Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Going into Navy. Thinking about Nuke. PLEASE HELP!
honeypot

Author Topic: Going into Navy. Thinking about Nuke. PLEASE HELP!  (Read 4719 times)

pccfootballplayer

I just have a few questions about going in as a navy nuke. i know that's where the money is and quick advancement. But if i'm gonna make a career out of it i'm gonna wanna enjoy my job. I understand it is alot lot of Mental work. but how much physical work is there. I've always liked physical work more then sitting at a desk. I guess what i'm pretty much asking is what does a navy nuke do on a day to day basis. If it helps you out any i think my recruiter is trying to put me in as a MM.

My next question is getting into the nuke program. i got an 80 on my asvab and now my recruiter says i have to take the napt. I just need to know what to study up on or if there are any study guides out there.

Offline seconskin552

• Light User
  • I'm not a doctor. I am only five years old!
Re: Going into Navy. Thinking about Nuke. PLEASE HELP!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2010, 03:24 »
The NAPT has been covered at least a hundred times. Search "NAPT" in the search bar. Enjoy

For your first question, what I have gleaned is that there is a lot of sitting and recording numbers, and not a whole lot of physical work except for cleaning and maintaining the reactor. I could be wrong however. (Excluding PT that every sailor does of course).

VR,

Secon

Offline still_in

• Light User
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2010, 05:48 »

For your first question, what I have gleaned is that there is a lot of sitting and recording numbers, and not a whole lot of physical work except for cleaning and maintaining the reactor. I could be wrong however. (Excluding PT that every sailor does of course).

That whole "maintaining the reactor" thing is a pretty demanding thing, especially on older plants.  May not always be physically challenging but you can bet it will be exhausting.

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2010, 07:07 »
Using the search function would have shown some ambition.

co60slr

« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2010, 07:51 »
The NAPT has been covered at least a hundred times. Search "NAPT" in the search bar. Enjoy

If this is what YOU consider to be a nuclear career, you too should use the Search function.   If your job was to simply "record numbers", the Navy could train monkeys to do it.

tselby

« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2010, 06:55 »
I often thought of myself as the albino monkey many times during my 21yrs in the navy,,,,,i got so good i knew the numbers before i read the guages and meters,,,, [dowave]

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2010, 01:20 »
I often thought of myself as the albino monkey many times during my 21yrs in the navy,,,,,i got so good i knew the numbers before i read the guages and meters,,,, [dowave]

hahaha :)

We're going to read this as "I was able to estimate with astounding accuracy, and verified upon reading" correct? ;)

To the OP :  sounds like you want to be a mechanic. All the rates have pretty physically demanding jobs for the most part, most noticeably the mechanics. Until I became ALPO I was always getting my hands dirty :D Fun, but stressful, job.

JsonD13

« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2010, 05:33 »
Is that supposed to read "until I became dog food"??

Jason ;-)

tselby

« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2010, 05:49 »
 [dowave] [dowave] Maybe you can decide to flip burgers for $7/hr................. thats always a choice.

I'll keep my 100k / yr job making nuclear reactions safe and providing electricity for the masses

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?