Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu New navy nuke...maybe bear with me plz.

Author Topic: New navy nuke...maybe bear with me plz.  (Read 11141 times)

CY250

New navy nuke...maybe bear with me plz.
« on: Apr 10, 2011, 08:28 »
Hi everyone.  I would first like to thank anyone that can help me with this process.  I have a bit of a sob story that I will cut short, my mother recently passed away followed shortly by both my grand parents.  I'm 23, failing on the college track (I lose interest after 2 months into the semester or work takes over my life) and finding my career perspective...honestly put, boring.  I worked at various companies as a manager/supervisor ranging from retail to warehouse/logistic work.  I started working when I was 16 and ever since then have been in a spot of responsibility but grew bored after a year after I pretty much settled and sought out a new company for new experiences.  

I am strongly interested in the nuke program because everywhere I read, it talks about "challenge" and a constant need to learn.  Doesn't necessarily surprise me since the field I'm going into is dealing with moving over a 100 ton ship across the ocean...

Now to my question, I have taken the ASVAB and scored a 97 on it.  On my composite scores, I was 2 point shy of qualifying without taking the NQ test.  And well, I have to take another test.  I've been trying to figure out exactly I should have solid down when I take this test.  I've read other posts, and they say you need to know your math/physics/chem. well.  Physics has many different chapters so I would like to know something more specific.  I doubt the tests cover everything, but I could be wrong.  Are we dealing with vectors or angles and refractions?  Electrical/mechanical theory/concepts?  DO I have to memorize equations before going in.  Math wise, are we dealing with binomials and polynomials?  Radicals and/or irrational type algebra. Or is it the ASVAB BS dealing with reciprocals, x= or (f)x=, fractions, and converting between percentages/decimals/fractions and that silly speed section dealing with addition/multiplication/division/subtraction or PEMDAS(order of operations).  DO we have graphs?  I'm referring to quadratics/linear equation type problems...  Chemistry wise, I'm probably screwed if we go past the first 5 chapters in my CHem book.  I was never good in Chem but Physics clicked for me.  SO I'm focusing on scoring the best I can on the math and physics since I dont' have high hopes on the chem part, at least without help.  

The screen keeps jumping so I'm going to make another post...
« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2011, 08:43 by CY250 »

CY250

Re: New navy nuke...maybe bear with me plz.
« Reply #1 on: Apr 10, 2011, 08:41 »
I've been reading as much as I could about the nuke program and found this forum very useful.  So with that, I would like to say thank you to the community here.  Finding information about the navy nuke program...is difficult.  I am stressing over this test partly because I will gauge how well I do to determine if I should continue on the nuke track.  I don't want to "barely" pass it as I feel it does not bode well for me in power school.  

I have nothing left for me at home.  Optimistically put (somewhat coldly some would say), I have nothing to hold me back anymore at home.  So I am looking at the navy program as a way to... renew myself perhaps.  2010 was a very difficult year for me as my mother battled cancer but passed away in January.  My grandparents shortly followed...  I have plans to take math intensive courses before I ship out as I want to maximize my odds in passing power school and not be "nuclear waste".  I have strong aspirations in aeronautics and nuke wasn't something I considered until the recruiter mentionted it to me when he saw my ASVAB score.  Honestly put, I always thought that field was perhaps out of my mental capacity since the only univ. I considered to go to school for it was MIT.  I do have poor study habits but excellent test taking skills.  I'm easily distracted but when focused, I tend to lose track of things on the side.  That aside, I am a fast learner for the most part.  I have quite a varied hobby from reading/paintballing/football/shooting to fixing random crap.  Stuff like fixing computer motherboard (just swap out caps on those) and then dismantling my car (excludeing the engine/transmission for the most part) and cursing myself for forgetting where that damn bolt goes to.  So advice will be appreciated...

