Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Ex-Navy Nuke trying to return to the workforce

Author Topic: Ex-Navy Nuke trying to return to the workforce  (Read 8432 times)

Phil

Ex-Navy Nuke trying to return to the workforce
« on: Jan 24, 2011, 04:17 »
Hi all,

I was honorably discharged back in 2004.  I was an MM1/ss Machinist Mate with a little over 10 years service.  I was qualified ERS and EWS and attended Nuke Planners Course and Nuke Repair Trade Skills course while I was stationed at NPTU Charleston.  I also attended just about every other school for an MM, including QAI and QAS.  In addition to all this, I received my BSAST from Thomas Edison State College in Trenton. 
I have been a chef for the last few years, but I am looking to fall back on my military background now, as the restaurant industry is not cutting it for me. 
I live in the south NJ / Philadelphia area and cannot relocate.
I have been unemployed for 10 months now and am having trouble finding work.  Is there anyone out there that can help?

Phil

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
Re: Ex-Navy Nuke trying to return to the workforce
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2011, 08:16 »
Send me a PM with some contact info.
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2011, 05:30 »
Hi all,

I was honorably discharged back in 2004.  I was an MM1/ss Machinist Mate with a little over 10 years service.  I was qualified ERS and EWS and attended Nuke Planners Course and Nuke Repair Trade Skills course while I was stationed at NPTU Charleston.  I also attended just about every other school for an MM, including QAI and QAS.  In addition to all this, I received my BSAST from Thomas Edison State College in Trenton. 
I have been a chef for the last few years, but I am looking to fall back on my military background now, as the restaurant industry is not cutting it for me. 
I live in the south NJ / Philadelphia area and cannot relocate.
I have been unemployed for 10 months now and am having trouble finding work.  Is there anyone out there that can help?

Phil

one of the guys that got hired with me was ex navy, out for about 9 years while he worked at the family business. It went under so he went searching, found a nuke plant that hired him :D

That said, is it a personal reason you cant relocate or you just dont want to? I got about 6,000$ in "relocation bonuses" and they paid for free shipping of house hold goods on top of that.

good luck on your search. BTW be patient if you are trying to get into the nuke field, because the process is seeming to take a long time nowadays.

Offline Drive24

• Very Lite User
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2011, 08:08 »
Good advice from the previous 2. I've been out for 20 years this year. With skills like we nuke's have, you NEVER totally forget them. The Navy burns us out on nuclear power. I was out for 7 years before I went back, but as an EM, I passed the Northeast Utilities exam the first outage I worked. Be confident and hang in there. Something will come your way. Good luck, Bruddah!

Offline sportzy1964

• Very Lite User
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2012, 09:47 »
I am very happy to see this topic as I have been out of the Navy nuclear field for 20 years now.  My family was/is in southern Ohio so I went conventional but am interested in seeing what it'd be like for me to toss my hat into mix again.

Offline Deuce Grande

• Very Lite User
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 08:40 »
As someone who just got out, it took me close to 3 months of spamming my resume across the internet.  Talked to recruiters, joined linkedin and basically just stayed glued to the computer for 2 hours a night until I landed a job at crystal river as an operator.  Just keep plugging away.  The time was mainly because there were no openings at any plants when i started applying.  With our skill set, there really isn't any limit to what we can do on the outside.

IPREGEN

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 07:39 »
Lucky for you there is a station not too far from you, where Salem and Hope Creek live on a bit of paradise called Artificial Island, just outside of Salem, NJ. Since you are just restarting it may be best if you work as a contractor to get acquainted with commercial power. Try the Shaw Group, they have contracts at the station and it is a good way to make decent money and reenter the field.
http://www.shawgrp.com/careers

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 08:35 »
There is also Limerick up the street a ways.
LM

Offline BroadStreetBully

• Very Lite User
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 10:48 »
We could always use a good crew chef here at Peach Bottom if you wanna drive a little ways to Delta. (Too far for me personally, but there are a couple guys that do it.) I know that they're looking to start another EO class around the beginning of next year so the posting will probably be on the Exelon website a few months before.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 10:49 by BroadStreetBully »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?