Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Are initial operators getting older?

Author Topic: Are initial operators getting older?  (Read 13761 times)

Cycoticpenguin

Are initial operators getting older?
« on: Apr 11, 2011, 09:54 »
I dont know demographics nationwide, but at my plant NLO's are pretty old, relatively speaking to myself. For example, me and one other dude are FAR and again the youngest in the plant. In my class and the class before, the average age is 33. That seems to be higher then what Id expect it to be for NLO's. The next closest person to me and this other dude is an ILO candidate thats 28. Rest of his class is in their 40's/50's. Few ro's are young 30's, rest are pushing 40.

After my intial question, does anyone know where I can find demographics for operators by any chance? Dont really care, just curious.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Re: Are initial operators getting older?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 12, 2011, 12:09 »
I dont know demographics nationwide, but at my plant NLO's are pretty old, relatively speaking to myself. For example, me and one other dude are FAR and again the youngest in the plant. In my class and the class before, the average age is 33. That seems to be higher then what Id expect it to be for NLO's. The next closest person to me and this other dude is an ILO candidate thats 28. Rest of his class is in their 40's/50's. Few ro's are young 30's, rest are pushing 40.

After my intial question, does anyone know where I can find demographics for operators by any chance? Dont really care, just curious.

That's just harsh. Be careful or they will all gang up on you and beat you with their canes. Whippersnapper.  :old:

I see you still haven't located that spell check button.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #2 on: Apr 12, 2011, 12:17 »
That's just harsh. Be careful or they will all gang up on you and beat you with their canes. Whippersnapper.  :old:

I see you still haven't located that spell check button.

haha, I really dont care what age the person relieving me is. Merely an observation! I have an inquisitive mind, so yeah. :D

Im NOT seeing what I misspelled btw. lol

edit: fwiw, one of the operators we hired is 46, and the average of my class is 34. (we got bored in class :D)
« Last Edit: Apr 12, 2011, 12:17 by Charlie Murphy »

MacGyver

« Reply #3 on: Apr 12, 2011, 07:43 »

I believe we have discussed this one before.

But, allow me to elucidate for you.  Yes.  We are getting older.  A lot of NO hiring occurred for approximately 15 years.  Actually right after Voglte 1&2 finished up.

Plants are being smart about their hiring needs.  Yes they are all behind.  Yes they value the older folks.  We have a maturity you younger bucks have yet to run into.  But, you will someday.  We all hope anyway.

Sit back and enjoy the ride.  Learn everything you can from these "Old Dudes".  I did.  You can too.

And, one more thing.  TVA about 6 years ago suspended all early retirements.  So, you can rest assured that someone in management is already on the case.

:old:
« Last Edit: Apr 12, 2011, 07:44 by MacGyver »

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #4 on: Apr 12, 2011, 09:19 »
Granted, most are simply punctuation errors, but they would still be caught by spell check. Grammar and the use of pronouns is another issue.

I understand that the 'texting generation' doesn't care about punctuation, spelling, and complete sentences but if you are going to prosper where (by your own calculation) most of your peers and virtually all your supervisors (i.e. those that can influence your career) are older than you, just realize that they do care. To those who learned how to spell and punctuate, those that either can't or choose not to write properly look ignorant or sloppy or both. You don't want to look like that.

Or, maybe you do, I don't know.

Hmm... i can tlk lik this if u wnt. my spllchckr dsnt crct grmr errrs.

If I leave off an apostrophe or comma, it doesnt mean I dont know how to speak appropriately. I use proper diction and mostly correct grammar. Always have, always will type like that. Im not posting a resume here, Im asking questions. dont and don't. You get my point regardless. Its an online discussion, not a formal critique.

The age of my supervisors was not the question. My older, "more mature" classmates are the one coming to me for advice and help in class. Im willing to learn, but its going to be a while before their wisdom comes into any kind of meaning (if they even pass). When that day comes, Im more then willing to sit and listen! :D

and for what it's worth, if you are going to critique my grammar, Id appreciate it if you spoke with 100% accuracy as well. Petty? Maybe, but its pretty much the same thing.

[Incorrect sentence structure with implied noun]Granted, most are simply punctuation errors[semi colon, not comma when connecting more then one independent clause], but they would still be caught by spell check. [Incorrect sentence structure, implied noun again]Grammar and the use of pronouns is another issue.

I understand that the [improper usage of apostrophes. Use quotations]'texting generation' doesn't care about punctuation, spelling, and complete sentences[you forgot your semi colon] but if you are going to prosper where (by your own calculation)[you forgot your comma] most of your peers and virtually all your supervisors [you forgot your comma] (i.e. those that can influence your career)[another comma] are older than you, just realize that they do care. To those who learned how to spell and punctuate, those that either can't or choose not to write properly look ignorant [separate points with commas] or sloppy or both. You don't want to look like that.

Or, maybe you do, I don't know.

