Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Navy recruiter

Author Topic: Navy recruiter  (Read 5304 times)

LoveTheNuke

Navy recruiter
« on: Feb 17, 2011, 08:19 »
If you have been following my posts, I have gotten my debt out of collections. Now the recruiter says I need a nuke waiver. I said alright what do i need to do? He tells me That I have to join first and then he can get me a waiver. I know that this isnt true. Once I told him I either want or nothing, he got upset. He said he could easily give the job away. I understand how I came off but it's six years of my life. My father wasn't born here but he is a citizen and a Lt. Colonel in the Army. My mother wasn't born here either but she is also a citizen. I understand that I need a waiver.
How hard is it to get a waiver?
If my recruiter decides not to help me can I choose another recruiter without it affecting me negatively?
Thanks in Advance
TJ

Offline 072123

• Lurker
Re: Navy recruiter
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2011, 11:02 »
I am currently in DEP so I can't offer any advice on specifics but I can give you my story.

You asked about changing your rating in DEP and it depends on how much you trust your recruiter.  I found mine to be incredibly professional and responsible.  I enlisted to the Navy while at away at college.  There were no female slots open when I went to MEPs so I signed under the AECF job. In addition, my waivers (academic and a couple other ones) were still not officially cleared. A week later, I moved 500 miles back home with my parents.  My recruiter “promised” to switch me to nuke the following month. Thankfully, he was a man of his word and I am now scheduled to ship June 2011.  ;D However, I can tell you that I was a ball of nerves for a couple of weeks.  The most important thing was that I REALLY wanted nuke but I could live being in the AECF job.  It's completely up you but be ready to deal with the consequences. I'm sure there are plenty of horror stories involving promised jobs never given.

I have no idea what would happen if you got (or requested) a new recruiter.   

On a side note, both my natural parents are immigrants. In fact, my birth father was deported for committing a felony.   But keep in mind that waivers are looked on a case by case basis. (Info from my recruiter)

Offline NapoleonMikey

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2011, 11:22 »
Coming from second hand experience, one of the girls in our DEP pool was originally at another station closer to wear she lived. After finding she didnt like the recruiters there she decided to try at out station. She has not experienced any problems. Just be honest about why you want to switch recruiters, because the new recruiter will most likely call the other station and get the story from them too and see why you left. At least mine did when I left the Air Force recruiter next door to mine because he was lazy, and decided to go Navy instead.

And if Nuke is what you want and nothing else, I would recommend not DEPing in under another job. Its what I did. My recruiter told me that it would be a wait for a nuke slot to open up and if i wanted I could DEP in under another job. I told him id wait and after 2 months of waiting around he finally got me a spot. Just be patient is all I can recommend.

In the north Florida area there's 14 guys waiting to DEP in for nuke and only about 3 slots open a month at the moment is what they are telling us right now. I'm sure the situation is similar all over.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2011, 07:15 »
If you have been following my posts, I have gotten my debt out of collections. Now the recruiter says I need a nuke waiver. I said alright what do i need to do? He tells me That I have to join first and then he can get me a waiver. I know that this isnt true. Once I told him I either want or nothing, he got upset. He said he could easily give the job away. I understand how I came off but it's six years of my life. My father wasn't born here but he is a citizen and a Lt. Colonel in the Army. My mother wasn't born here either but she is also a citizen. I understand that I need a waiver.
How hard is it to get a waiver?
If my recruiter decides not to help me can I choose another recruiter without it affecting me negatively?
Thanks in Advance
TJ

You sound like you have the right idea. DO NOT SIGN CONTRACTS FOR ANYTHING until your waiver clears. That may take a while, but its not your problem. Sounds too much like a bait and switch routine to me. He may be low on his quota. To me this is what Im hearing "Sign this contract that says you will go nuke, but if your waiver doesnt go through, you still enlist as job X". If your waiver doesnt go through, then bam, you still signed a contract to go in.

We have a recruiter here that will provide a much better answer, so I'll let the resident expert have his say. Smart on you to wait and ask around, so heres you first bravo zulu.

T0ne

« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2011, 08:52 »
I'm pretty much in the same situation you are in. I need a waiver to be elligable for a nuke rating. My recruiter wants me to do the same thing but here is some information I have gathered. It is not uncommon to enlist in a different rating then reclass into a nuke rating probably more then half of nuke contracts are given this way. From what I understand the navy does not give nuke waivers unless you are enlisted in a rating and in DEP, not the same as regular waivers. Ur recruiter isn't trying to trick you because if you don't receive the nuke contract you can always cancel your enlisted contract before Your reswear in before bootcamp without any legal problems do not let anyone tell you u can't.

Best of luck maybe I'll see you in Goose Creek!
Anthony

Offline NuclearWaste

• Light User
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2011, 08:31 »
I would agree and disagree with you in some situations.  After being sworn in and taking the ASVAB/NAPT it took over a month in order for me to get ahold of a nuclear contract. (Including being sworn in and taking a different job at MEPS.) However, I did have some faith in my recruiter and he proved himself by getting that contract in order.  I do trust my recruiter, but I can't say the same for all of them.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?