Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Questions about enlisted navy nuke application

Author Topic: Questions about enlisted navy nuke application  (Read 8766 times)

T0ne

Questions about enlisted navy nuke application
« on: Feb 13, 2011, 01:19 »
This is my first post and I am sure most of these questions have been already answered but this  is my current situation. I recently found out about the navy nuclear propulsion enlisted ratings and was very interested, went to my local recruiter and scored a 94 on my asvab. I'm currently 23 years old had a 3.4 gpa in high school with no d's or f's but after a year of college I only have a 2.6 gpa and currently taking precalculus. I have a misdemeanor for underage drinking that was reduced to disorderly conduct that I am currently getting a waiver for. My recruiter wants me to enlist in another rating and apply for a nuke contract while in DEP, this makes me rather nervous and want to know what my chances are of getting the enlisted nuke contract with the amount of people currently applying which I have heard is alot due to the economy."i am from the Philadelphia area". Also if I were to complete more college classes and raise my gpa would this make me more attractive to the program "my recruiter says it shouldn't matter but I have a feeling it will". I'm planning on taking calc1 during the summer and if I wait to sign calc2, physics with calc, and chem 101 during the fall. Anyone that can give me any guidence with my situation would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2011, 11:06 by T0ne »

andrewnavy

Re: Questions about navy nuke application
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2011, 01:56 »
If I were you, I would not sign up for any job that you did not want to do.  If you do and the nukes turn you down, you might have a few miserable years ahead of you.

Andrewnavy

Offline greenbean

• Moderate User
Re: Questions about navy nuke application
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2011, 10:08 »
I'll second the above comment, don't sign up for a job that you do not want to do. If you could get your grades up to a 3.3 or better you may even consider the NUPOC program and look at going in as an officer.

It would take a lot of work on your part to get some good A's and you would need to finish Cal 1 and 2 as well as Calculus based physics 1 and 2. However if you made A's in those 4 classes and got the GPR up then you could apply for a SUB/SWO(N) spot.

The NUPOC program would pay you an E-6 rate +BAH and BAS and give you up to 2 1/2 years to complete your degree before going to serve as an officer.

30hrs at 2.6 GPA + 30 hrs at 4.0 GPR would put you at a ~3.3 average GPA over 60 hrs of college credit. Are you willing to work for it?
neutrons... Neutrons... NEUTRONS!

Offline rocco787

• Shenanigans
  • Light User
Re: Questions about enlisted navy nuke application
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2011, 05:57 »
If the only thing going against you is one charge, then your chances of getting an approved waiver are very good, especially since you are currently taking college level math.

How did you do on the ASVAB...I saw you got 94 but that really means nothing...what were your line scores?...specifically...did you auto-qual for the program(252 on NUC or EL portions)?

Did your recruiter make sure to have you fill out a statement on why you want the nuke program?

As for picking another job...It saves time not having to bring you back down to MEPS when and if your waiver gets approved.  I will agree with the above mentioned statements on "dont pick a job you dont want"...BUT...make your own decision...how bad is your current living situation...do you need to get out of where you are and start your own life?

Picking a job and then "reclassing" to Nuke happens more than half the time...so they're not trying to trick you, its pretty standard procedure.

As for the NUPOC thing...your GPA needs to be closer to a 3.5 or 3.6...if you wanna know more then just tell you recruiter you want to speak to an officer recruiter.

Good luck.

T0ne

« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2011, 09:39 »
Thank you for your feedback. I am really only interested in the enlisted ratings I do not have the resources to finish a bachelors degree. As for my line scores I do not know exactly how I did only that the chief at my recruiters office told me I auto qualified and had no need to take the NAPT. My recruiter does have me writing a statement as too why I want to enlist in a nuclear rating and also they required three professional letters of recommendation. I have the three letters of recommendation written by a police officer from the city I live in who is a retired army officer, the chief engineer at the hotel I am currently employed at " I am the assistant engineer pretty much a skilled maintenance man", and from the general manager of the hotel.

As for other charges I have a couple of parking tickets and speeding tickets that were reduced to non-point traffic citations. My recruiter told me it's not if I get a waiver but when. One Thing that is of concern to me is my credit. I was told to Check my credit by my recruiter and I found I had three medical bills which went to collection that I was unaware of. I paid the bills in full and received proof of payment as requested from my recruiter. My main concern is that they are rushing me to enlist at MEPS then put in for a nuke contract. Would me waiting to enlist until after a semester or two of college help my chances of getting the nuke contract as of right now my math level is precalculus but if I were to wait until after fall semester to enlist I would be able to complete calc1, calc2, and physics 1 with calc.    

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2011, 05:03 »
Thank you for your feedback. I am really only interested in the enlisted ratings I do not have the resources to finish a bachelors degree. As for my line scores I do not know exactly how I did only that the chief at my recruiters office told me I auto qualified and had no need to take the NAPT. My recruiter does have me writing a statement as too why I want to enlist in a nuclear rating and also they required three professional letters of recommendation. I have the three letters of recommendation written by a police officer from the city I live in who is a retired army officer, the chief engineer at the hotel I am currently employed at " I am the assistant engineer pretty much a skilled maintenance man", and from the general manager of the hotel.

As for other charges I have a couple of parking tickets and speeding tickets that were reduced to non-point traffic citations. My recruiter told me it's not if I get a waiver but when. One Thing that is of concern to me is my credit. I was told to Check my credit by my recruiter and I found I had three medical bills which went to collection that I was unaware of. I paid the bills in full and received proof of payment as requested from my recruiter. My main concern is that they are rushing me to enlist at MEPS then put in for a nuke contract. Would me waiting to enlist until after a semester or two of college help my chances of getting the nuke contract as of right now my math level is precalculus but if I were to wait until after fall semester to enlist I would be able to complete calc1, calc2, and physics 1 with calc.    

Dude, if I can get in you can get in... lol  If you are dead set on enlisting, id actually recommend you lay off the math for a while. Physics maybe, but when you are in school you MUST do the math THEIR way, and if you are dead set on doing things "your way" you will be forced to brain dump and relearn everything, which seemed difficult for some of the college people I went through the program with.

From what I've seen your 2.6 gpa isnt worth while for joining any officer program, much less NUPOC. Maybe in the army???

But good luck either way.

T0ne

« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2011, 09:44 »
I'm just rather nervous and wanted to know the chances of getting the enlisted nuke contract with my situation and the current spike in navy enlisted joining and resigning due to the economy. Feeling really rushed from the recruiters and I don't want to sign for a rating that I don't end up enjoying just have my heart set on any nuke rating and wanted to know what I can do to make myself look more attractive to the program.

Offline NuclearWaste

• Light User
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2011, 09:08 »
When I first entered DEP I had to wait over a full month before I signed my nuclear contract, and I didn't need wavers for anything.  I would be cautious of what recruiters say, as I've heard some stories.  However, my recruiter has always been professional and respectable.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?