« Last Edit: Apr 12, 2011, 09:20 by Charlie Murphy »

Cherenkov

« Reply #5 on: Apr 12, 2011, 11:02 »
The average age in commercial as compared to Navy is going to be generally higher, obviously, but as far as the industry as a whole, it is hard to tell. I think the average age is coming down, finally, now that we are bringing in younger people from the Navy and Engineering. I have seen people as young as 24 go through as an instant SRO and as old as 50. On average though, recently, license classes I have seen have been in the early 30s.

-C

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #6 on: Apr 12, 2011, 12:36 »
The average age in commercial as compared to Navy is going to be generally higher, obviously, but as far as the industry as a whole, it is hard to tell. I think the average age is coming down, finally, now that we are bringing in younger people from the Navy and Engineering. I have seen people as young as 24 go through as an instant SRO and as old as 50. On average though, recently, license classes I have seen have been in the early 30s.

-C

It may be a regional thing. People trying to get out of their other plants (75% of hires here are from chem plants or other operational type jobs) and get a better job I suppose lol. Not too many navy guys here either o.o

Offline ToadSuck

• Moderate User
« Reply #7 on: Apr 12, 2011, 03:39 »
I am 30 and a trainer. The next youngest person in my office of about 40 people is about 44 and most are within 5 years of retiring. I was really surprised to get out of the Navy and I have "0" contemporaries...

However, for me that just means a lot of upward mobility if I learn from all the "oldies" and work hard.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #8 on: Apr 12, 2011, 04:47 »
Get yourself a good book on writing in English. None of those examples you cited are wrong.

Thanks for reinforcing my point, though. You just don't care unless you get to argue about it. That will take you far in the nuclear industry. Good luck with it. It has frequently been pointed out that more than a few peolpe in hiring positions visit this site and read the forum. Your first impression is being made, like it or not.

Im already hired, and have made my first impression where it matters, with whom it matters. Thanks for caring :)  All the examples I cited werent wrong, and I will prove it if you wish to be stubborn. PM me if you wish to continue this conversation.

DOC -> Yeah thats how Im taking it. A LOT of people are going to be getting out here, so I have a lot of room to grow quickly. Whats the average age of NLO's you are hiring?
« Last Edit: Apr 12, 2011, 04:52 by Charlie Murphy »

Sun Dog

« Reply #9 on: Apr 12, 2011, 07:47 »
The best part of this thread is certainly not the infantile bickering about 9th grade level English language fundamentals.

For me, I like the title "Are initial operators getting older?" because it seems like a simple enough question.

I am not sure what an initial operator is, but I am sure that whomever they are, if they are not getting older, they are dead.  So, I really hope they are getting older, unless, they are better off dead.

Fermi2

« Reply #10 on: Apr 12, 2011, 07:57 »
I believe we have discussed this one before.

But, allow me to elucidate for you.  Yes.  We are getting older.  A lot of NO hiring occurred for approximately 15 years.  Actually right after Voglte 1&2 finished up.

Plants are being smart about their hiring needs.  Yes they are all behind.  Yes they value the older folks.  We have a maturity you younger bucks have yet to run into.  But, you will someday.  We all hope anyway.

Sit back and enjoy the ride.  Learn everything you can from these "Old Dudes".  I did.  You can too.

And, one more thing.  TVA about 6 years ago suspended all early retirements.  So, you can rest assured that someone in management is already on the case.

:old:

TVA did no such thing. Anyone with a vested retirement can retire at anytime. What TVA did was raise the age at which they'd assist paying medical during retirement.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #11 on: Apr 12, 2011, 08:37 »
I am not sure what an initial operator is

AO, EO, NLO, NEO, AMO, MO, PPO, etc etc. It seems the age of persons at my plant is a bit higher then I was expecting it to be. (I was also expecting ex navy to be the majority... suprise!!!).

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #12 on: Apr 12, 2011, 08:42 »

AO, EO, NLO, NEO, AMO, MO, PPO, etc etc. It seems the age of persons at my plant is a bit higher then I was expecting it to be. (I was also expecting ex navy to be the majority... suprise!!!).

There once was a time when the idea of a competent 6-and-out Navy Nuke failing either a piss test or a POSS test, MMPI or an interview would be considered science fiction. Now that NF has changed from "Nuclear Field" to "No Failures", plenty of sad pandas and fan-room commandos wash out in the hiring process.

Offline darlingetoile

• Very Lite User
« Reply #13 on: Apr 12, 2011, 09:25 »
Well I just got hired as an NLO trainee, and I'm 23.  I haven't started yet, so I can only comment that from the description others have given it sounds like you could be right.  However, 34 isn't really "old", in my books. 

