Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Going to prototype  

Author Topic: Going to prototype  (Read 6288 times)

Offline wdp74gnt

• Very Lite User
Going to prototype
« on: Feb 08, 2011, 09:19 »
Hey everyone I will be heading off to prototype soon (mar 4th) in New York. I was wondering if anyone had any tips or bits of advice about that portion of the nuke training. I did decent in a-school and powerschool (3.5ish gpa and did average of 30ish hours a week) but that was more paperwork. I know this is more hands on. From what friends have told me it is more like going up to a chalkboard and dumping everything you know about a topic for a and standing watches on a 12 to 16 hour shift. Also you actually get to see the things you work on. (I am an MM) The people I have all talked to are just starting however.

Any advice or info on prototype would be greatly appreciated

Thanks.    :)

Offline JoshD1982

• Very Lite User
Re: Going to prototype
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2011, 10:20 »
Get yourself a whiteboard.  You will need to know how to draw every system at your prototype for your systems checkouts.  Memorize setpoints.  Spend a lot of time in the plant walking down systems.  As a mechanic, this is where you really need to be the best that you can be.  Because you can leave prototype as just a regular mechanic (ok) or you can become one of the elite (ELT).  I strongly suggest that when you do your checkouts with the ELT's you know your stuff cold so you can impress them.  Being a brown noser can get you qualified quickly but remember you have to pass an oral board.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2011, 10:53 »
One thing I can say for sure. Everyones experience is different. Your GPA from power school doesnt mean a thing. How you apply yourself and how you go about things really determines your abilities here.

1) Dont be shy. Get over that crap with a quickness if you are
2) DONT BE SHY!!! Talk to your instructors, they are there for a reason.
3) GO FIND MM1 Palmer. He will take care of you, hes a great guy and really smart. He was one of my counterpoints in the navy when I was in. He WILL take the time to teach you, any day of the week.
4) dont be afraid to get dirty during cleaning stations. Those coveralls are meant to get dirty.
5) Get some comfortable boots
6) resist the temptation to cheat on the computer tests (you will see!!!). I saw a LOT of kids get screwed hard because of that.
7) dont make an example of yourself. OR make an example of yourself. If you dont understand my point, then dont make waves
8) Those books arent a mystery, you need to learn to use them at some point, so why not now?

Hours are 12 hour days, I've never heard of 16 hour days at prototype.

driver8

« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2011, 04:13 »
I can only echo the sentiment..."Don't Be Shy"!!!

You have to be aggressive -- the instructors will not come to find you until you are already behind the curve!  Work hard, be on time, and do your best.  That is all that anyone can ask for.

I had to bust my hump to get through Nuke school and prototype, but I worked hard and my instructors saw that and helped me when they could. 

Good luck!

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2011, 06:56 »
Hey everyone I will be heading off to prototype soon (mar 4th) in New York. I was wondering if anyone had any tips or bits of advice about that portion of the nuke training. I did decent in a-school and powerschool (3.5ish gpa and did average of 30ish hours a week) but that was more paperwork. I know this is more hands on. From what friends have told me it is more like going up to a chalkboard and dumping everything you know about a topic for a and standing watches on a 12 to 16 hour shift. Also you actually get to see the things you work on. (I am an MM) The people I have all talked to are just starting however.

Any advice or info on prototype would be greatly appreciated

Thanks.    :)
Prototype in NY for most people when I was there was getting to work early enough to get on the top 3 for checkouts in cubes because they won't get past person #4 before it's time to go home, 6+ months of sitting in cubicles for 12 hours a day not being allowed to have any human interaction, followed by 1 month of U/I's, followed by 1 month of end-of-card's/board.

The upshot is Saratoga is a great town. Live within walking distance to Caroline St...you won't regret it, as long as you don't break the law.

There's really no gouge to be had other than the above and if you didn't get lookups during your checkouts, you studied too hard.

5) Get some comfortable boots
No longer applicable. Students wear NWU's at prototype NY, boots for NWU's must be purchased at the NEX, and the boots with coveralls have to be the same as the NWU boots, anyway.
« Last Edit: Feb 17, 2011, 07:27 by spekkio »

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2011, 07:20 »
Prototype in NY for most people when I was there was getting to work early enough to get on the top 3 for checkouts in cubes because they won't get past person #4 before it's time to go home, 6+ months of sitting in cubicles for 12 hours a day not being allowed to have any human interaction, followed by 1 month of U/I's, followed by 1 month of end-of-card's/board.

The upshot is Saratoga is a great town. Live within walking distance to Caroline St...you won't regret it, as long as you don't break the law.

There's really no gouge to be had other than the above and if you didn't get lookups during your checkouts, you studied too hard.
 No longer applicable. Students wear NWU's at prototype NY, boots for NWU's must be purchased at the NEX, and the boots with coveralls have to be the same as the NWU boots, anyway.

You can still get comfortable boots lol. And I would consider it a goal to have "studied too hard" then to get multiple lookups... Hard checkouts = easy boards. 100% of the time.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?