Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Not a nuke going for STA-21 honeypot

Author Topic: Not a nuke going for STA-21  (Read 24880 times)

agale

Not a nuke going for STA-21
« on: Mar 28, 2011, 10:43 »
Hi there,

First, some info about me:
I'm a 23 yr old, female, CTI3, 2.5 years in the navy. Prior to the navy, I graduated high school early because I had maxed out the local math program, but with a low GPA of 2.7. I went to college at 16, majored in Mathematics and Astrophysics. Dropped out at 18. GPA was 2.4 maybe? I was a math whiz through highschool, and always intended to get a bachelors, and probably masters in math, but I was way too young, and I realized I wasn't ready to go that route. Travelled for a few years, wandering aimlessly and such, enlisted, almost signed on as a nuke, but decided I still wasn't ready to get back into math, though it is still my passion. Instead, elected to learn a foreign language.

After enlisting, I hit the ground running. RPCO in basic, then off to DLI where I eventually graduated top of my class, maxed out scores in Arabic and Iraqi dialect (unheard of), and received the army achievement medal and DLI commandants award. Then went on to our C-school, where I again graduated top of the class. Currently blazing through my work, numerous collateral duties, all that good stuff.

So, here's the thing, I think finally I'm ready to get back into math. I'm actually eager to start finishing up my degree, and I feel I've finally learned enough discipline etc to really get something out of it. I'm applying for the STA-21 program currently, and I personally feel I'd be best suited to the Nuke field. I know that I can't actually apply for it directly since I'm not already in the nuclear pipeline, however, I've been led to believe that I could get accepted to the CORE option, then prove myself and possibly select nuke, assuming I meet all the other prerequisites. So first, if anyone could confirm that, excellent.

Second, should I not go Nuke, I still feel like I'm someone best suited for the nuke field, and as such, I'm curious what your suggestions for other fields might be. I'm currently in the crypto field, so that's an option. But I'm not really in love with my job. I've also considered going into the intelligence field, as it's similar to what I already do, but with a broader scope. I've also looked into possibly oceanography, as at least that would involve a more scientific/technical job probably? I'm really unsure. I do believe I'd make an excellent officer, so even if I can't go nuke, which I believe is my most natural place, I'd still like to serve in whatever my capacity I can, and preferably in a field that takes better advantage of my abilities than my current work does.

So any advice regarding how become a nuke officer through STA-21, or failling that, where a person like me might best be suited would be very appreciated...

Cycoticpenguin

Re: Not a nuke going for STA-21
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2011, 07:24 »
To be crass, you have zero idea of what being qualified to be a nuke means, so you dont really have a ground to state youre a "perfect match". You really need to speak to some officers before you make the switch. JO's get treated pretty badly and their work loads are enormous. If you think you are going to be sitting in a comfy office crunching numbers all day, you have another thing coming. That said, the rewards are enormous for being a nuke officer, both while commissioned and when you get out. Gamecock is our resident officer, im sure he will chime in and assist you.

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2011, 08:01 »
I'd recommend looking here:

http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=52950

From the last paragraph of the article:

"The most accurate STA-21 program information, including full details of the program, specifics for each of the program options and the on-line application, can be found on the STA-21 website at https://www.sta-21.navy.mil/. Additionally, OPNAVINST 1420.1B (Chap. 8) and associated NAVADMIN messages provide the directive guidance for the program. "

As a future officer, it would behoove you to always seek out the source documents.

Hope this helps.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

agale

« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2011, 09:09 »
To be crass, you have zero idea of what being qualified to be a nuke means, so you dont really have a ground to state youre a "perfect match". You really need to speak to some officers before you make the switch. JO's get treated pretty badly and their work loads are enormous. If you think you are going to be sitting in a comfy office crunching numbers all day, you have another thing coming. That said, the rewards are enormous for being a nuke officer, both while commissioned and when you get out. Gamecock is our resident officer, im sure he will chime in and assist you.