The workforce as a whole everywhere is getting older though, so you have to expect the same to be even more the case for jobs where you are required to complete a few years of school + OTJ Training.  Candidates are going to be a minimum of 18 when they graduate highschool + post secondary ~2-4 years making them at least 20 going into the program.  Then consider what the employers look for in terms of job experience, and you'll soon get to an average age of 34.  Median age would give you a better idea of the actual demographic in your class - since an average age of 34 could mean you have a lot of older people and a lot of younger people - you might not even have anyone in the class who is 34, but it's hard to say using that statisic.  But not that it matters anyway, I'm sure you're right.

MacGyver

« Reply #14 on: Apr 13, 2011, 11:06 »
TVA did no such thing. Anyone with a vested retirement can retire at anytime. What TVA did was raise the age at which they'd assist paying medical during retirement.

BZ you are wrong.  I said Early Retirement's.  Yes, there WAS a program that allowed Early Retirements.  This program was Ceased, iirc.  And, they did the other things you have mentioned.

You might not have any idea because it was before you came on.
« Last Edit: Apr 13, 2011, 11:14 by MacGyver »

ski2313

« Reply #15 on: Apr 13, 2011, 11:10 »
BZ you are wrong.

Uh oh..... them is fightin' words!!!   :P

Fermi2

« Reply #16 on: Apr 13, 2011, 04:15 »
BZ you are wrong.  I said Early Retirement's.  Yes, there WAS a program that allowed Early Retirements.  This program was Ceased, iirc.  And, they did the other things you have mentioned.

You might not have any idea because it was before you came on.

Incorrect. I've been there 6 years. I could have retired 3 years ago if I wanted. Prior to me getting there they had guys under the 80 Point plan, once you had 80 points you could go regardless of age, though IIRC there was a lower deck on the age.

The only freeze they've ever put on early retirement was the restrictions they enacted about 4 years ago.
« Last Edit: Apr 13, 2011, 08:53 by Broadzilla »

Offline IRLFAN

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #17 on: Apr 13, 2011, 07:57 »
There once was a time when the idea of a competent 6-and-out Navy Nuke failing either a piss test or a POSS test, MMPI or an interview would be considered science fiction. Now that NF has changed from "Nuclear Field" to "No Failures", plenty of sad pandas and fan-room commandos wash out in the hiring process.

True for maintenance also.  I was shocked at some of the Navy nukes we recently turned down after interviews.  I had a hard time believing these people ever made it through training.  They wouldn't have in the 70's.
Democracy is 4 wolves and 1 sheep
voting on what's for dinner.

Liberty is the sheep with a .357 magnum
telling the wolves where to stick it.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #18 on: Apr 13, 2011, 08:15 »
True for maintenance also.  I was shocked at some of the Navy nukes we recently turned down after interviews.  I had a hard time believing these people ever made it through training.  They wouldn't have in the 70's.

Im having a difficult time understanding what they did wrong in their interviews. training, easy or not, still seems to be a little revered. Its like the doors open, but they are tripping on their way through it or something. when my buddy told me they didnt hire a nuke, I was blown away O.o

Cherenkov

« Reply #19 on: Apr 13, 2011, 08:52 »
You would be amazed at what people do wrong in interviews. Some people simply don't prepare, and when you aren't ready to answer a question such as "Tell me about a time you led a team to solve a problem, include success and failures along the way...," it shows. Additionally, I have seen Navy nukes with the "I'm a Navy nuke so I am entitled to this job" mentality. Those are just 2 examples of a long list of mistakes that I have seen.

-C

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #20 on: Apr 13, 2011, 09:18 »
You would be amazed at what people do wrong in interviews. Some people simply don't prepare, and when you aren't ready to answer a question such as "Tell me about a time you led a team to solve a problem, include success and failures along the way...," it shows. Additionally, I have seen Navy nukes with the "I'm a Navy nuke so I am entitled to this job" mentality. Those are just 2 examples of a long list of mistakes that I have seen.

-C

good ole brainwashing ;)

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #21 on: Apr 13, 2011, 09:40 »
good ole brainwashing ;)

You would be amazed at what people do wrong in interviews.  I have seen Navy nukes with the "I'm a Navy nuke so I am entitled to this job" mentality. -C

It has existed all along, my first experience with it was a job candidate in the '70s who said just that, but it does seem to be more previlent today.
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #22 on: Apr 13, 2011, 09:52 »
Im having a difficult time understanding what they did wrong in their interviews. training, easy or not, still seems to be a little revered. Its like the doors open, but they are tripping on their way through it or something. when my buddy told me they didnt hire a nuke, I was blown away O.o

flubbing the interview is a very small part of it. What they did wrong was to stay comfortable in the "Two-five-and-survive NF means No Failures" complacency zone fostered during their time in blue camo. Over the years, when I've encountered recent ex-nukes at interviews (either as competitors or interviewees) I steer the chit-chat towards things any competent ex-nuke should know (observing OPSEC of course). MMs that have no concept of the enthalpy number of 600# steam within an order of magnitude, EMs that can't explain a VAR or synchroscope, ETs that can't explain reactivity or neutron yield of fission can just Super-Size my order and make way for the next applicant.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?