Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Switched from non-nuke to nuke during DEP? honeypot

Author Topic: Switched from non-nuke to nuke during DEP?  (Read 11036 times)

Offline crewjobs_too

• Light User
Switched from non-nuke to nuke during DEP?
« on: Mar 31, 2011, 12:32 »

Can anyone in the forum recall a recent case, say in the last few years, where someone wanting to become a nuke was convinced to sign a DEP contract in a non-nuclear field, and then successfully switched to nuke during DEP, i.e. before going active duty?

I remember browsing threads in this forum where people asked about signing a DEP contract in non-nuclear field with the promise/enticement/wishful thinking that a nuke contract is "coming". The universal advice was "don't sign it, unless it says nuke".   But has entering DEP as a non-nuke ever paid off for someone who wanted to become a nuke?  I lost track of the  old threads where this topic came up in the past and cannot recall a case where the original poster later replied that he actually got his wish.  Thanks.

Dad of a 22 year old ETN.

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
Re: Switched from non-nuke to nuke during DEP?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31, 2011, 01:19 »
I couldn't call myself a Nukeworker member if I didn't chastise you for not searching for the answer on your own.

Do a search.

Now that that's over, I found these, which I believe fit the criteria. I've tried looking up info like this in the past and the problem you'll run into here is you'll find tons of people who ask the questions, but a very few people who come back to let everybody know how it turned out. Sucks, I know.  :-\
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,13423.0.html
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,14939.0.html
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,3604.0.html

Offline crewjobs_too

• Light User
« Reply #2 on: Mar 31, 2011, 01:37 »
Thanks I actually had seen two of those threads before, but not the third one that you found: good find.  The thread called "NUKE DEPer" I thought was inconclusive since as you pointed out, she never came back and confirmed that she ever actually signed a nuke contract.  Maybe she took the NAPT which was graded on the spot at MEPS and she got a passing score and assumed that meant she was nuke, but that does not mean that NR accepted her package and issued her a new contract.

Thanks again.

By the way this is the thread from last December I was referring to originally "AECF transfering to Nuke".   I noticed a common theme here is these inquiries come from people who signed up for AECF.  Might it be that the AECF is a "consolation prize" suggested by the nuke coordinator for people who do not stand a chance of getting nuke but otherwise show promise?  I noticed that this AECF guy did not get approved for nuke either.

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,26201.0.html

« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2011, 01:49 by crewjobs_too »

MCWunjo

« Reply #3 on: Apr 02, 2011, 03:34 »
I signed an AECF contract in August and I got my nuke contract in September. It happens. It's happened recently. Good test scores and an experienced recruiter. Good luck!

Offline withrespecttotime

• Very Lite User
« Reply #4 on: Apr 02, 2011, 04:57 »
I have good test scores and an experienced recruiter and it still hasn't happened yet. My composite line scores were:   NUC:255 & EL:261    I sure hope I get those waivers before my shipdate.

Offline Jechtm

• Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: Apr 06, 2011, 11:40 »
I was also AECF until they got my High school transcript so I didn't have to go through medical again. Was promised nuke by everyone there, I guess scoring high helps too...

"Truth is the Daughter of Inspiration;... It is like a finger pointing a way to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory."

~Bruce Lee

Offline yota

• Moderate User
« Reply #6 on: Apr 06, 2011, 05:25 »
My original contract was STG (Sonar Tech- Surface) and I got my nuke contract about 1.5-2 months later. Tomorrow marks the bittersweet 1 year anniversary of my ship date to RTC and I am just now about a month into the second half of NPS.

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #7 on: Apr 06, 2011, 09:08 »
Since this has morphed into a list of switchers, I guess I'll throw in my  [2cents].

I signed AECF of 24Jan2011 and reclassed to nuke on 1Apr2011. My ship date is now 5Dec2011.

Offline Young Nuke

• Lurker
« Reply #8 on: Jun 12, 2011, 08:00 »
I DEP'd in 2010709 and finally got nuke in January of 2011. It happens but I had to push for them to do it. After all of that I'm still not shipping until 20110810.

Sun Dog

« Reply #9 on: Jun 12, 2011, 08:14 »
I DEP'd in 2010709 and finally got nuke in January of 2011. It happens but I had to push for them to do it. After all of that I'm still not shipping until 20110810.

Since this has morphed into a list of switchers, I guess I'll throw in my  [2cents].

I signed AECF of 24Jan2011 and reclassed to nuke on 1Apr2011. My ship date is now 5Dec2011.

Are you kids ever going to agree on a date format?

Offline Jechtm

• Moderate User
« Reply #10 on: Jun 22, 2011, 01:31 »
Are you kids ever going to agree on a date format?

Nope, we all thought they did it like YYYYMMDD thanks to MEPS (medical Date format)
then we got to boot and it was DDMMMYY (weird)
then we got to school and they didn't care...
So yeah, No.
"Truth is the Daughter of Inspiration;... It is like a finger pointing a way to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory."

~Bruce Lee

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #11 on: Jun 22, 2011, 03:03 »
Nope, we all thought they did it like YYYYMMDD thanks to MEPS (medical Date format)
then we got to boot and it was DDMMMYY (weird)
then we got to school and they didn't care...
So yeah, No.

Does supply still use the Julian date... yet another format for the Repair Parts Petty officer (if that is what they are still called).

Offline crewjobs_too

• Light User
« Reply #12 on: Jun 24, 2011, 05:22 »
Thanks for the updates everyone, my son is scheduled to graduate in A school seven weeks from today.  Best of luck to all of you.

Offline Jechtm

• Moderate User
« Reply #13 on: Jul 01, 2011, 10:24 »
Does supply still use the Julian date... yet another format for the Repair Parts Petty officer (if that is what they are still called).

Dunno, never been to a command...with a working boat =/

Prototype starts Tuesday ;(

~Bruce Lee

drayer54

« Reply #14 on: Jul 01, 2011, 11:17 »
Is there still 365.25 days in a year? People who order highlighters and toilet paper are called Repair Parts Petty Officer still. In light of our leadership at the top, I preferred the term
"Parts Czar" instead. Although the Julian date that the NAV uses isn't exactly the normal version of julian date some may think of.
« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2011, 11:19 by Drayer »

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #15 on: Jul 01, 2011, 05:01 »
Off-topic but my first year on the boat I thought RPPO stood for Retention Prevention Petty Officer.  That's what my fellow E-Div'ers told me.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #16 on: Jul 11, 2011, 07:03 »
Off-topic but my first year on the boat I thought RPPO stood for Retention Prevention Petty Officer.  That's what my fellow E-Div'ers told me.

Oh, we just called them "mechanics" on our boat :p

Offline USSMiamiElex

• Very Lite User
« Reply #17 on: Jul 12, 2011, 04:58 »

i just fell off my chair.  funny stuff.

gotta love E-Division.

Offline bigbrentos

• Very Lite User
« Reply #18 on: Aug 26, 2011, 01:04 »
I'm coming out of lurking to post and say that just today, I got my waiver approved to come in to the Nuke program from STG. I'm 26 years old, a ding on my criminal record, and scored a 99 on the ASVAB and 78 on the NAPT. I also have a B.S. in Ag. Economics from Texas A&M. It took pulling a lot of strings, long conversations with the recruiters and nuke coordinators, writing a rather serious essay, and two waiver submissions before it happened but its possible. Put the upmost effort in everything you can control such as tests, essays, and creating a good rapport with the nuke coord and recruiter.

Best of luck to you.
« Last Edit: Aug 26, 2011, 01:05 by bigbrentos »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?