »
Myers Briggs is a bunch of sociological poppycosh meant to make a wimp feel better about being a wimp.
« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2010, 02:07 by Nuclear NASCAR »

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #17 on: Nov 29, 2010, 02:08 »
And now it's back to that rating.   ;)
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #18 on: Nov 29, 2010, 03:11 »
And now it's back to that rating.   ;)

Please tell me you didn't Moderate 'poppycock' into 'poppycosh' ...   :o ;)

Myers Briggs is a bunch of sociological poppycosh meant to make a wimp feel better about being a wimp.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #19 on: Nov 29, 2010, 03:15 »

Did someone say "poppycock" ?

Further to prove BZ's point... a focus group approved performance

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #20 on: Nov 29, 2010, 03:21 »

Co58

Or chief reactor watch ;)

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #21 on: Nov 29, 2010, 07:03 »

Nope, left that one in there.  ;D
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline Bradtv

• Moderate User
  • NukeLurker
« Reply #22 on: Nov 30, 2010, 05:38 »

It might just do that, but it does many other things as well.  What good is a tool if you don't know how to use it?
"Life is pleasant.  Death is peaceful.
It's the transition that's troublesome."  -Asimov

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #23 on: Nov 30, 2010, 06:36 »

Fermi2

« Reply #24 on: Nov 30, 2010, 10:47 »
It might just do that, but it does many other things as well.  What good is a tool if you don't know how to use it?

It doesn't do anything of the sort, it's not a tool at all. Here's all you need to know about personalities and such in this industry.

Stop Whining, Man Up and do your job aka SWMUADYJ personality type.

That's the BZ personality inventory and guess what? IT WORKS!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?