Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu What is the best way to get into the nuclear industry? honeypot

Author Topic: What is the best way to get into the nuclear industry?  (Read 4579 times)

Offline cwieand

• Very Lite User
I Served three years in the Navy as a conventional MM on the USS Eisenhower, although I was a conventional MM I was In reactor department. I got out of the Navy A year ago and went straight to college. I'm in the energy production technology program at Lake Michigan College. I'm a little over halfway done with my associates degree. My disciplines of study are technician and operations. My GPA 3.2, I know it is not the greatest, I'm working on pulling it up. I have a three year old so I have to work fulltime and go to school fulltime. Not the easiest task. Now that I've given you my condensed nuclear background. What should be my next step to try to get in at a nuclear plant? Should I try to work some outages? If so, how do I go about working the outages? I would like to try to get into a Michigan plant as soon as possible. I put my resume out everytime I see an opening I feel I'm qualified for. I know I barely meet the requirements for a Jr position and that is why I'm trying to invest in myself to make my resume better. Any advice or suggestions you have will be appreciated. thank you

JustinHEMI05

Re: What is the best way to get into the nuclear industry?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2011, 11:42 »
You could apply for an NLO job right now.

Offline cwieand

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2011, 12:11 »
What can I do to better my chances of getting higher-ed as an NLO?

jowlman

« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2011, 03:07 »
I would suggest working through your school to try to get an internship. That would give you experience while working on finishing your education. It would also let you see different job at that plant to see which you would prefer. It would also let them see what you can do and put a face to your resume.

Be sure to let them proper people know that you are looking for full time employment.

Offline Bradtv

• Moderate User
  • NukeLurker
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2011, 11:43 »
Entergy (Palisades) and AEP (Cook) have stated something to the effect that they will not hire a person from the Lake Michigan College program without having finished the program.  It's possible they might over look that detail because of your Navy background, but I don't know.

If you plan on graduating in May or before the end of 2011, have you signed up for the scheduled POSS?  Normally you would have to get an invite from a Utility to take the POSS.  As a student of the program, you can schedule a slot to take the POSS with the results going to both Utilities.  Can't pass up that opportunity.  There will be one coming up shortly (registration deadline Feb 11), so get registered and study up if you'll be graduating this year.

The EPSA has also been doing good things.  I believe they scheduled the practice interviews with a Palisades Human Resources panel last month, giving out some great advice.  So, if you haven't already, get info on the EPSA events.
"Life is pleasant.  Death is peaceful.
It's the transition that's troublesome."  -Asimov

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?