Ok, to both Charlie Murphy and DDMurray, could we assume that I am a very competent individual who has checked her available resources, published or otherwise? You attempt at help is appreciated, but sorry if I feel offended at your assumptions of my ineptitude...

I'm not looking for regulations, I'm looking for experiences. Has anyone known someone to go from enlisted to nuke officer, without having gone the nuke-enlisted route? Or, have any nukes gone into any other officer fields that they found to be rewarding? Anything along those lines....

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Mar 28, 2011, 09:57 »
Ok, to both Charlie Murphy and DDMurray, could we assume that I am a very competent individual who has checked her available resources, published or otherwise? You attempt at help is appreciated, but sorry if I feel offended at your assumptions of my ineptitude...

agale: you have to realize that there are some here that only know negative responses, particularly with a new question.  However, if you really have the desire try for Nuke, go for it.  Since you are now in crypto the military may have some objections, since that is also a very needed path.  You might also think about weapons systems or other paths thst require the math ability.

The other thing to keep in mind is what does it do for me when I get out!  Crypto, pretty much keeps you in the goverment employment.  Nuke opens up a whole different world.
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #5 on: Mar 28, 2011, 10:25 »

I'm not looking for regulations, I'm looking for experiences. Has anyone known someone to go from enlisted to nuke officer, without having gone the nuke-enlisted route? Or, have any nukes gone into any other officer fields that they found to be rewarding? Anything along those lines....

Um, last time I checked you havent gone through the nuke program like me and murray, and you dont have any applicable experience, so no you are not "competent", at least not in the nuke field. You asked questions, and we gave advice pertinent to your situation. Good luck "ms. attitude".

agale: you have to realize that there are some here that only know negative responses, particularly with a new question.  However, if you really have the desire try for Nuke, go for it.  Since you are now in crypto the military may have some objections, since that is also a very needed path.  You might also think about weapons systems or other paths thst require the math ability.

please explain how mine or murrays responses were in any way shape or form "negative"?
« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2011, 10:27 by Charlie Murphy »

Offline navynukedoc

• RP/HP/RC
  • Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: Mar 28, 2011, 11:38 »
I am not one for being rude, but if your math is as staggered as your iron forhead (not literally of course) you may have an issue with getting into NPS. With that said, I don't think the responses were negative, maybe a TAD arrogant, but by no means negative.

And so you know, a crypto will not go nuke officer without going enlisted nuke first. Only other way I know you would is getting out at your EAOS, and completing a masters degree in an advanced science field (physics, mathematical engineering with some focus on nuclear power.)

And remember, the people on here are either prior military, or are current AD. So watch how you offend, this website is the largest community of Nuke workers (henceforth the domain name). Whoever's cheerios you pi$$ in on here could be your boss by the time you "catch up".

And Charlie, be nice to the ladies in here, they already have it rough being in the military as it is!
"Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence" - George Washington

andrewnavy

« Reply #7 on: Mar 29, 2011, 04:44 »
Agale:  You come off as very arrogant.  It turns out that for a nuke officer, your math skills will diminish throughout your tenure due to the fact that the math you do use is really spelled out for.  I think you might get bored.  From your post, you seem to do less than stellar when it comes to something that bores you.  I think you will have a hard time getting the nuke thing based on previous scholastic endeavors that you mentioned in your post.  You will have a lot of explaining to do for that period of your life.  There are lots of ways you could go with crypto that will be challenging if you are into it.  I think your road will be hard to get there but do not let people tell you can't.  It turns out that it comes down to what one admiral thinks.

P.S.  Competency is not measured by grades. Competency is this case would have been to come into this situation with humility and take whatever knowledge is given to you with a smile. Remember, they are helping you out.  It is no skin off anyones back to watch you drown if you whine about the info that is given to you.  Then again crypto's second most proficient language is whining followed closly by crying : :P
« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2011, 04:50 by andrewnavy »

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #8 on: Mar 29, 2011, 07:52 »

And so you know, a crypto will not go nuke officer without going enlisted nuke first. Only other way I know you would is getting out at your EAOS, and completing a masters degree in an advanced science field (physics, mathematical engineering with some focus on nuclear power.)

