Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu When do I ask for my sign-on bonus?
honeypot

Author Topic: When do I ask for my sign-on bonus?  (Read 8636 times)

Chicowboy

When do I ask for my sign-on bonus?
« on: Dec 16, 2010, 01:20 »
I'm applying for NUPOC/Nuclear Engineering Officer for the Navy. I'm currently at the point of the process where I need to turn in my Letter of Intent so that I can be invited down to Washington DC to talk with the Admiral. My question is this: When should I get my sign on bonus in writing?

My Letter of Intent basically says:
1. I hereby apply for NUPOC, Naval Reactors Engineer, or Nuclear Power Instructor programs.

2. If selected, I agree to enlist and be placed in active/inactivce status as an OC1 (E6) in the United States Navy Reserve. Such enlistment will be executed following interview and prior to departing Washington DC.

So should I have my sign on bonus as well in here, or does that come later? I've been having a hard time getting a straight answer from my recruiter. What exactly does this letter hold me to? Thanks for the help and info!

Offline redline

• Moderate User
Re: When do I ask for my sign-on bonus?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2010, 01:30 »
3. I understand that the US Navy will pay me the sum of $XXX in consideration as a sign on bonus as agreed at time of signing.

Or something like that. You've probably heard the term "you should have gotten that in writing"! 

Chicowboy

« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2010, 01:43 »
Thank you very much for the quick reply! I will call back my recruiter and ask her to add that to my Letter of Intent.

Is there anything else I should make sure is in it as well?

On another note, do you happen to know what happens after I turn in my Letter of Intent, but before I go down to D.C.?

Once again, thanks for the quick and great help! I've gotten a lot of good information looking through this forum.
« Last Edit: Dec 16, 2010, 02:32 by Chicowboy »

timothymcf

« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2010, 01:10 »
3. I understand that the US Navy will pay me the sum of $XXX in consideration as a sign on bonus as agreed at time of signing.

Or something like that. You've probably heard the term "you should have gotten that in writing"!  

I cannot thank you enough for your extremely helpful reply. You really saved me a lot of future headache. God bless. :)

« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2011, 09:41 by Nuclear NASCAR »

Offline cheme09

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2010, 12:31 »
There's no talk of a bonus on paper until after you pass the interview.  At this point, you're just an applicant that doesn't know if you'll even be invited to an interview.

A letter of intent is just as it is named...just a statement of your intentions.  Signing that does not lock you into anything.  After you make it in front of the Admiral, you'll shortly find out if he said yes or no.  It's at that time you have a decision to make.  You have the ability to accept or reject his offer to let you into the Nuclear Navy.  If you accept, then you'll be processed and asked to sign enlistment documents.  That's when you want to ask for everything in writing.  It's at that time when signing the dotted line locks you in.  You have no obligations to the governement until you signature ends up on enlisment documents.  Even if you passed all the interviews, if you don't sign you're still a civilian free to go home with no military obligation if you choose.  However, if you are fortunate enough to get sent to and interview, it's probably best to make up your mind before hand and not waste the Admiral's time.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2010, 12:25 »
There's no talk of a bonus on paper until after you pass the interview.  At this point, you're just an applicant that doesn't know if you'll even be invited to an interview.

A letter of intent is just as it is named...just a statement of your intentions.  Signing that does not lock you into anything.  After you make it in front of the Admiral, you'll shortly find out if he said yes or no.  It's at that time you have a decision to make.  You have the ability to accept or reject his offer to let you into the Nuclear Navy.  If you accept, then you'll be processed and asked to sign enlistment documents.  That's when you want to ask for everything in writing.  It's at that time when signing the dotted line locks you in.  You have no obligations to the governement until you signature ends up on enlisment documents.  Even if you passed all the interviews, if you don't sign you're still a civilian free to go home with no military obligation if you choose.  However, if you are fortunate enough to get sent to and interview, it's probably best to make up your mind before hand and not waste the Admiral's time.

I don't think what you say is factual.  If you come to DC for an interview, you have already agreed that you will join IF accepted by the ADM.  

Also, there is no need to haggle over your bonus.  Every future nuclear officer who gets accepted into the program gets the new accession bonus.

Cheers,
GC
« Last Edit: Dec 31, 2010, 12:28 by Gamecock »
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?