Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu I went Nuke and Im so pumped, but need a little reassurance. honeypot

Author Topic: I went Nuke and Im so pumped, but need a little reassurance.  (Read 5595 times)

Fastattackhopeful

Well, I started out wanting to be a diver but then i made a 97 on the asvab (same score I got in highschool  :P), and my recruiter talked to me about the nuke program.  I researched it and decided hands down being on a ssn is my dream.  I went to MEPS, everything checked out, and I signed my contract and voluntary Sub form.  I am just really concerned now that I might not have what it takes.  I go to the University of Alabama, and ever since I got here my grades have steadily fallen.  It was just really hard for me to stay focused on school, and I got really bored with the subject matter (business).  I always start out a semester strong, but then end up with like a 2.3 at the end.  I know I could have a 4.0 i just get uninterested and check out. Will I have this problem in the Nuke program or will the Navy straighten me out.  I want to change and be on top of things so bad its just hard when nobody around you cares about their future like at the UA.  I can't wait for boot camp, I haven't been challenged since football ended senior year and I'm basically pissing my pants with excitement.  Also if i want to do fast attack will i most likely get it, I DON'T absolutely DON'T want to be on a boomer.  Sorry I know how much it sucks when noobs ask dumb questions like this on forums I'm just so excited and anxious to get there!!

Cycoticpenguin

We desperately need to get mikey off his happy pills and park him in front of a computer for an hour ;)

Fastattackhopeful

Damn not the popcorn man.  Guess I'm about to get flamed.  lurk fail

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Well, I started out wanting to be a diver but then i made a 97 on the asvab (same score I got in highschool  :P), and my recruiter talked to me about the nuke program.  I researched it and decided hands down being on a ssn is my dream.  I went to MEPS, everything checked out, and I signed my contract and voluntary Sub form.  I am just really concerned now that I might not have what it takes.  I go to the University of Alabama, and ever since I got here my grades have steadily fallen.  It was just really hard for me to stay focused on school, and I got really bored with the subject matter (business).  3. I always start out a semester strong, but then end up with like a 2.3 at the end.  1. I know I could have a 4.0 i just get uninterested and check out. Will I have this problem in the Nuke program or will the Navy straighten me out.  I want to change and be on top of things so bad its just hard when nobody around you cares about their future like at the UA.  I can't wait for boot camp, I haven't been challenged since football ended senior year and I'm basically pissing my pants with excitement.  Also if i want to do fast attack will i most likely get it, 2. I DON'T absolutely DON'T want to be on a boomer.  Sorry I know how much it sucks when noobs ask dumb questions like this on forums I'm just so excited and anxious to get there!!

1. Not even those that DO acheive 4.0 "know" they can get it. Hard work, drive, humility and effort gets it for them.

2. Doing slow circles in an SSGN would give you plenty of time to work out, study your online classes, and if you are handy with needle and thread you could make lots of friends patching up stuffed unicorns. What's so great about a fast attack? That's right, you haven't been on one and don't really know how bad a deal you will get by not going cruisers. But I digress.

3. Fleet needs more A-gang! ;)

drayer54

Well, I started out wanting to be a diver but then i made a 97 on the asvab (same score I got in highschool  :P), and my recruiter talked to me about the nuke program.  I researched it and decided hands down being on a ssn is my dream.  I went to MEPS, everything checked out, and I signed my contract and voluntary Sub form.  I am just really concerned now that I might not have what it takes.  I go to the University of Alabama, and ever since I got here my grades have steadily fallen.  It was just really hard for me to stay focused on school, and I got really bored with the subject matter (business).  I always start out a semester strong, but then end up with like a 2.3 at the end.  I know I could have a 4.0 i just get uninterested and check out. Will I have this problem in the Nuke program or will the Navy straighten me out.  I want to change and be on top of things so bad its just hard when nobody around you cares about their future like at the UA.  I can't wait for boot camp, I haven't been challenged since football ended senior year and I'm basically pissing my pants with excitement.  Also if i want to do fast attack will i most likely get it, I DON'T absolutely DON'T want to be on a boomer.  Sorry I know how much it sucks when noobs ask dumb questions like this on forums I'm just so excited and anxious to get there!!
Be careful what you wish for!
Why on earth would you want an SSN? More importantly, let me tell you about these floating cities with the best food, a gift shop, dedicated facebook terminals, and fresh jet exhaust air!
But on a serious note, it is completely out of your control, so keep an open mind. Outside of requesting a Naw-fulk based carrier (like I did) you're rolling the dice.
Don't let Dave scare you on the grades, it's a fresh start and you should do fine as long as you put in the work.
Don't plan on anything getting straightened out (except for your study habits) due to the Navy, you'll pretty much be the same person, only more stories and gripes.
Good Luck to you!
« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2011, 11:48 by drayer54 »

Fermi2

We desperately need to get mikey off his happy pills and park him in front of a computer for an hour ;)

LOL thanks but it's not the pills, therapy is really really frustrating me.

gamma_ray

Fast attack life = 10 months of the year at sea,  (Inport, you'll have duty every 3 days.)  Cleaning all the time,  Canned/frozen food ALL the time, Cleaning all the time,  Sharing a bed with two other guys, Cleaning all the time,  Not actually doing any of the cool stuff you thought you would,  Having to listen to Officers think they're awesome, and cleaning.

Whatever platform you end up on, just remember, six and out!  Your quality of life will be a thousand times better once you're out of the Navy so just suck it up, get the training and experience, then get out and get a real job.  As far as studying, basically, you'll have to study since you're ordered to.  Plus, if you don't, you'll fail out.  Then you'll become a coner, you'll find out what that is.  You will have mandatory time to put in every week. It's not hard to make it though if you just try.  Good luck with everything.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Fast attack life = 10 months of the year at sea,  (Inport, you'll have duty every 3 days.)  Cleaning all the time,  Canned/frozen food ALL the time, Cleaning all the time,  Sharing a bed with two other guys, Cleaning all the time,  Not actually doing any of the cool stuff you thought you would,  Having to listen to Officers think they're awesome, and cleaning.

Whatever platform you end up on, just remember, six and out!  Your quality of life will be a thousand times better once you're out of the Navy so just suck it up, get the training and experience, then get out and get a real job.  As far as studying, basically, you'll have to study since you're ordered to.  Plus, if you don't, you'll fail out.  Then you'll become a coner, you'll find out what that is.  You will have mandatory time to put in every week. It's not hard to make it though if you just try.  Good luck with everything.

Is that sort of like beating your head against a wall because it feels so good when you stop?
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?