Thanks to everyone who read through my long posts.  Sorry about the length of it, I have a hard time keeping things short =/.  
« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2011, 08:57 by CY250 »

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #2 on: Apr 10, 2011, 08:59 »
1) sorry to hear about your situation, thats truly terrible :(
2) You seem like the ideal candidate for nuke school honestly. Most of us were too smart, and had better things to do then to "attend class" :D I tried college, failed miserably! looking back, it definitely shut some doors, but Im doing ok now after getting through the navy ;)
3) DO NOT study ANY math courses before you join. I didnt take the NAPT, but to my understanding some EXTREMELY basic trig is the hardest math on there. Just brush on your fundamentals and you should be ok with that. BUT The navy will teach you math THEIR way, and if you get all these ways of doing things down, and you go in, you will actually be at a kind of disadvantage, because you have to unlearn your way, then on top, learn their way. Dont worry about the math, its NOT hard stuff, I promise.
4) you sound like a good future mechanic ;). The navy is incredibly structured (at its core anyway haha), and sounds like it will do you some good. Do what you can, and upon entry, do your best! If you are willing to spend the time studying, you most likely will do ok. Very few people in my class failed because of academics. I can think of about 10 out of my class of 300. Now others got in trouble and got kicked out that way, but just keep your nose clean ;)
5) Navy assumes you know NOTHING, and builds from there in all subjects, you will not be dropped in the deep end, with regards to that. Now, on the other hand, the learning curve is pretty steep! it moves with a purpose! ;)

good luck, let us know if we can help.

CY250

« Reply #3 on: Apr 10, 2011, 09:15 »
No, your response was everything I hoped for and more.  I was on the assumption that power school was gonna be under the assumption we knew our crap.  And so I was nervous about being dumber than the high school graduates I will be in school with.  The math classes I was planning to take was college algebra/trigs OR analytical geometry and probably pre-calc along with some physics geared towards electrical/mechanical theory/concepts.  I suck on semester long courses...so I only attend classes during the 2 week terms and summer term.  I suck on semester long course because I ended up not going to school, became a real drag for me (and working 50-80 hour work weeks made it none the easier, money was good though  ;D).  But if they were short and quick and shelled me with relevant info and not their life (not saying I wasn't awake for that part, most of it was interesting, but unnecessary), it was great.  I was hoping to get the ET rating as it seems like the training is the longest thus...  And besides, the training seems to deal with stuff that I normally dont' do anyways since I'm to ignorant right now to mess with electrical/electronics to in depthly.  Mechanical part...take it apart..and it goes back only 1 way.  Normally.  I still end up with an extra bolt or 2 when I started with 0.  But I'll take whatever they hand me initally and hope to qualify later on.  I'd like to learn em all honestly.

I'm currently studying an algebra work book for "idiots" as the title says, mainly for what you suggested, to brush up on my fundamentals.  Physics, I'm mainly focused on the vector/trajectory/work/power side of it, or the inital cos/sin/tan part.  Chemistry...periodic table, lol, I'm not gonna bother the chem. book, I need help doing the math for chem, concepts are easy, the math part isn't.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #4 on: Apr 10, 2011, 09:23 »
Every rate has their pros and cons, and they all suck ;) Its a tough job, but if push through it, the rewards at the end of the tunnel are enormous!

CY250

« Reply #5 on: Apr 10, 2011, 09:32 »
I see, thanks for your replies!  I understand the rates would all have their pros and cons.  I'm a curious individual for the most part.  I'm mainly interested because I feel that it will expand my career options "after" the navy if I don't make it a career.  And that, I've always had a strong interest in both electronics and mechanics.  Maybe not electrical...fussing with the wires in my car to find that melted wire for my tail light was a hot/frustrating and tedious experience.  So that probably killed an electricians profession for me.

Stoney

« Reply #6 on: Apr 11, 2011, 07:01 »
My first post here, I'm currently in DEP, waiting to ship out in August after I graduate with my associates at a cheap, small community college . I didn't auto qualify for the Nuclear Program as well, you need to make a 252 and I scored 1 point shy. I took the NAPT test and it honestly isn't that difficult, insultingly easy perhaps. There was a lot of basic math, chemistry, trig, and physics. "Vectors are.... both magnitude and direction." is one problem that is burned into my memory.
            My condolences for you losses as well, my mother had a Hysterectomy in March, and 2 weeks ago my father developed congestive heart failure, so I may understand what you're going through before long.

