Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Advice for incoming NLO/EO/AO's? honeypot

Author Topic: Advice for incoming NLO/EO/AO's?  (Read 5024 times)

ski2313

Advice for incoming NLO/EO/AO's?
« on: Feb 12, 2011, 11:06 »
After working on a career change for two years, my efforts have finally come to fruition and I am joining the ranks of nuclear ops. The t's are crossed, and i's dotted, and my start date is in 2 weeks. My end game is an SRO license, and I will be learning as much as possible in the context of that career goal going forward. I know there is a wealth of knowledge here from all rungs of the Ops career ladder, and if you would be so inclined to share any tidbits of wisdom or guidance I would surely appreciate it! I think it goes without saying that there are others lurking here that would also find your advice useful... 

Thanks in advance!

-ski

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
Re: Advice for incoming NLO/EO/AO's?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2011, 11:45 »
Congratulations on your new position and welcome to OPS.

SRO huh? Well that's about 4-6 years away at mimimum so don't concern yourself too much with that. Getting thought of as a potential SRO candidate starts with your NLO performance and that begins Day 1.

I am not sure how your NLO training program is layed out so I will give you advice based on mine:

1. Establish good study habits early. I was only paid for 40 hrs M-F, but I routinely came in on weekends to study. Too many distractions at home so studying at work on my own time was my choice that worked for me. I started this habit during general fundementals (GF) and carried it all the way through systems.  

2. Learn the systems at the schematic level. One-line study guides are ok, but a weath of information can be learned via the real piping and electrical diagrams.

3. Walk down systems in the buildings. Most of the NLO job is knowing where stuff is. You will make a very good impression if you are seen out and about finding stuff.

4. Get used to being observed and interacting while being observed. You will be observed by management while conducting training and you will be observed after you're qualified performing building rounds and your field tasks. Get used to that and get used to being coached, critiqued, etc.

5. Step up and volunteer for jobs. Get out there and involve yourself with the many OPs related tasks. Some tests only come up quarterly, semi-annually, etc, so take the opportunity to see things you may not see again until one day you walk in and your name is beside some obscure bi-annual system test.

6. Ask questions and involve your experienced operators. Don't be afraid to not know something. I learn something new every day.

7. Don't fight the system. You will become familiar with how your company wants you to practice error free operations (Human Performance Tools, HU). Just do it. Don't exihibit the expected behaviors only when being observed, you will screw up eventually. Just operate according to management expectations. Its much easier.

8. Most important above all else. Attitude is everything!

Good luck,

An NLO/ILT candidate
« Last Edit: Feb 12, 2011, 11:53 by Smooth Operator »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2011, 05:01 »
He said it all. It will take some time to get to SRO, but with the right attitude and determination you will get there.

At both of my plants thus far, there was a cadre of NLO that sucked on sour grapes all day long. They did nothing except bitch and moan about every little task and every little alleged slight the company seemed to have against them, all while making 100k+ to surf the internet most of the day.

Don't fall into that group, that is my advice.

Good luck!

Justin
« Last Edit: Feb 12, 2011, 05:09 by JustinHEMI »

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2011, 05:13 »
I second Justin about the sour grapes crowd!

Its easy to become alienated if you are the super motivated happy guy and you happen to rub the bitter people the wrong way. In the end you will succeed.

It is very easy to allow yourself to lower your standards to get along with the bitter crowd.

Its a double edged sword because the bitter crowd is normally the senior crowd who you need to interact with to get qualified.

Try to avoid the drama and focus.

Offline broovy

• Very Lite User
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2011, 09:56 »
Those two couldn't have said it any better.

ski2313

« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2011, 11:09 »
Thanks guys... I've got this printed off and up on the wall in the office to keep me "on course".

chamberd

« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2011, 01:16 »
I printed this as well to keep me motivated into getting in.  Building the mindset early and studying NOW I hope will make the difference when I get an interview.  I would much rather learn something new ( especially hands on ) than surf the web any day... and BTW,  congrats ski....

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?