Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu internal or external hires. honeypot

Author Topic: internal or external hires.  (Read 4917 times)

Offline daveyj308846

• Light User
internal or external hires.
« on: Apr 10, 2011, 09:02 »
I was just hoping someone could fill me in as to the hiring process for some of their plants. Once a job has been posted to the websites job board is it after the current employee's have applied and not been selected(or no one was interested) or do they post it for everyone and first look internally then externally. A friend of mine works for a local plant (that I'm trying to get into) and when I mention a job that I applied for its always the same that its going to be filled internally.

Cycoticpenguin

Re: internal or external hires.
« Reply #1 on: Apr 10, 2011, 09:08 »
Id be willing to bet it depends on the plant AND the position. My plant offers jobs internally first, THEN externally for most positions above entry level.

Its just easier for the business to promote internally then to do the entire process over again for a new, outside hire. Forgive my "probably, maybe, I dunno" answer, but thats how it is in my plant, not going to speak for others.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #2 on: Apr 10, 2011, 11:40 »
External postings are almost always either after a failed attempt to fill internally or when the company knows that there is little or no chance of a qualified internal candidate.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Sun Dog

« Reply #3 on: Apr 11, 2011, 09:53 »
External postings are almost always either after a failed attempt to fill internally or when the company knows that there is little or no chance of a qualified internal candidate.

or...utilities will post a slot internally and externally simultaneously when a specific "potential" employee from outside of the organization has been identified for a specific position.  If you are alert it is simple to identify these non-opportunities.  They will have a VERY detailed description of the ideal candidate.  Usually so detailed that only one person on the planet is considered ideal.
« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2011, 10:01 by Sun Dog »

Fermi2

« Reply #4 on: Apr 12, 2011, 08:11 »
Depends on the Utility and Union agreement.

Offline daveyj308846

• Light User
« Reply #5 on: Apr 12, 2011, 08:15 »
Thanks for the feedback. Its Constellation in Baltimore. Just sometimes the postings throw me off because some will have the name of the HR rep and hiring manager and others don't.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?