Offline namlive

• Moderate User
« Reply #7 on: Apr 11, 2011, 08:15 »
Now I won't say I don't regret my decision to join the Navy, okay I regret it. If I had to do it all over again I would have opted for a 2 year degree at HP high school (Ocala) and then gone into the commercial industry. Aoken tech is now doing the 2 year degree too. They also have a 90 day certificate class and are placing people in jobs. This would be the lazy man's way to the middle class.
No one gets out alive.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #8 on: Apr 11, 2011, 09:51 »
Now I won't say I don't regret my decision to join the Navy, okay I regret it. If I had to do it all over again I would have opted for a 2 year degree at HP high school (Ocala) and then gone into the commercial industry. Aoken tech is now doing the 2 year degree too. They also have a 90 day certificate class and are placing people in jobs. This would be the lazy man's way to the middle class.

I doubt highly very many people are as bitter as I am, but Im still grateful for the position the navy put me in afterwards. Worth it? Definitely. Enjoyed it? Definitely not... Kinda. Had my best and worst times on deployment, have memories that will last a lifetime, both good and bloody awful. I like the idea of the navy, just doesnt work out for everyone :D

CY250

« Reply #9 on: Apr 12, 2011, 05:05 »

Mmm, I could have gotten myself into the "middle-class" have I continued to work at my warehouse job.  I was a part-time supervisor there on the line and was being groomed to replace the f/t that were due to retire with in a few years if not immediate.  They had 31-35 years under their belts.  But one day when I was working, I wanted something more.  I wanted to do something other than light a fire up my lazy loaders a$$'s, negotiate with the union(some folks may call it blackmail with how these talks go...), and just nod my head as my supervisor screamed in my face for every little thing he can find and expected the shit to roll down hill with positive results, which generally did.  I wanted something a bit more exciting or intellectually challenging.  I was bored.  So I'm looking at the Navy to give me a kick in the a$$ the right direction as I obviously can't do it.  Keep not showing up to class and crap like that.  So everyone has their own experiences in the military I understand, but there are very few places out there that will give/pay the training/hands-on-experience the Navy's nuclear program is offering.  I aim to make the best of what may come to me in the Navy.  I imagine I may get into trouble like I did at my other jobs if I get a DB officer.  I have a hard time not smiling at them when they are screaming into my face.  Bad habit I guess, seems to provoke them more.  But meh, blow me and leave me to my job.  

My first post here, I'm currently in DEP, waiting to ship out in August after I graduate with my associates at a cheap, small community college . I didn't auto qualify for the Nuclear Program as well, you need to make a 252 and I scored 1 point shy. I took the NAPT test and it honestly isn't that difficult, insultingly easy perhaps. There was a lot of basic math, chemistry, trig, and physics. "Vectors are.... both magnitude and direction." is one problem that is burned into my memory.
            My condolences for you losses as well, my mother had a Hysterectomy in March, and 2 weeks ago my father developed congestive heart failure, so I may understand what you're going through before long.

I see, I was 2 points shy, so I guess I would be a 250.  I've been putting off taking the NAPT as I've been studying.  I can't say I've been very pro-active in it as it's been very difficult to focus for me lately.  I try to get 20 or so pages off my algebra book a day if not more.  I've been focusing on losing weight though mainly.  I packed on quite a few pounds the last half year  :'(.  Anyhow, thx for your input, everyone's been telling me how easy it was and how I'll be able pass it without breaking a sweat.  I'm the type of individual who would usually expect the worst case scenario though, so maybe I've been a bit to overestimating.  When I took the ASVAB, I was pretty impressed with it.  In regards to how I expected so much more.  There was some scores some folks got I can't understand still to this day.  Sorry for those of you here "possibly" that scored bad, but I don't quite get how you can score a 25 or LOWER on that test and have a high school diploma on hand.  