WRONG!!!!  Do not speak about things that you do not know.  Anyone can go nuclear officer from  "CORE" STA-21.  The process is essentially the same as it is for everyone.  You come to DC for an interview roughly one year prior to commissioning.  (Even STA-21 nuke options have to come to DC and pass the interview).

Now, all that being said, I have seen very few prior enlisted non-nuclear folks that became nuclear offciers that were good nuclear officers.  I can only think of only 2 out of the eleven I served with over the years. 

To the OP, if you have any specific questions, send me a PM.  I promise not to be jackass like some people on here.

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

agale

« Reply #9 on: Mar 29, 2011, 09:14 »
Well, thank you for all the replies. Yes, I'm probably arrogant, I'm sorry.

Anyway, a couple notes:
-you don't have to go nice on me cause I'm a female.
-I'm uninterested on how my navy career will affect my civilian career afterwards. The job I intend to do after the navy will have little to do with the nuke or crypto field. My goal is just to make the most of my time in, however long that is.
-I'm not afraid of hard work

As for what it takes to be a nuke officer, I know there are other threads on here regarding that, many of which I have read. Right now, I'm trying to figure out how best to go about becoming one from my situation. For instance, when I choose my school and education route, would it be best/necessary to act as if I was in the nuke program?

And also for the STA-21 program you're expected to explain your field choice. Since I can't choose Nuke, anything else I choose I'm not particularly passionate about, so I'm afraid of coming off as unenthusiastic. So my question regarding that is, should I choose the CORE option, and explain my aspirations to go nuke? or choose a different field, (crypto, intel... etc) in order to have better chances of being picked up?

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 29, 2011, 09:44 »
Well, thank you for all the replies. Yes, I'm probably arrogant, I'm sorry.

Without a healthy ego and a thick skin you would have a rough road to travel. You have a good start.  +K

Nukeworker can be Curmudgeons-R-Us at times  :old:

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #11 on: Mar 29, 2011, 09:50 »

Now, all that being said, I have seen very few prior enlisted non-nuclear folks that became nuclear offciers that were good nuclear officers.  I can only think of only 2 out of the eleven I served with over the years.  

last time i checked, all DLO's were non nuclear folks that became nuclear "offciers", what does nec matter besides being circumstantial?
« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2011, 09:56 by Charlie Murphy »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #12 on: Mar 29, 2011, 09:59 »
CM,

You need to learn to pick battles. You are a jack of all trades, a master of none. Let the experts provide factual advice as your anecdotal advice is often wrong and hardly applies to the questions being asked. I am not sure why you feel the need to reply to every question posed here at NW, but I suggest you think twice before hitting the "post" button. I am not a moderator, and this is off topic, but seriously, every thread you post in degenerates into a "me vs them" smite fest and it is tiresome.

Justin

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #13 on: Mar 29, 2011, 11:14 »
OP: Just so you know, as a SWO-N (surface nuke officer) only about half of your commands will be nuke billets. You'll go to a small boy first for a DO (Division Officer) tour, then through NPS/NPTU, then to a carrier DO tour to get your certification as a nuke officer. Most of DOs got out at that point, a couple got some cool shore duty first, and a few stay in and go back to a carrier for a PA tour (comperable to Department Head). If you're enjoying what you do now, why not become an Intel or Crypto officer?

agale

« Reply #14 on: Mar 29, 2011, 11:32 »
OP: Just so you know, as a SWO-N (surface nuke officer) only about half of your commands will be nuke billets. You'll go to a small boy first for a DO (Division Officer) tour, then through NPS/NPTU, then to a carrier DO tour to get your certification as a nuke officer. Most of DOs got out at that point, a couple got some cool shore duty first, and a few stay in and go back to a carrier for a PA tour (comperable to Department Head). If you're enjoying what you do now, why not become an Intel or Crypto officer?

