Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu What's the average age of an SRO?

Author Topic: What's the average age of an SRO?  (Read 10500 times)

Offline mike78756

• Light User
What's the average age of an SRO?
« on: Feb 25, 2011, 11:05 »
What's the average age of new SRO's? What's the youngest you've seen?

JustinHEMI05

Re: What's the average age of an SRO?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2011, 11:29 »
Youngest I saw was 27 at my last plant, was a 6 and out navy sub ET. However, in my current class, there is a 24 year old ,green behind the ears, year out of college engineer.

Average? No idea. I am guessing in the 40s or so.
« Last Edit: Feb 25, 2011, 11:30 by JustinHEMI »

Fermi2

« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2011, 02:42 »
Does it matter?

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2011, 10:07 »
Oh I wasn't referring to your comment my man! I was referring to the initial question.

Offline mike78756

• Light User
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2011, 07:51 »
Oh, it matters.  :)

Marssim: I feel you understood more how my question was intended. It was just a talking point. I'm 22 and looking at the SSS-IT so I was curious as to how young you guys have been seeing the younger crowd acquire theSRO status.   8)

Offline mike78756

• Light User
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2011, 08:29 »
Thanks for your input too Justin, are you an instructor now or currently in a class?

Fermi2

« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2011, 11:00 »
Oh, it matters.  :)

Marssim: I feel you understood more how my question was intended. It was just a talking point. I'm 22 and looking at the SSS-IT so I was curious as to how young you guys have been seeing the younger crowd acquire theSRO status.   8)

No age has nothing to do with it. At the minimum it's 3 years AFTER you get a job as an engineer at a plant.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2011, 11:04 »
Thanks for your input too Justin, are you an instructor now or currently in a class?

I was a previously licensed SRO at Peach Bottom and I am currently earning my SRO license at Beaver Valley.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2011, 11:05 »
No age has nothing to do with it. At the minimum it's 3 years AFTER you get a job as an engineer at a plant.

^^THIS is why I don't understand how that kid in my class is there. He said something about counting his intern time. I don't know all the rules involved, but when he told me he'd been in engineering only a year, I scratched my head.
« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2011, 11:07 by JustinHEMI »

Fermi2

« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2011, 11:11 »
Intern time counts. The key is you actually have to be at the plant for 3 years. i'm certain region 2 would not let the guy go up for a license. they shot down one of our guys who had 3 years but it was at corporate. in any event he can get the license but the nrc will hold it until he meets the requisite time.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #10 on: Feb 26, 2011, 11:13 »
Intern time counts. The key is you actually have to be at the plant for 3 years. i'm certain region 2 would not let the guy go up for a license. they shot down one of our guys who had 3 years but it was at corporate. in any event he can get the license but the nrc will hold it until he meets the requisite time.

Gotcha, yeah I guess they are counting his year on site, his 6ish months of intern, and time on degree. Anyway, it will be interesting to see how he does in the simulator and simply filling the supervisory roll. He seems smart enough, but he did fail the first reactor theory exam, been fine since.

Fermi2

« Reply #11 on: Feb 26, 2011, 11:17 »
yeah usually the first exam or 2 is a killer for an engineer as no one is holding their hand anymore.

when i got to tva they realized i didn't have the 6 months onsite so they literally disenrolled me when i went on vacation or during outages when our training stopped. i was still going to be about 2 weeks short but based on my previous license the nrc said never mind.

btw it's the simulator that always reaps the initial wheat from the chaff.

Nuclear Renaissance

« Reply #12 on: Feb 26, 2011, 05:52 »
^^THIS is why I don't understand how that kid in my class is there. He said something about counting his intern time. I don't know all the rules involved, but when he told me he'd been in engineering only a year, I scratched my head.

ACAD requires 3 years responsible nuclear plant experience, but will allow up to 2 years of ABET engineering curricula to count toward that.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #13 on: Feb 26, 2011, 06:30 »
ACAD requires 3 years responsible nuclear plant experience, but will allow up to 2 years of ABET engineering curricula to count toward that.

Thank you for the information!

Offline mike78756

• Light User
« Reply #14 on: Feb 27, 2011, 10:59 »
At SNC the degree gives 18 of the 36 month experience. My reference is the lead instructor for SRO training at the plant I'm going for so hopefully they'll give me an interview. Plus I'm pretty sure I'm the only new grad that took and passed the MASS/POSS since I appeared to be the youngest in the room by 10 to 15 years. I did a lot of research on the APx10^3 and he and I discussed my knowledge which is why he recommended me for the position. The real reason why I'm overly inquisitive.

MacGyver

« Reply #15 on: Feb 27, 2011, 03:39 »
At SNC the degree gives 18 of the 36 month experience. My reference is the lead instructor for SRO training at the plant I'm going for so hopefully they'll give me an interview. Plus I'm pretty sure I'm the only new grad that took and passed the MASS/POSS since I appeared to be the youngest in the room by 10 to 15 years. I did a lot of research on the APx10^3 and he and I discussed my knowledge which is why he recommended me for the position. The real reason why I'm overly inquisitive.

It's not SNC (,that can grant it on its own,) it's the current ACAD standard to give that credit.

Offline mike78756

• Light User
« Reply #16 on: Feb 27, 2011, 03:54 »
Yeah you're right, the paper I have has that at the top I believe. It a handout listing the qualifications of a "trainable or non-trainiable SRO" My mistake for missing that.  :)

MacGyver

« Reply #17 on: Feb 27, 2011, 07:04 »
Yeah you're right, the paper I have has that at the top I believe. It a handout listing the qualifications of a "trainable or non-trainiable SRO" My mistake for missing that.  :)

I am not saying you had to be wrong.  Just pointing out that it is industry wide mandate.  You did not make a mistake in-as-much as I was clearly presenting by what authority it (re: experience requirements for education) is given.  As you grow in the industry it will be all too clear as to all the in's and out's of the job.

It is a wide open career for the younger generation right now.  And, a few of us old(er) folks.

May your opportunities be plentiful.

Mac

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?