I hope everything will turn out for the best for your mother and father.  I never knew my father since he passed away before I was 2, so I think your plate may be bigger...  My mother passed away due to cervical cancer and I have alot of regrets.  Starting with not dragging to my mother to the hospital earlier.  When we found out, it was to late.  She was in ALOT of pain.  That was the hardest thing...  Being there next to her and watch her cry and writhe around in her bed.  See how much weight she has lost, how frail she looked.  You feel so powerless. All I can say my friend, if you believe their time is limited, talk to them, spend time with them.  Share as many smiles and laughs as you can with them.  Tell them you love them, tell them you appreciate them.  And tell them, you will survive and make them proud.  There is a common saying that you don't truly understand how you appreciate something until they are gone.  I found that to be a very hard truth in my case.  My grandmother and grandfather passed away without ever knowing my mother passed as we were afraid that will expedite their demise.  It didn't help it seemed...my grandmother passed away the following Sunday of my mother's passing and my grandfather followed her one month after.  Stay strong, and keep true to the promises you make...  
« Last Edit: Apr 12, 2011, 05:21 by CY250 »

CY250

« Reply #10 on: Apr 12, 2011, 05:40 »
good luck, let us know if we can help.

I have a question for you after all.  I read around these forums and I have a "general" idea and probably already know the answer to this but I just want it directly.

I understand that assignment to carriers or subs are "voluntary".  Well, exact wording is assignment to "subs" are voluntary anyways.  My question doesnt' pertain to that exactly but I wanted to know which side gets more travel.  It seems that carriers will have 3-6 months on deployment within a calender year or sometimes none perhaps.  From what I've read, it seemed that the sub folks get deployments more often.  I've also read that folks assigned to subs tend to get their OJT (senior in rate and/or watch qualify) qualifications alot faster than those assigned to the floating cities.  I'm highly interested in travel, not at all interested in the conditions a sub may offer.  But I maybe more inclined to follow that route if SIGNIFICANT more travel is offered.  So:

1.) Generally how many months of deployment in a calender year can I expect on a sub?
2.) When in port(at foreign country), are there times the nuke's get stuck on the boat doing maint. work the entire time in port?  Does it happen often? 
3.) Does promotion in subs happen faster generally than on carriers?  (I know it depends a lot on command and in our current times, budget, but generally speaking)
4.) How long does your boat stay in port (at foreign country) generally?  Do you HAVE to billet on your boat?

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #11 on: Apr 12, 2011, 08:32 »

1.) Generally how many months of deployment in a calender year can I expect on a sub?
2.) When in port(at foreign country), are there times the nuke's get stuck on the boat doing maint. work the entire time in port?  Does it happen often? 
3.) Does promotion in subs happen faster generally than on carriers?  (I know it depends a lot on command and in our current times, budget, but generally speaking)
4.) How long does your boat stay in port (at foreign country) generally?  Do you HAVE to billet on your boat?

These are good questions, but.....

Anyone answering them should be careful not to discuss sensitive information in this forum if answering questions 1, 2, or 4.

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

CY250

« Reply #12 on: Apr 12, 2011, 09:02 »
These are good questions, but.....

Anyone answering them should be careful not to discuss sensitive information in this forum if answering questions 1, 2, or 4.

Cheers,
GC

Mmm, ok... Well guess I'll cut it down since your post made me realize that this may be a question not easily answerable in a direct sense...

So in a general sense, is it "common" for nuke folks to get stuck on the boat when in port or do they get shore leave typically?  From what I'm reading, those in the nuke field tend to get less time on leave than others on the boat, correct me if I'm wrong please...  Can we expect more travel than those on a carrier normally? 

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #13 on: Apr 12, 2011, 09:03 »
2.) When in port(at foreign country), are there times the nuke's get stuck on the boat doing maint. work the entire time in port?  Does it happen often?  
3.) Does promotion in subs happen faster generally than on carriers?  (I know it depends a lot on command and in our current times, budget, but generally speaking)
4.) How long does your boat stay in port (at foreign country) generally?  Do you HAVE to billet on your boat?

Man, these are EAAASSSYYYY questions, except for number 4.

