Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Out of field 12 years, any chance to get in?

Author Topic: Out of field 12 years, any chance to get in?  (Read 3118 times)

kvt

Out of field 12 years, any chance to get in?
« on: Nov 19, 2010, 02:31 »
Hello all.  I earned a Master's degree in Nuclear Engineering in 1998, but have worked in the water resources field (simultaneously earned an MS in Civil in '98) since graduating.  I have done very well in this field, recently being promoted to head the water resources department for the company I work for.  However, nuclear has always been my first love, but there just weren't any jobs around when I graduated back in '98.  I recently had to do some work for an anti-nuke group  >:(, and my stomach still turns at the idea.  This lit a fire under my rear to see just how much the industry has bounced back in the past few years, and see what job opportunities may exist out there.

As an undergrad, I majored in physics and worked for the RSO for 3 years.  My grad school was paid for with a DOE OCRWM fellowship.  As such, my program focussed on waste management and health physics, but of course touched on many other aspects of nuclear power generation and plant design.

Anyone with any feel as to whether my management experience combined with my education could be a winning combination in the industry, or after 12 years of working with water, is my destiny pretty well locked in place?

Thanks for any input you may have!

Offline Bradtv

• Moderate User
  • NukeLurker
Re: Out of field 12 years, any chance to get in?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2010, 12:55 »
I think the only real question is what type of position do you wish to apply for?

The (water) Chemistry department would probably be your most natural entry-level segway.  Your degrees in Nuclear and Civil Engineering, although dated, tell the Utilities that you have the aptitude for many fields.  They just need to teach you the industry specifics on the job.  So pick a field and apply!

They will likely want to use your management potential eventually.  You don't become a "winning combination" for the industry, however, until you are licensed and have experience.  This isn't meant to discourage, as you should be among the "winning combination" of applicants (as there are many among limited openings).

What department are you most interested in?  Depending on members here familiar with the various fields, you may or may not get much feedback.
"Life is pleasant.  Death is peaceful.
It's the transition that's troublesome."  -Asimov

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?