Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu tiger cruise honeypot

Author Topic: tiger cruise  (Read 6761 times)

heybeerman

tiger cruise
« on: Nov 24, 2010, 11:57 »
my son is wanting me to meet them in pearl harbor. i have a question, has anyone went on a tiger cruise that has sleep apnea? i can't sleep without my machine but don't know if there is room or electrical outlet available. he is on cvn70.   

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: tiger cruise
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2010, 12:07 »
is your machine a cpap, portable O2 concentrator or ?  There are outlets, yes
« Last Edit: Nov 25, 2010, 01:28 by HydroDave63 »

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2010, 12:46 »
Each ship is different but CVN-71 had very few legitimate outlets in enlisted berthing spaces outside the lounge area. The rack light outlets where removed, a few remained but they where re-installed illegally.

Have your son ask his chain of command about what accommodations can be made. What will be allowed onboard is the commands decision.

TN_LELT

« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2010, 04:25 »
When I was on the CVN-69 a couple of years ago, the guy in the rack underneath mine had sleep apnea.  He had a machine that he slept with every night. 

I'd be very surprised if if the CVN-70 has any legitimate "rack-tricity", although your son might be able to fix you up in a rack that does have it (which by the end of a deployment there are bound to be several racks that have been wired).  If not, he could probably get an extension cord from the electricians on board which could be plugged into the legitimate stanchion mounted outlets. 

Like 93-383 said, have your son ask his chain of command about accommodations.  They will certainly be able to work with you guys about this issue, as many of the sailors on board probably have the same condition.  Enjoy your "cruise"!

JsonD13

« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2010, 11:18 »
Been on the CVN-70.   No rack-tricity.   The ship has been recently gutted and re-made, I'm sure there aren't many "illegal" mods yet.  I also have sleep apnea.  Basically had to have a bottom rack so the machine wasnt crammed in my rack with me.  One day they tagged out the electricity to our berthing.  I informed my CoC about it and was told tough stuff buddy.

From my experience, that ship isn't very considerate to those with sleep apnea.

Oops! I'm sure they would treat you fine if you were visiting the ship.

Jason
« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2010, 11:21 by JsonD13 »

heybeerman

« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2010, 06:30 »
thank you all for the info. i will have my son check for me. thanks again,randy

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2010, 02:55 »
heybeerman, do me a favor, and make sure you are medically qualified to do go on this tiger cruise. My old captain was EXTREMELY strict about who could come on board. Just want you to make sure ahead of time before you (god forbid) buy plane tickets and cant even get on.  that said, your electronics will have to be safety checked and they may not even allow it on board. If you are going to be "sneaky" about it, im sure your son would be better to ask then this forum :)

E div has extension cords you can rent, im sure they will accommodate you.

Samabby

« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2010, 10:07 »
Heybeerman,

How much do you weigh? Are you healthy enough for a LOT of walking and climbing? Please get an honest assessment prior to going to Pearl.

Samabby

« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2010, 09:16 »
Did I strike a nerve?  [DH]

co60slr

« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2010, 10:03 »
Did I strike a nerve?  [DH]
Yes, with many of us.  Clearly, the CO of that CVN does NOT need your help in preparing for his Tiger Cruise.  Meanwhile, it seems that the OP's real question was answered without your immature $0.02 tossed in out of boredom.

Co58

Samabby

« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2010, 03:57 »
 I was not bored and thought that this was a worthwhile question. Sleep apnia is often associated with being overweight.

I have been on ships during active duty ( many years ago ) and recently as a guest. An older, overweight person just might have difficulty with the walking involved. I was merely trying to give a point to consider.

Sorry if you took it for anything else.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?