1) As much as the navy needs you to.
2) Case by case scenario. Lets get one thing straight. If you're stuck in a port to fix something, your butt's not going anyway, and you're probably going to get more sleep and time off out to sea. Its not a carnival cruise line :D
3) Subs and Surface nukes have separate promotion criteria. I was up for e-6 at my 4 year point for reference, and I was surface. I know several 4 year e-6 sub guys. I know a couple 6 year chiefs both sub and surface. I know an EM that made master chief when he was 29. Rank is a combination of your drive and the current needs of the navy.
4) huh?

Mmm, ok... Well guess I'll cut it down since your post made me realize that this may be a question not easily answerable in a direct sense...

So in a general sense, is it "common" for nuke folks to get stuck on the boat when in port or do they get shore leave typically?  From what I'm reading, those in the nuke field tend to get less time on leave than others on the boat, correct me if I'm wrong please...  Can we expect more travel than those on a carrier normally? 

Hate to be blunt, but if you're joining the navy to see the world, you really need to pick a different job. Your priority will be that reactor plant 24/7 until the day you turn in your TLD. And I MEAN 24/7.  We get our time off, but its definitely not comparable to other jobs in the navy, especially on a carrier.

My carrier did more sea time then most subs on the east coast during my time in. Just how it rolled with us. Others never will see a deployment. Its just how it rotates and how the navy decides to treat your ship during a set time frame.
« Last Edit: Apr 12, 2011, 09:06 by Charlie Murphy »

CY250

« Reply #14 on: Apr 12, 2011, 10:02 »
Man, these are EAAASSSYYYY questions, except for number 4.

1) As much as the navy needs you to.
2) Case by case scenario. Lets get one thing straight. If you're stuck in a port to fix something, your butt's not going anyway, and you're probably going to get more sleep and time off out to sea. Its not a carnival cruise line :D
3) Subs and Surface nukes have separate promotion criteria. I was up for e-6 at my 4 year point for reference, and I was surface. I know several 4 year e-6 sub guys. I know a couple 6 year chiefs both sub and surface. I know an EM that made master chief when he was 29. Rank is a combination of your drive and the current needs of the navy.
4) huh?

Hate to be blunt, but if you're joining the navy to see the world, you really need to pick a different job. Your priority will be that reactor plant 24/7 until the day you turn in your TLD. And I MEAN 24/7.  We get our time off, but its definitely not comparable to other jobs in the navy, especially on a carrier.

My carrier did more sea time then most subs on the east coast during my time in. Just how it rolled with us. Others never will see a deployment. Its just how it rotates and how the navy decides to treat your ship during a set time frame.

Ok, thx for your replies!  Mm, the travel part I consider a bonus to joining the Navy, so these are just things I've been curious about.  I have my priorities straight...  Traveling isn't #1, #2, or even #3.  I have a couple friends who are in the Navy, one "ran" a shop I guess on a carrier and the other is in Intel.  Both have seen lots of the world, one more in the Atlantic side of the world and the other more so on the Pacific.  From what they tell me sounds a bit different than what I read here.  So I guess I'm just waiting for confirmation from one of you guys that my bonus isn't as big as it's made out to be since I decided to do this job instead.  But anyways, I contacted my recruiter to get a date for my test. 

Cherenkov

« Reply #15 on: Apr 12, 2011, 10:47 »
I have a question for you after all.  I read around these forums and I have a "general" idea and probably already know the answer to this but I just want it directly.

I understand that assignment to carriers or subs are "voluntary".  Well, exact wording is assignment to "subs" are voluntary anyways.  My question doesn't' pertain to that exactly but I wanted to know which side gets more travel.  It seems that carriers will have 3-6 months on deployment within a calender year or sometimes none perhaps.  From what I've read, it seemed that the sub folks get deployments more often.  I've also read that folks assigned to subs tend to get their OJT (senior in rate and/or watch qualify) qualifications alot faster than those assigned to the floating cities.  I'm highly interested in travel, not at all interested in the conditions a sub may offer.  But I maybe more inclined to follow that route if SIGNIFICANT more travel is offered.  So:

2.) When in port(at foreign country), are there times the nuke's get stuck on the boat doing maint. work the entire time in port?  Does it happen often?  
3.) Does promotion in subs happen faster generally than on carriers?  (I know it depends a lot on command and in our current times, budget, but generally speaking)
4.) How long does your boat stay in port (at foreign country) generally?  Do you HAVE to billet on your boat?