Well, to be honest, I don't enjoy the work I do now, hence my desire to leave the field. I am very good at it though, and as such I've been informed I will not have certain opportunities available to me as it's a very in-demand field. Now, as an officer, the work I would do is definitely different, but I'm fairly certain I don't want to stay in crypto, intel is, however, a possibility.

Also, another reason I may not want to go into either of those fields is because I believe I would like to go for some variety of SWO. Intel and Crypto are both SDOs, which I don't think I want to be.
« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2011, 12:09 by agale »

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #15 on: Mar 29, 2011, 11:33 »
Well, now that we are off-topic, let me paraphrase;

...............he has no clue about an officer background, about the navy officer experience, about being an officer now, or anything close to relevant. He was enlisted, not an officer, and he ate on the messdecks in the navy, not in the wardroom. He never wore khaki, he never had a fitrep, he had evals. For him to assume what it entails to be an officer is asinine......

No need to argue subjective thoughts, that's not a debate, that's a cat fight.

I'm just saying,....... :P :P ;) ;) :) :),.... 8)

Nothing I said was subjective, and you have as much experience being an officer as I do.  Point moot? Nothing I have stated has been officer experience, however, I do have PLENTY of relevant experience working hand in hand with plenty of nuke officers. So your point was???

MacGyver

« Reply #16 on: Mar 29, 2011, 11:49 »

No need to argue subjective thoughts, that's not a debate, that's a cat fight.

I'm just saying,....... :P :P ;) ;) :) :),.... 8)

Nothing I said was subjective, and you have as much experience being an officer as I do.  Point moot? Nothing I have stated has been officer experience, however, I do have PLENTY of relevant experience working hand in hand with plenty of nuke officers. So your point was???

Toooooooo late

:P :P :P  Cat fight it is  :P :P :P
« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2011, 12:10 by MacGyver »

MacGyver

« Reply #17 on: Mar 29, 2011, 01:14 »
My vote is "Cat Fight for 1000 Alex" ....  [whistle] [whistle] [whistle] [whistle] [whistle]
 :P :P :P
« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2011, 01:15 by MacGyver »

drayer54

« Reply #18 on: Mar 29, 2011, 02:06 »
To be crass, you have zero idea of what being qualified to be a nuke means, so you don't really have a ground to state you're a "perfect match". You really need to speak to some officers before you make the switch. JO's get treated pretty badly and their work loads are enormous. If you think you are going to be sitting in a comfy office crunching numbers all day, you have another thing coming. That said, the rewards are enormous for being a nuke officer, both while commissioned and when you get out. Gamecock is our resident officer, im sure he will chime in and assist you.
Why is it so difficult to just accept her claim to be a good fit and educational desire as someone who is motivated and possibly could be good candidate? She knows she has no nuclear experience, thats why she is here looking for advice! You probably thought you were a perfect match for the job when you were a dumb dep'er or in the pipeline. You didn't know either and mini-blasting her from the get go doesn't do anyone any good. She has also clearly done some research already if she has found her way into a post on NW. I think your "auto blast" mentality needs to simmer down.
 If you are going to help people, then actually help them. I do know that being a nuke enlisted is in no way a pre-req for nuke STA-21 options. I also know that the process, once selected is going to be just like if you were a nuke enlisted, meaning it will not have mattered as you would still do the interview and the pipeline. You would still have to do the same training and meet the same requirements. It is not common for people to go down this route, but it has been done before.Don't let people discourage you if this what you really want. I would imagine the officers on-board your current ship/command might be able to get you some good contacts on this? good luck to you and don't let blogs or message boards be your final reference. DDMurray had some links that would be a good start. He was right about using source documents, if you are indeed a "perfect match" :P
« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2011, 03:49 by drayer54 »

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
« Reply #19 on: Mar 29, 2011, 07:08 »

I've known the following types of enlisted to officers:
-Surface ELT, picked up for MECP, now on the White House medical staff
-Nuke EM, STA-21 Core, now a pliot
-Sub RM, STA-21, now a non-nuke surface officer
-Sub non-nuke IC1, picked up STA-21 (or similar pre-STA-21 program), now a nuke sub officer

All these guys wanted to better themselves and be leaders.  If I had it to do over again, I would have applied for every officer program I was eligible for.  I don't think a love of math will convince an officer selection board to pick you and I don't think being good at math for math's sake will make you a good officer or even a good nuke.   However, your performance so far in the navy demonstrates your potential for future success.   

« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2011, 09:17 by DDMurray »
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Offline navynukedoc

• RP/HP/RC
  • Heavy User
« Reply #20 on: Mar 29, 2011, 07:23 »
WRONG!!!!  Do not speak about things that you do not know.  Anyone can go nuclear officer from  "CORE" STA-21.  The process is essentially the same as it is for everyone.  You come to DC for an interview roughly one year prior to commissioning.  (Even STA-21 nuke options have to come to DC and pass the interview).
Cheers,
GC

Obviously you do??

Quote : Enlisted Source: Due to the high priority of nuclear officer recruiting, a specific number of STA-21 seats are reserved for enlisted personnel who have successfully completed or are enrolled in the nuclear power training pipeline. The only applicants eligible to apply for this option are those who are currently:

a.enrolled in Naval Nuclear Power School (NAVNUPWRSCOL) or Naval Nuclear Power Training Unit (NAVNUPWRTRAU); or
b.assigned to NAVNUPWRTRAU or Fleet Interactive Display Equipment (FIDE) Trainer as staff pickup instructors or sea returnee instructors.

From - https://www.sta-21.navy.mil/program_options.asp
"Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence" - George Washington

shocker

« Reply #21 on: Mar 29, 2011, 09:42 »
Incoming Foot in Mouth :-)

Core is a (usually) secondary option to pick for STA-21.  In other words, you apply for STA-21's Pilot/Nuke/Oceanography option, and also for the CORE option.  If picked up for the core option, rather than your primary, you complete a degree and in your junior/senior year you apply for the field you will go into (including nuke).  Anyone in the Navy (eligible for STA-21) can be selected for the CORE option.  Only students and staff at one of the commands listed can apply for the Primary Nuke option.

radbrat

« Reply #22 on: Mar 30, 2011, 01:08 »
Toooooooo late

:P :P :P  Cat fight it is  :P :P :P   100 quatloos on the white cat!!!

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #23 on: Mar 30, 2011, 07:23 »
Obviously you do??

Quote : Enlisted Source: Due to the high priority of nuclear officer recruiting, a specific number of STA-21 seats are reserved for enlisted personnel who have successfully completed or are enrolled in the nuclear power training pipeline. The only applicants eligible to apply for this option are those who are currently:

a.enrolled in Naval Nuclear Power School (NAVNUPWRSCOL) or Naval Nuclear Power Training Unit (NAVNUPWRTRAU); or
b.assigned to NAVNUPWRTRAU or Fleet Interactive Display Equipment (FIDE) Trainer as staff pickup instructors or sea returnee instructors.

From - https://www.sta-21.navy.mil/program_options.asp

What you quote above is correct for "nuke" option only.  Only folks that are at one of the training commands can apply for "Nuke" Option.

However, "nuke" option isn't the only way someone in STA-21 can become a nuke officer.  Folks in the "core" program can apply to become nuclear officers as they get  closer to graduation and commissioning.

Cheers,
GC

“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Yaeger

• Light User
« Reply #24 on: Apr 02, 2011, 12:27 »
-I'm uninterested on how my navy career will affect my civilian career afterwards. The job I intend to do after the navy will have little to do with the nuke or crypto field. My goal is just to make the most of my time in, however long that is.

You're not 18 years old looking to do something, anything, after high school. When planning your degree program and career path afterwards (something like 8 years of your near future) that you might hate even more than what you're doing now.. well, you need to be sure.

As a prior-enlisted sub nuke and a current SWO, I've seen the majority of the enlisted nukes (outside of the pipeline) that get picked up for an officer program will choose to get out of the nuclear program.

I don't know what "make the most of my time in" means. Maybe if you could clarify your long-term goals we could help ya a little better pick a good career path.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?