Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Worried about Selection for Interview

Author Topic: Worried about Selection for Interview  (Read 2741 times)

rocketscientist

Worried about Selection for Interview
« on: Dec 20, 2010, 07:18 »
Hi Everyone,

I'll admit up front I'm sorry for asking the banal question that so many have asked before; do I stand a fighting chance of being selected for NUPOC interview?
I'm a 4th year aerospace engineering student (aerospace engineers are essentially mechanical engineers with our technical electives picked out for us, i.e. aerodynamics, dynamics/controls of aerospace vehicles, and aerospace structures) graduating in June 2011. I go to UCSD and have an overall GPA of 3.61. I'm involved in my fraternity to some extent (but no, I'm not the stereotypical inebriated frat boy-I hate that disparaging term), and I have a year-round internship at SONGS (San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station). I'm US born, have no arrests, debt, nor tattoos. I was just medically cleared by MEPS, and my only issue was my eyesight (which is correctable with glasses/contacts, so it's a bit of a non-issue). I'm fairly active and have always valued my fitness; I've been running about 3-4 times a week and feel I can already meet the minimum OCS PFT standards (considering I get accepted).
The issue is I want to do everything I can to make my application look stellar and be ready for those interviews in DC. I'll hopefully be interviewing for sub, and the only C+ I have was in Dynamics (poor time management skills and first encounter with multiple upper division classes). My recruiter said from my application thus far I'm an excellent candidate but I wanted to get some feedback from some of those who were selected for NUPOC positions. I've been doing everything in my ability to prepare for the interview, including studying those NUPOC study guides on this website, and although I have just started studying, I'm starting to understand the questions and logics and remember those math and physics concepts.

I'm sorry everyone for this extremely long-winded response, but to be blunt, I'm absolutely excited about the possibility of hopefully serving on a submarine. I want to do everything in my power to get that D.C. interview, and, if selected, will do everything I can to excel in OCS, Nuke School, Prototype, and Sub School.

Thanks for any and all input, and I hope all of you have happy (and safe) holidays with your families!

rocketscientist

Re: Worried about Selection for Interview
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2010, 07:23 »
Oops, forgot to mention I've never messed with drugs and don't drink. Yea, I know it's odd for a "frat-boy" to not drink, but hey, how many "frat-boys" want to join the military either?
« Last Edit: Dec 20, 2010, 07:24 by rocketscientist »

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Re: Worried about Selection for Interview
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2010, 06:54 »
If everything you say is true, you'll be heading to DC for an interview soon.

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?