1) If you are on a fast attack, although your deployments are usually scheduled, when you actually go to sea for say... a week or two here and there... is sometimes unpredictable... at least by most enlisted. I can recall times when I was called on a Sunday and told to be ready to go to sea Monday morning. Also, your op tempo on a fast attack will usually be pretty high... meaning you will usually spent a lot of time at sea between deployments. But, like others and I have said, there is no guarantee and that is simply based on my experience. When your deployments are, their length, etc are classified as someone alluded to, so we really can't be more specific than "it depends..."
2) Again, "it depends." Much of your freedom in a foreign port is in the hands of your Chief and EDMC. On one of my deployments, all ports were working ports for nukes as decreed by the EDMC. On another deployment, the general feeling was that if nothing was broke and your work is up to date, you were free to come and go as you please. Like someone said, it depends on your boat, the people in charge of you, and how much stuff is broke.
3) Again, it depends. I made 2nd and 1st fast was an LPO and qualified and stood EWS on my first sea tour on a fast attack. Besides being a function of my personal drive, there was also a shortage of LPOs/EWS on my boat (actually qualified EWS as a 2nd class). There are many variables and you can't really say one is better than the other.... at least I can't, anyway.
4) Again, it depends. How long/when you are in port is classified. I have been in ports for < 1 day, I have been in ports for 2 weeks. Just depends. As for "billet" on the boat, I guess you mean "sleep" on the boat. No, as long as you are on liberty, you can go get hotel rooms or even travel far away... as long as you are back when you are supposed to be. For example, when we were in Brest France, many of us spent 5 days in Paris.

I disagree with another poster about not being a pleasure cruise, or joining as a nuke to "see the world." I agree that sure, you are on a warship and job 1 is defense of this nation, job 2 is maintenance of the boat, but so long as the other 2 are going well, you should have no problem seeing the world and you can expect some damned fine port calls. It is not unreasonable to join for the hope to see the world, even as a nuke, so long as you realize the priorities and take care of business when required. Hopefully, with any luck, you get a command that supports that philosophy, but as I said before, it depends. Under one command your liberty could be meaningless, under another it could mean everything.

I hope this helps a bit, sorry for saying "it depends" a lot, but it really does. Everyone who replies will have different experiences and hopefully, you can gleen somewhat of an idea of what it could be like.

-C
« Last Edit: Apr 12, 2011, 10:56 by Cherenkov »

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #16 on: Apr 12, 2011, 12:42 »
Cherenkov -> You definitely experienced a different navy then I did haha. We were not authorized over night liberty on my boat the second half of my last deployment (Same captain). My carrier was also raped with sea time and time in port was garbage. On a given port call, we had one day off. We were on 3 section duty, the rest of the ship was on 8 section. It was a tough pill to swallow being on the boat day after duty watching the rest of the boat "beating the flag". 

Cherenkov

« Reply #17 on: Apr 12, 2011, 12:50 »
Cherenkov -> You definitely experienced a different navy then I did haha. We were not authorized over night liberty on my boat the second half of my last deployment (Same captain). My carrier was also raped with sea time and time in port was garbage. On a given port call, we had one day off. We were on 3 section duty, the rest of the ship was on 8 section. It was a tough pill to swallow being on the boat day after duty watching the rest of the boat "beating the flag". 

Haha yeah, like I said, "it depends."

YMWV.

-C

Offline namlive

• Moderate User
« Reply #18 on: Apr 16, 2011, 01:20 »
I was on a big and black and never come back boat. There was one year we spent 10 months at sea. In port, we were port and starboard, port and starboard as nukes. We had ever other day off. Sometimes we would be in port one day, sometimes a week. Exception was at "the rock" where we refit for 30 days. Then there were times we had "periscope liberty." Right now, as when I was in, you might get to see Libya through a periscope.
No one gets out alive.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?