Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NLO hopeful trying to get outage work at Limerick

Author Topic: NLO hopeful trying to get outage work at Limerick  (Read 3683 times)

Offline garyelloyd

• Lurker
My name is Gary and I have been lurking on the forums for the last couple of days.  I am looking to move into the nuke industry by becoming an NLO at the Limerick Plant.  I have a Civil Engineering B.S. from Pitt (2003), and I have my EIT.  Since graduating, I have worked as a Construction and Design Consultant for architects in Philadelphia.  I am also an elected Township Supervisor in Exeter Township, Berks County.

From what I have heard, there aren't going to be NLO openings at Limerick for almost a year, but I am trying to get some nuke experience between now and then.  According to this website - http://www.roadtechs.com/nukeout.htm - there is going to be an outage on one of the towers in late March of this year.  I know it may be a long shot, but does anyone have advice on how I can get work there?  I have vacation time built up and can free up time.

I can do any kind of work and do it well.  I worked for my father's construction company on the weekends and summers during high school and until I graduated college.

I will make another post in the near future about my strategy to be prepared for the NLO interview, but for now my focus is on doing outage work.  Any thoughts or suggestions?

*Edit - I've looked into this a little more and it seems like it is all union work, which is a problem for me because I am not in a union.  I would mainly be qualified as a laborer and according to a chart that I found on here, Local Labor Union #135 handles that.  Is this not an attainable goal?
« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2011, 01:41 by garyelloyd »

my name is.....

Re: NLO hopeful trying to get outage work at Limerick
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2011, 01:42 »
Study and practice for the POSS and/or MASS, that should be your main concern. You won't even be offered an interview until you pass that. There are countless books and guides to help you with that. But with your background I don't see you having any troubles.

Good luck and keep searching.

Offline garyelloyd

• Lurker
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2011, 01:55 »
I just ordered Barron's Mechanical Aptitude and Spatial Relations Test.  I also am studying up on my Electrial/Physics/Math fundamentals and trying to understand the whole nuclear process.  I have a friend who is a NLO at the Berwick Plant in PA who turned me on to the career. 

The biggest reason that I am trying to get more experience is because there was an Initial License Trainee (ILT) position at the Limerick plant in August that I applied to, and I didn't hear anything back.  Maybe that was too advanced for my qualifications.  I am just trying to do everything I can to make sure I get a chance to take the test and get an interview. 

my name is.....

« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2011, 02:04 »
I don't know a whole lot about ILT but I am pretty sure it is in regards to a Sr. Reactor Operator/supervisor position. I believe that would require one to be a licensed Reactor Operator first or have sufficient Naval nuclear experience. (not exactly sure, someone may correct or clarify me).

Speed and accuracy is the name of the game for the POSS/MASS. The technical aspects and content are simple.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?