Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Why Nuke? honeypot

Author Topic: Why Nuke?  (Read 11164 times)

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
Why Nuke?
« on: Jan 27, 2011, 02:25 »
Why did you decide to go nuke instead of Advanced Electronics or whatever? What pushed you over the fence?

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Re: Why Nuke?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2011, 03:55 »
Why did you decide to go nuke instead of Advanced Electronics or whatever? What pushed you over the fence?

Weaned on SciFi in high school, Arthur Clarke, Robert Heinlein (Annapolis class of 29), Isaac Asimov, Ray Bradbury, Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, and many others. Scotty on Star Trek was my favorite character next to Spock and Nuclear Power on a submarine seemed very exciting. I had recently read Arthur Clarke's book the Deep Range, a near future book about farming and living under the sea using mini subs to farm and ranch the seas resources.

Did I mention that my draft number was very low and they were still sending men to Viet Nam. The Nuke recruiter said I would never see a swamp as long as I passed all of my tests and made it through the program  ;) .

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2011, 04:10 »
Dollar signs.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2011, 06:17 »
Definitely the babes ;)

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2011, 08:05 »
Money, wrong reason, don't recomend it.

JsonD13

« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2011, 12:22 »
Money and scientific glory pushed me to sign the dotted line.  But in retrospect, I think I would have made the same desicion that I did because I have a great job and make enough money that its more about what I do versus how much I make that matters.

Jason

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2011, 01:30 »
There are 15 replies here;

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,18278.0.html

some guys just love to tell the same story over and over and over and over and over and over.....

heh. The one time I didn't search first and you caught me. :P
« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2011, 01:34 by Styrofoam »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2011, 07:41 »
Money, wrong reason, don't recomend it.

Curiously, what other reason is there?

DSO

« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2011, 09:32 »
Was initially selected for Aviation Electronics, but after the recruiter showed me the bonuses and extra money in the nuclear pipeline I went Nuke subs. 25 years later I am very happy about my decision as I am a Power Dispatcher and have outstanding pay, benefits and unparalleled job security in a city electrical utility.  :P :P

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2011, 06:31 »
Yes, I get what you are saying, but I don't see those as reasons to get IN to nuke power, because you wouldn't know them until in.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2011, 06:59 »

Quote from: withroaj on Sep 02, 2009, 11:15
I haven't even gotten to the award-winning personalities, animal magnetism, and overall sex appeal that are the cornerstones of the ELT community.

An ELT, my friend, is a creature of mystery.

A creature much like the 17 Year Cicada:

Shiny, inedible, doesn't do much for the garden and a loud incessant buzzzzzing in the evening ;)

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2011, 08:27 »
Curiously, what other reason is there?

Well there is always finding something you think you will be interested in.

HS student walks up to recruiter and says "I want to work with computers"

The recruiter responds "Well I have the perfect thing for you.... (recruiter pulls out brochures) Nuclear Power"

HS student "That doesn't sound like working with computers"

Recruiter "But look instant advancement to E4 and STAR re-enlistment worth E5 and up to $45,000(1999)" 

I don't blame the recruiter, I was the fool that traded my interests for dollars. But in doing so I learned a valuable lesson, if you hate your job it doesn't matter how much you get paid.

Offline NapoleonMikey

• Very Lite User
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2011, 10:34 »
Yes, I get what you are saying, but I don't see those as reasons to get IN to nuke power, because you wouldn't know them until in.

My recruiter promised me there were 100 women to every man in Charleston. That got me to sign. I'm really hoping when I get there he wasn't lying to me.  ;)

But cant say the bonuses weren't a big part of the reason. Right around the time I was deciding to go nuke or not my recruiter and another recruiter in the office got there re-enlistment bonuses. One said $5k the other said $75k. You cant say that that had no influence at all on me.

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2011, 11:22 »
I read the stories in the thread Marssim posted and they were really interesting. Seemed like most of them were the same, though. Seems like everybody just stumbled into nuclear.
My recruiter promised me there were 100 women to every man in Charleston. That got me to sign. I'm really hoping when I get there he wasn't lying to me.  ;)
Let me know how that goes.  ::)

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2011, 12:18 »

He probably thought you were going to sign up as an Shiite Chaplain  :P

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #15 on: Jan 29, 2011, 09:00 »
My recruiter promised me there were 100 women to every man in Charleston.

I enlisted back when Nuke Power School was in Orlando, FL.

My recruiter told me that classes ended every day at 3:00 pm and Daytona Beach was a two hour drive away.  He told me I'd have lots of free time to spend there!
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #16 on: Jan 29, 2011, 08:10 »
GC,
My recruiter told me the same thing. Stupid PNs.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #17 on: Jan 30, 2011, 09:52 »
I could have been a nuke, but I decided to be a Hull Tech instead. Seemed more "fun" to me.

bologna. The only reason to not go nuke is if you cant. Those recruiters paint a brilliant picture of making rank, making bills, and working in a prestigious, glorified field. I know of no-one that legitimately turned down nuke. Not saying its not possible, but definitely not the "norm".

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #18 on: Jan 30, 2011, 07:44 »
Pretty simple really.  The night of my high school prom, I looked around and said to myself "In ten years when I see all these people again, how many of them can say they played with a nuclear reactor?  Well there is going to be at least one."  The rest is history.
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #19 on: Jan 30, 2011, 08:24 »
I could have been a nuke, but I decided to be a Hull Tech instead. Seemed more "fun" to me.

bologna. The only reason to not go nuke is if you cant. Those recruiters paint a brilliant picture of making rank, making bills, and working in a prestigious, glorified field. I know of no-one that legitimately turned down nuke. Not saying its not possible, but definitely not the "norm".

I've known a few, but they were Intel or Crypto, which I also thought about (and knowing what I know now, probably would have done, too).

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 30, 2011, 08:57 »
He probably thought you were going to sign up as an Shiite Chaplain  :P

Otherwise known as a Holy Shiite?
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #21 on: Feb 10, 2011, 11:00 »

I've known a few, but they were Intel or Crypto, which I also thought about (and knowing what I know now, probably would have done, too).

You get my point though :D

My father was a crypto officer, definitely capable of easing through the nuke program as well.

Trust me, seeing his job opportunities vs mine, nuke was a better route. He was offered a defense contract job in DC, and couldnt find much other work elsewhere, besides general managment areas.

this is all pending you actually go into the nuke field afterwards!! 

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?