Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NLO and Math honeypot

Author Topic: NLO and Math  (Read 4621 times)

lionhart

NLO and Math
« on: Jan 19, 2011, 06:40 »
I've received advice to refresh on my math skills before I start NLO class.  I have a couple of simple questions.  What should I study up on? Algebra, trig, etc?   The math on the POSS was very simple and basic algebra. I've always been good at math, but brushing up on skills can never hurt.

Also, are you allowed to use calculators?

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
Re: NLO and Math
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2011, 06:50 »
Studying never hurt.

Referrring to my own NLO training, including a course in General Fundementals (GF as it is commonly called), math was never much more difficult than algebra.

I don't think anyone is going to ask of you to derive the SUR equation.

Even in the general day in the life, higher math isnt really necessary. If there are equations necessary in the performance of testing, they are typically plug and chug the values.

Every plant and company is different and ymmv.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2011, 07:00 »
I taught a class of NLO basic math/physics once, and we covered BASIC geometry, trig (SOHCAHTOA is about all you need), algebra, fractions, exponents/logs (basic rules), and for some retarded reason, radians. In physics it was basic F=MA type of stuff. YMMV.

Good luck.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2011, 07:00 »
Oh, and yes, you're allowed to use calculators. Depending on the cheapness of your utility, they may even provide them to you.

lehaoz

« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2011, 01:58 »
Math wasn't taught in my NLO class. Most people in the class had no problems with the level of math knowledge required. Simple algebra, very little trig (power triangle), and onetime usage of the natural log function to calculate log mean temperature difference for heat exchangers.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2011, 04:37 »
if you want I can email you our NLO math courses.

Its VERY basic stuff, so I wouldnt  worry about it.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?